This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamestop chimes in on used-game blocking consoles

#11The DevourerPosted 2/8/2013 7:25:52 PM
Marblesbunbun posted...
The Devourer posted...
Marblesbunbun posted...
vigorm0rtis posted...
The Devourer posted...
Whether that's their business or not, it's common sense really. Look at the forums. Ask any random person about it. With how much money Gamestop makes from used games it's obvious it would hurt anyone who put out a console that didn't allow it.

That's why I don't think it'll happen. For instance, I have no brand loyalty, and although I don't buy used games, if MS did this and Sony didn't, I'd buy a Playstation next gen. No one side is going to take this step alone.

That said, a lot of people say a lot of crap on forums. They'll buy what console makers decide to sell them, in the end.

I think they're feeling one another out.
If one does it the other will, and vice versa.

Faulty logic. Anyone smart with any ounce of business knowledge would not block used games and push that the very second the other announced they would block them. Why? Because used games are a big market. Obviously. And any system that allowed them would instantly have more people on it and therefore more money to be made on it, ultimately. By not allowing used games they would simply be pushing people away unless they all did it which is a stupid idea.

I can say for a fact that if this happened I wouldn't buy a system that did it. If I did, I'd buy it literally dirt cheap and I would buy the games dirt cheap. They wouldn't be making any more money off of me.

Which is a very good point... erm..and I miss wrote how I meant it.
Feeling each other out and watching one another's moves is a better way to explain it. I still think like you do, if one does it the other won't.

Hell the moment the patent for the PS3 block dropped.. I'd have announce "Will allow used games"

However, there is one side to the coin we're missing... the developer/publisher side. EA who is actively fighting used games with all their stupid codes and procedures... might not support a system that allows used games over one that locks them out.
etc.

EA is using online passes, like Ubi and THQ did. It's not that big of a hindrance honestly. I'll take online passes over blocking used games any day. Plus, games that need them usually get sold for less at Gamestop used as well. So it's not as if you get sold a used game for 50 and you're paying 60 flat out, but either way tax works out to less on that too.

Online passes aren't really that bad and it's a way to recoup some costs on used games and it's not really intrusive at all. It doesn't hinder the single player gamer a bit at all. It's only a problem if you play online and like I said, as long as that gets factored in either way it's not that big of an issue.

That's the extent of any sort of fighting used games that I know of on consoles. And like I said, I'll take that gladly over overzealous alternatives like blocking used games all together and such.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#1295_EclipsePosted 2/8/2013 7:29:02 PM
The Devourer posted...

EA is using online passes, like Ubi and THQ did. It's not that big of a hindrance honestly

Seems to have worked well for THQ o.o Maybe companies should take note of what attacking used games is getting them.

Bankrupt, in the red, etc...

Make better games and they wont need to try to be greedy.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#13The DevourerPosted 2/8/2013 7:33:31 PM
95_Eclipse posted...
The Devourer posted...

EA is using online passes, like Ubi and THQ did. It's not that big of a hindrance honestly

Seems to have worked well for THQ o.o Maybe companies should take note of what attacking used games is getting them.

THQ was struggling regardless of the online passes. Not having them wouldn't have saved them at all.
---
#1495_EclipsePosted 2/8/2013 7:38:32 PM
The Devourer posted...
95_Eclipse posted...
The Devourer posted...

THQ was struggling regardless of the online passes. Not having them wouldn't have saved them at all.

Making better games would have o.o
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#15The DevourerPosted 2/8/2013 7:40:36 PM
lol it is true. I think THQ just overextended too much for what they were capable of. Instead of focusing on a few things they tried to do so many to save themselves and it didn't help. I think that played a big part. It's not like their games were all bad. SR3 was good and fun. UFC was good. They just weren't any sort of COD or BF or Halo level franchises.
---
#16popping4itPosted 2/8/2013 9:01:30 PM
would be nice if there was a gamestop free world.
---
Ravens WORLD Champions, Flacco = ELITE
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.
#17randomweirdoPosted 2/8/2013 9:10:14 PM
The Devourer posted...
EA is using online passes, like Ubi and THQ did. It's not that big of a hindrance honestly. I'll take online passes over blocking used games any day. Plus, games that need them usually get sold for less at Gamestop used as well. So it's not as if you get sold a used game for 50 and you're paying 60 flat out, but either way tax works out to less on that too..

