This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Which game had the worse ending?

#21CyricsServantPosted 2/10/2013 9:40:18 AM
FFTHEWINNER posted...
pothocket posted...
Any other high profile major releases with endings as bad as these two games?

both those endings are 100000 times better than the dark ending of KOTOR2. Putting those without is a litteral crime.

It was abrupt and disappointing, but hey:

All of your enemies, minus the truth Sith, are dead.

At least that's something. I wasn't thrilled with it, but I've seen worse endings . . . ME3's, for example.
#22flame030191Posted 2/10/2013 9:46:46 AM
Does nobody remember that Mass Effect has never had a game release where they didnt expand it making more sense of the endings, if not adding on to them? Look at Mass Effect 2. Over a year after release they made Arrival. Before then, i know i was confused about the ME3 trailer of Shepard being in jail where ME2 hadnt shown that. Arrival added to the ending and explained he events surrounding not only the game itself, but the series as a whole. Mass Effect 3 had a couple of story expansions now, and we all know there is more to come. Whose to say we wont get something like Arrival to explain what all is going on, answer the lingering questions, and bring Shepard to an end? I mean it hasnt even been a year yet, and Arrival showed that they support their games for longer than most devs will.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.
#23Dragon NexusPosted 2/10/2013 9:55:48 AM(edited)
Dragon Nexus makes a good point but I wonder if he knows about MI2's ending and how truly awful it is.

Yup, played both enhanced versions on the 360.
Thing is, Monkey Island wasn't playing itself straight at any point. I took MI2's ending as all part of the joke. It was something of a parody. Besides, the ending was suggested to be an illusion brought on by LeChuck setting up for a sequel. Monkey Island 2 never promised an epic ending where all of your choices thus far would be taken into account and that there wouldn't be a simple A, B or C decision at the end.

BTW, I totally thought you meany Mission Impossible 2 at first.

Does nobody remember that Mass Effect has never had a game release where they didnt expand it making more sense of the endings, if not adding on to them?

Apart from Mass Effect 1, you mean?
Oh and Mass Effect 2 which didn't explain the ending because the ending was fine, instead making a short DLc that bridged the gap between ME2 and 3 but was then sort of scrapped in ME3 (There was going to be an actual court marshal scene and such as a recap, but they ditched it in the last minute).

Whose to say we wont get something like Arrival to explain what all is going on, answer the lingering questions, and bring Shepard to an end? I mean it hasnt even been a year yet, and Arrival showed that they support their games for longer than most devs will.

Yup, that's a great policy. Ship a game and then make people pay to see the REAL ending! I'm all on board that since it worked so well for Asura's Wrath.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#24JenniferTatePosted 2/10/2013 10:14:58 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
When people try to play down Mass Effect 3's ending, especially when comparing to other supposedly bad endings throughout gaming history, they always seem to forget one very important aspect.

Mass Effect 3 was not only the culmination of a series, it was that plus the fact many of us made our own Shepard and had grown attached to him/her as well as the characters we'd met along the way. Mass Effect 3 was the finale of four and a half years of story build up and the ending was a big let down for the fans.

So plenty of game have had poor endings, but most of the obvious comparisons don't match in terms of long running stories or audience immersion and sympathy with the characters.

I vote for ME3 because of this line of thought. Of course, I also think they were setting themselves up for backlash no matter how it played out.
---
I'm takin' no direction and I walk-a real slow
For the words of oppression are go, go, go
#25Dragon NexusPosted 2/10/2013 10:52:01 AM
I also think they were setting themselves up for backlash no matter how it played out.

there's something to be said for the notion of after 4 years there would be no ending that would satisfy everyone.
I love the LotR films, but I still with the end of RotK focussed more on what happened in the world of man, elves and dwarfs than the damn hobbits. Hell, having *any* dwarfs in the films other than Gimli might have been nice.

But yeah, I don't really buy that on the whole. Yeah it's difficult to make an ending everyone will like, I agree. And honestly, I thought their claim of having loads of different endings that took account of all of your choices up to that point was way over ambitious and a foolish thing to "confirm". But after the backlash from KotOr 1 I thought they would have made more of an effort. If you don't know, KotOr 1 had 2 endings, and the choice was based entirely around what decision you made before heading to the final area. You could play the game entirely light side and get the dark side ending if you chose the right conversation option, and vice versa.

ME3's biggest problem was the story leak, I think. They had to abandon the plot device they'd set up in ME2 in order to persue some ridiculous circular logic with synthetic AI and all that bunk. Granted I hear the original ending for that version had just two options, but it might at least have had some sense to it. Maybe, I dunno I've never read the original. But from the little bits I've heard, the idea of Dark Energy forcing suns to expand and destroy worlds sounded more interesting than sending synthetics to kill everyone before they built synthetics that killed everyone.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#26BlueJester007Posted 2/10/2013 11:30:27 AM
SparkItUp posted...
BlueJester007 posted...
ME3 has the worst possible ending in story telling history. I've never read a book or seen a movie that ended quite as bad.

You obviously have never seen the movie "The Village".

I have. The movie sucked, but it was not nearly as bad as the complete laziness, idiocy, and awkwardness that was Mass Effect 3.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#27FFTHEWINNERPosted 2/10/2013 12:02:36 PM(edited)
CyricsServant posted...
FFTHEWINNER posted...
pothocket posted...
Any other high profile major releases with endings as bad as these two games?

both those endings are 100000 times better than the dark ending of KOTOR2. Putting those without is a litteral crime.

It was abrupt and disappointing, but hey:

All of your enemies, minus the truth Sith, are dead.

