This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Gamestop claims consumers unlikely to buy console that blocks used games....

#1staticxtreme5Posted 2/10/2013 8:31:19 PM
I think its funny that they feel the need to throw an opinion out there like that.

First off, they clearly have a huge stake at hand. If the next gen consoles don't allow used games, then there goes a TON of there business. Secondly, they are just plain wrong. Sure, there will probably be some hesitation, and it may take the consoles a little longer to pick up steam than it did this generation, but people will buy them. It may be a culture shock of sorts but people will adapt.

People will not just stop playing games because they cant buy used. You can say that a lot of them will move to PC, but the argument there is that PC is already pretty much doing that same thing. You cant buy a game on steam then lend it to someone. Yes, I know games are often dramatically lower in price on steam that what the consoles stores offer, but the point is still valid.

I think that the next gen consoles will have better stores, ones that allow all games to be digitally downloaded, and have sales much more frequently. If companies know you cant buy used then it would give them more incentive to lower prices of older games. Currently it pretty much does no good to lower the price of a game because stores that sell used games lower the used versions down to compensate. Its kind of a no win scenario in that regard.

Anyways, TL; DR: Gamestop is wrong if they think people wont buy next gen consoles blocking used games, and LOL at them for saying that. Shows how scared they are of a future where such consoles exist.
#2656stoogePosted 2/10/2013 8:32:02 PM
Gamestop claims right.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKk-9lPMQZ0
--Car boot and pigeon ****
#3Luthor_Posted 2/10/2013 8:32:21 PM
I'm going to punch the TC of the next used games topic.
---
*jumps out of bush and throws spear*
-GorillaOnRoof
#4staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 8:35:01 PM
Luthor_ posted...
I'm going to punch the TC of the next used games topic.

Come at me
#5PStrifePosted 2/10/2013 8:41:22 PM
He referenced the next tc of the future, you are a safe tc right now. Calm down tc.
#6SheepinatorPosted 2/10/2013 8:41:22 PM
Is there a used game issue? I haven't been keeping up with the news, what's the story?
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#7staticxtreme5(Topic Creator)Posted 2/10/2013 8:46:46 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't have made the topic but I just noticed the Gamestop comment. I found it completely hysterical that they come out and say that, as if they don't stand to lose a TON of money if it were to actually happen. Really, all it would take is each game to have an activation code to play the game. If you don't have a code, sorry but you can buy one from the consoles store for $20 or something. They already do that with some multiplayer games, I can see it spreading to include all games. The console themselves may not block the games, it may very well be the publishers with there activation codes. I'm not saying I'm really for or against the idea, just that it is a possibility...
#8KID VIDPosted 2/10/2013 9:00:05 PM
Oh, GameStop claims that, huh? I'll show them! I'm going to buy two consoles that block used games!
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#9mtjormitchPosted 2/10/2013 9:02:51 PM
Even though Gamestop is biased. It pretty much is 100% correct about anti used games.

Also, the fact of the matter is that there already was a system that had no used. The PSPGo... what happened to that one? Oh yeah, it is dead in a ditch! Deader than Vita and PSP combined!
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#1095_EclipsePosted 2/10/2013 9:05:28 PM
Gamestop is right.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\