And EA is also reporting some rather high losses this past year. People are not overly fond of online passes because they screw over the consumer in many ways than just being an extra cost associated with buying a used game. EA's tactics are definitely losing customers for them, of course they love to blame piracy and used games for it when the real issue is that people are sick of EA being greedy and pulling crap like that for games that are mediocre at best.

For instance, what about multiple people in a household? Online passes only work for one gamertag. So if there are multiple people, then the second person needs an online pass.

Also, the Games on Demand version of those games does NOT come with an online pass, despite technically being new.

Or what about if someone loses access to their account for some reason and has to create a new account? They then have to buy a new online pass as well even though they bought a new copy of the game.

And then there's the fun thing, EA's lovely age restrictions on their servers. So if someone redeems the online pass and then it turns out their account is still restricted from play because of age, they have to create a new account and buy a new online pass. That definitely needs some workaround or there needs to be a trial period where a person can be sure that the online even works for them before redeeming the pass.

It wouldn't be so bad if EA would actually provide more than one online pass per game or if there was the ability to request another one
#18Jiryn(Topic Creator)Posted 2/8/2013 9:41:32 PM
randomweirdo posted...
The Devourer posted...
EA is using online passes, like Ubi and THQ did. It's not that big of a hindrance honestly. I'll take online passes over blocking used games any day. Plus, games that need them usually get sold for less at Gamestop used as well. So it's not as if you get sold a used game for 50 and you're paying 60 flat out, but either way tax works out to less on that too..

And EA is also reporting some rather high losses this past year. People are not overly fond of online passes because they screw over the consumer in many ways than just being an extra cost associated with buying a used game. EA's tactics are definitely losing customers for them, of course they love to blame piracy and used games for it when the real issue is that people are sick of EA being greedy and pulling crap like that for games that are mediocre at best.

For instance, what about multiple people in a household? Online passes only work for one gamertag. So if there are multiple people, then the second person needs an online pass.

Also, the Games on Demand version of those games does NOT come with an online pass, despite technically being new.

Or what about if someone loses access to their account for some reason and has to create a new account? They then have to buy a new online pass as well even though they bought a new copy of the game.

And then there's the fun thing, EA's lovely age restrictions on their servers. So if someone redeems the online pass and then it turns out their account is still restricted from play because of age, they have to create a new account and buy a new online pass. That definitely needs some workaround or there needs to be a trial period where a person can be sure that the online even works for them before redeeming the pass.

It wouldn't be so bad if EA would actually provide more than one online pass per game or if there was the ability to request another one

I thought digital distribution came with the pass built in.
All I know is when I have to put a pass in for a single player game like DarkSiders 2 and Alamur there is a problem..

Also, I fully agree with the multiple accounts on the same system BS. Everyone in my apartment and all visitors can play all the DLC I have downloaded.. EXCEPT the online pass portion unless they have purchased it themselves.

A Good example is Arkham city, relative played it on my 360 with their account... was able to play Harleys Revenge.. but not able to play catwoman..
---
The patience it takes to play FFXI and EQ is the patience it takes to kill yourself by bashing your head into a wall.
#19The DevourerPosted 2/8/2013 11:48:33 PM
randomweirdo posted...
The Devourer posted...

Some of that is problematic and a hassle. I don't like not being able to take my brother's copy of a game and play online just because of having different accounts despite being in the same house.

Pretty sure digital copies should come with an online pass since you can't buy used for that, if it doesn't then take that up with customer support as you paid for a new game and didn't get the new game content that should have come with it. That's just crap if it doesn't and not really related to online passes but the way they handle a digital game.

I don't find it too much of a nuisance though and will gladly take that over no used games at all. It's also not so rampant that most games are even doing it, so that cuts down on it being much of a problem as well.
---
#20SheepinatorPosted 2/9/2013 7:50:55 AM
If there is no truth to the rumor, why did GameStop pre-emptively run a survey for it? They conveniently didn't put out the details of the survey either, so it sounds like they wanted the PR ammo for just such a time as this.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.