At least that's something. I wasn't thrilled with it, but I've seen worse endings . . . ME3's, for example.

Actuallly,KOTOR 2's endings was MUCH worse than ME3's. Here is the reason why(note that i am comparing vanilla both,so no ED/Restored Files discussion pls:) :

there are two definitions to "an ending of a game",each believed by a group of ppl to be the "correct definition".

The first definition is that the "ending" is the final cutscene,which is where all the "green,blue,red" complainers come from(and which is the definition that i believe in). By that definition,the whole f***ing dark ending of KOTOR 2 is litterally just the camera flipping for 2 seconds(which gets even more horrible when compared with the ending to KOTOR which is as awesome and glorious as they come).

The second definition is that the "ending" mainly consists of the events LEADING to the final cutscene and the final cutscene is just a small part of it.even by that defnition,KOTOR 2's endings were much worse for MANY reasons. Here are 10 of them:

SPOILERS

1:the "big unbelieveble end game plot twist" is revealed to you clear as day in a discussion with her when you finish the FIRST planet if you have enough friendship with her(which you can easily have).

2:If her goal is to make you have the force yet willingly forfeit its power then why does she betray you even when you have done that (when you are light side).

3:if her goal is that then why does she herself use the force instead of forfieting it like she asks you to do?when you ask her that she answers that she "uses it even though she hates it" which doesnt even make a shread of sense. She should of led by example instead of asking others to do what she herself isnt willing to do.

4:The cutscene with the two robots should of led to an addisional scene/s but didnt.

5:The appearance of mara alone on malachor 5 even though most of the party had stronger reasons to be there yet didnt.

6:We jumped from that white women trying to uphold the jedi code to her trying to kill the jedi(light side you)in a blink of an eye without any explanation whatsoever.

7 and 8:The women who admired and loved you secretly and became your sith/jedi apprentace and sworn to follow you in everything instead of her former master simply abandons you without a care in the world when she told her that she killed you. She didnt try to take revenge/run to you/care at all. Instead,she simply left with your killer(number 7)and took her to her former master without any reason at all just bc she told her to do so even though you,her master and lover, told her to do the same hundrends of times and she always refused each time.

9:why did you go to malachor 5 without your party?

10: the ship gets destroyed and stuck yet it picks you(light ending) looking as good as new.
---
WHO AM I?FFTHEWINNER. WHO ARE YOU?URTHELOSER
http://i.imgur.com/xgSex.png
#28JenniferTatePosted 2/10/2013 11:53:50 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
I also think they were setting themselves up for backlash no matter how it played out.

But yeah, I don't really buy that on the whole. Yeah it's difficult to make an ending everyone will like, I agree. And honestly, I thought their claim of having loads of different endings that took account of all of your choices up to that point was way over ambitious and a foolish thing to "confirm". But after the backlash from KotOr 1 I thought they would have made more of an effort. If you don't know, KotOr 1 had 2 endings, and the choice was based entirely around what decision you made before heading to the final area. You could play the game entirely light side and get the dark side ending if you chose the right conversation option, and vice versa.

ME3's biggest problem was the story leak, I think. They had to abandon the plot device they'd set up in ME2 in order to persue some ridiculous circular logic with synthetic AI and all that bunk. Granted I hear the original ending for that version had just two options, but it might at least have had some sense to it. Maybe, I dunno I've never read the original. But from the little bits I've heard, the idea of Dark Energy forcing suns to expand and destroy worlds sounded more interesting than sending synthetics to kill everyone before they built synthetics that killed everyone.

That's how I feel they were setting themselves up. I recall a lot of the hype from ME2 to ME3 kept playing up how flexible and varied your choices will be, and found it to be overambitious: not just because I know plenty of people who take issue with the slightest of things (yay, comic fans!), but because Bioware just didn't seem the sort of studio to pull it off, with the amount of production and design they put into things. They craft things too carefully, and spreading things out in a Choose Your Own fashion seemed like things might be shallow.

I remember the KotoR ending, but I don't think I spent much time on forums back then. It was what it was, and that may be why I didn't think their ambitious scheme fit their MO.

I definitely agree with the story leak as a factor. I only saw snippets, but it was large scaled and seemed to fit the story. While I think ME3's ending was unimpressive, I didn't take to it as vitriolically as the vocal fans. Just based on what I saw from friends and other communities I lurk in, the primary complaint was your crew choices meant nothing, you didn't see much of the old crew (at the expense of new characters; I can get with that, I figured ME3 would have the Best Of crew), and the continuity questions over the scene where the Normandy lands and who is on it.

In that regard, I think it goes back to the problem of an ending that won't please everyone no matter what they did. Especially hitting up conventions and doing art commissions, I know a lot of fans of things sometimes take the most obscure characters to levels of adoration a mother would wish for. I'm sure there were people ticked that there wasn't a Volus on your crew.
---
I'm takin' no direction and I walk-a real slow
For the words of oppression are go, go, go
#29Mako_eyesPosted 2/10/2013 11:59:57 AM
Human Revolution was generally better than ME3 - including story-wise - but also had simply stupid endings. Story wasn't even any typical "save the world" campaign, but still all the endings only offered absolutes with totally unrealistic consequences (which actually are kinda impossible to predict).
#30SANDBOX_GAMERPosted 2/10/2013 12:30:30 PM
flame030191 posted...
Considering I actually liked ME3's ending...

---
I AM THE BIGGEST PRO WRESTLING FAN IN THE WORLD.
RIP"Macho Man"Randy Savage.You were a great wrestler and all wrestling fans will miss you.