This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which game had the worse ending?

#1pothocketPosted 2/10/2013 7:56:03 AM
Which game had the worse ending? - Results (98 votes)
Mass Effect 3
70.41% (69 votes)
Monkey Island 2
29.59% (29 votes)
This poll is now closed.
We need to settle this once and for all.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 8:34:18 AM
Damn, forgot to add the "i have no idea - have not played both games" option because people will gladly still vote in a two option poll despite being completely ignorant of one of the choices.

Maybe I can just do another poll with some other games added. Any other high profile major releases with endings as bad as these two games?
---
#3flame030191Posted 2/10/2013 8:37:25 AM
Considering I actually liked ME3's ending...
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#4CyricsServantPosted 2/10/2013 8:39:15 AM
Sure . . .

Rage
Kane and Lynch 2 (not really a high profile release . . . but there you go)
Halo 2

I've heard some rumblings about Dead Space 3 . . .

Most cliff hanger endings are despised. I never saw Half-Life 2's, but I'm pretty sure that has a despised ending.

Also the original Fallout 3 ending before Broken Steel. That was god awful.
#5Dragon NexusPosted 2/10/2013 8:42:27 AM
When people try to play down Mass Effect 3's ending, especially when comparing to other supposedly bad endings throughout gaming history, they always seem to forget one very important aspect.

Mass Effect 3 was not only the culmination of a series, it was that plus the fact many of us made our own Shepard and had grown attached to him/her as well as the characters we'd met along the way. Mass Effect 3 was the finale of four and a half years of story build up and the ending was a big let down for the fans.

So plenty of game have had poor endings, but most of the obvious comparisons don't match in terms of long running stories or audience immersion and sympathy with the characters.
Imagne something like the original Star Wars trilogy ending in a similar way. Imagine the Death Star's shield *wasn't* up, they just flew in and blew it up with Luke still on board and everyone celebrated the end of the Empire while Han and Leia danced and no-one seemed to care about the protagonist just dying without a fight or a decent send off.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#6TravarkothPosted 2/10/2013 8:44:05 AM
From: Dragon Nexus | Posted: 2/10/2013 11:42:27 AM | #005
When people try to play down Mass Effect 3's ending, especially when comparing to other supposedly bad endings throughout gaming history, they always seem to forget one very important aspect.

Mass Effect 3 was not only the culmination of a series, it was that plus the fact many of us made our own Shepard and had grown attached to him/her as well as the characters we'd met along the way. Mass Effect 3 was the finale of four and a half years of story build up and the ending was a big let down for the fans.

So plenty of game have had poor endings, but most of the obvious comparisons don't match in terms of long running stories or audience immersion and sympathy with the characters.
Imagne something like the original Star Wars trilogy ending in a similar way. Imagine the Death Star's shield *wasn't* up, they just flew in and blew it up with Luke still on board and everyone celebrated the end of the Empire while Han and Leia danced and no-one seemed to care about the protagonist just dying without a fight or a decent send off.

I agree with you, good sir.
---
"Please stop being human. "
--- 343 Guilty Spark ---
#7pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 8:44:15 AM
In HL2 they elected to just not have an ending lol. It's not even really a cliff-hanger. So yeah, without the DLC episodes it is right up there as one of the worst endings.
---
#8BlueJester007Posted 2/10/2013 8:44:42 AM
ME3 has the worst possible ending in story telling history. I've never read a book or seen a movie that ended quite as bad.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#9Perfect LightPosted 2/10/2013 8:45:49 AM
There have been tons of bad endings in games, but none of them were hyped so much by the developers. BioWare told us stuff about the endings and we came to find out everything had been a lie. THAT is why people were so much. The video in my sig goes into much more detail about it.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#10Dragon NexusPosted 2/10/2013 8:46:14 AM
ME3 has the worst possible ending in story telling history. I've never read a book or seen a movie that ended quite as bad.

There's also this aspect.
It wasn't just disappointing in terms of being a lame way to end 4 and a half years of story, it was also very badly written with a quite literal deus ex machina sent into solve all the problems (while creating new ones. I haven't watched the extended cut yet, I was just too disappointed to go back to the game).
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln