This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has a game ever made you quit

#31NellytheHoofPosted 2/9/2013 6:23:52 PM
Borderlands 2. On principle I always try and play my games through until the end even if I'm hating it, but I really could not stand that game. Every single time I played it I ended up turning it off in anger. Didn't get a single minutes enjoyment from it, and I think I got just over halfway through when I called it quits and gave up on it.
---
YNWA
#32rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/9/2013 7:28:02 PM
I've surely done this a bunch of times, but the most alarming example is Majora's Mask (though to be fair, my enthusiasm going into that game was pretty low because of the whole time-limit scenario, so maybe I was just looking for an excuse not to play it?)

Early in the game there is an optional mini-game where you have to whack a bunch of posts with your sword, and maybe you get a piece of heart or something.

Anyway, I couldn't do it. Tried probably 100 times at least, because I knew it was something I should be able to do, and because, occurring so early in the game, it shouldn't have been hard. Couldn't do it, quit the game, and never picked it up again. In fact, I traded it in the very next day, just to get it out of my sight.

Grand Theft Auto IV is probably another decent example. The rest of the game isn't great, it's just not so bad that it'd make me quit (even the constant babysitting didn't bother me quite enough to drive me away), but the needlessly realistic driving physics completely put me off that game, especially considering how many chase missions there are. People always would say "learn how to drive then", but that's beside the point: driving the way the game expects you to just isn't any fun.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#33rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/9/2013 7:32:02 PM
MertensCW posted...

Metal Arms Glitch in the System - The screen tearing drove me nuts. loved the game, but the tearing was too much to take.

I must have played that before I knew what screen tearing was, because I don't remember it. Plus I have such fond memories of that game. I like to be reminded of it from time to time because honestly, that's the game that taught me how to play FPS shooters. Obviously it's not an FPS itself, but it was the first shooter of any kind where I had to strafe, and before I played it I thought I'd never get used to those controls, and I bemoaned the fact that shooters didn't control like GoldenEye.

And now, I suddenly want to play it again.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#34stekim40Posted 2/9/2013 7:36:46 PM
Enchanted Arms - I bought it and never played more than 10 minutes of it, one of the characters really really annoyed me and I traded it in without seeing past the first 10mins.

Possibly one of the worst video game characters ever, a vile disgusting lowlife. I'm staggered that the devs put him in.
---
Playing: Ni no kuni, Far Cry 3, Skyrim , F1 2012
Waiting for: ELITE:Dangerous, GTA V, Pikmin 3, Dragon Age 3
#35zen_miseryPosted 2/9/2013 8:22:52 PM
Silent Hill Homecoming, all for the fact that there was no inverted option.
---
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu68/wizco02/3e5d92f6.jpg
#36EmperorBlackPosted 2/9/2013 8:37:59 PM
Darksiders 2 may be the latest one for me. I got hit with the apparently game-breaking glitch where it would freeze right after the narrator says "this is the story so far..". The things in that game are the very definition of "tedious". If I really have to start over from the beginning, then I'm done with that. There's too many occasions where you have to do 486,000 things and run around forever just to do something as simple as unlocking a certain door. The game feels too much like "work" rather than "fun".

*back in the day--- Super Ghouls and Ghosts, when at the supposed end of the game... you find out that you have to do it all over again to get the real ending. Nah, get out of here with that. Fortunately that was just a rental. It got returned early.
---
http://community.modnation.com/en-us/players/ZoomSurtr/creations
#37a687947Posted 2/9/2013 8:38:44 PM
dark souls, it is hands down the worst game i have ever played
#38SunDevil77Posted 2/9/2013 8:55:06 PM
Street Fighter X Tekken.

f***ing gem bologna. That ain't no fighter.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#39Gurn BlanstonPosted 2/9/2013 9:51:00 PM
*back in the day--- Super Ghouls and Ghosts, when at the supposed end of the game... you find out that you have to do it all over again to get the real ending. Nah, get out of here with that.

I did the exact thing, man was I pissed.
#40gogogodzillaPosted 2/9/2013 9:54:07 PM
Blade_Of_Ice posted...
Because you didnt like ONE, one single aspect of it that was enough to make you want to put it away and not play it again?

I've played alot of games i've truely HATED but i stuck with them to the bitter end, but it seems i've finally fallen victem to my own picky taste.

Final Fantasy X

The combat system was just a copy of 'rock-paper-scissors'. That, and Tidus was such a whiny little @ss that I actually started rooting for the villian.
---
My Chicken says, "Cluck!"