This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does Devil May Cry 1 get any better?

#1sonicteam2k1Posted 2/9/2013 4:28:06 PM
on mission 15 and it's pretty dull. I understand that the game came out many years ago and it has not aged well. Design is...well I wouldn't say completely bad, seeing that it was supposed to be resident evil 4, but it's kinda off or odd.

but the game just doesn't seem fun to me. I want to finish all of them (never played any) so I can play and compare them to the new one. See what the fuss is all about but I'm struggling to find some enjoyment in this game because it's just not a lot of fun.

I've played a ton of action games, Otogi 1 and 2, Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2, Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks, God of War 1 and 2, Bayonetta, Conan, Darksiders 1 and 2, Dante's Inferno, X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Ninja Blade....etc and I've had more fun with these with the exception of maybe Conan because of the last boss and Ninja Blade because of so many QTE's and way too many boss fights.

I hear that I should skip DMC2, but how much better is DMC3 than DMC1? Because it's hard to stay interested. Maybe it's because I should have played it years ago because a lot of games have improved design wise and going back to one of the earlier games of this type (sorta the first), Soul Reaver was before this I think)
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#2sineater912Posted 2/9/2013 4:32:53 PM
I love that game , then again I bought it on Ps2 when it came out. And if you dont like this game so far you may not like the series.
---
snake beater
#3vigorm0rtisPosted 2/9/2013 4:35:11 PM
If you don't like it by mission 15, you're probably not going to.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#4Dragon NexusPosted 2/9/2013 4:36:11 PM
DMC3 has much better cutscenes, a more interesting story, more varied combat, better graphics.

I cn never understand why people say DMC1 is the best for any reason other than nostalgia.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#5sonicteam2k1(Topic Creator)Posted 2/9/2013 4:48:25 PM
I'm mainly talking mainly about combat, level design and the structure of the game's design itself. you can tell it was supposed to be an RE game. I mean some mission last only a minute or so. the camera angles I cannot stand, the combat itself just sin't varied enough.

I'm thinking to myself the whole time "man I wish this game would hurry up so I can try out 3". I'm thinking about just quitting DMC1. It feels like a chore.

I really liked the demo to DMC4 but i have not played the full game yet.

going off the demo for DmC, I can say I like it better than DMC1, but not sure about 3 and 4 because I haven't played 3 at all and I only played a taste of DMC4 (demo)
---
See The Game Collection
http://www.gamespot.com/users/nights_team2k7/games_table?mode=own
#6Dark_SpiretPosted 2/9/2013 4:56:05 PM
DMC was interesting because it was the first of its kind. however the camera and save system killed its enjoyment for me. both in 2001 and now. As you said it hasnt aged well. 2 fares even worse. DMC3 and 4 is when the series really came into its own, outside of some atmosphere and a few enemy designs 3 and 4 are miles better in practically every other way. DMC4 has one of the best combat systems ever made, up there with Bayonetta.
#7Kid MazePosted 2/9/2013 5:11:42 PM
Does it get any better??? The first DMC is the only one I like in the series.
---
XBOX live gamertag: S1Y M4ZE
#8VincentVegaPosted 2/9/2013 6:55:15 PM
I'm playing through the series for the first to,e now after finishing DmC and am on 3 right now.

If you don't like the first game by mission 15 you should quit it. It really doesn't get much better and the story isn't too interesting either.

DMC2 has much better controls but the combat and weapons aren't very good and the camera is worse. It's difficult to get an S ranking in battle because the meter goes away damn near the same time you stop attacking and the third of fourth hit of every combo knocks your enemy far away so much of your time is spent running to an enemy. I would say skip it.

So far DMC3 is the most polished and does have the best story. It's the closest to what DmC is like and it reminds me a lot of Bayonetta in terms of difficulty. This is definitely the one to play out of the original 3.
---
"I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work."
Old Snake in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
#9DuwstaiPosted 2/10/2013 1:44:24 AM
DMC1 is the best in the series. I have no idea how people can not like it, but to each their own.

DMC3 is different quite different, even with all the similarities. So definitely give it a chance even if you dont like 1. Skip 2 t though.

DMC1 has the best : Atmosphere, level design, enemy design, enemy AI, bosses, weapons, art style, story and tone of the entire series.

DMC3 is much lighter in tone, and more typical action type game. Better combat as they added on the fly weapon switching and styles.

No idea how people think the story is good though. The brotherly rivalry was good but everyhting else with the main plot was awful. Not to mention the whole super corny tone really brought it down for me.

The cutscenes are absolutely awful though. So obnoxious and over the top corny. Like a bad anime. It doesnt feel Resident Evil at all like DMC1 (which some may prefer).

But TC, did you get a hang of the combat in DMC1? The fact that its timing based?
---
balls
#10RetroFanGirlPosted 2/10/2013 2:09:36 AM
Just play 3 then, the plot isn't that special and we'll never know what happens after 2 anyways(You really aren't going to want to play that one if you dislike 1)
---
Hi.