This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Considering buying The Witcher 2, have a few questions

#1BronxstaPosted 2/10/2013 9:00:08 PM
So it was either Witcher 2 or Gears 1 and 3, but now I'm leaning more towards the Witcher. As a new Xbox owner, I need some long games with tons of content and I love gritty violent fantasy

So a few questions:
1) I read the game is two disks. How does disk switching work?

2) I played the hell out of Demons Souls. Is this game's combat similar (slow, methodical,etc) tactic and difficulty wise?

3) I know the game isn't open world but how much exploration is there? I know story progression is mainly linear but are there large areas to explore with multiple hubs/towns?

4) Do you only have the two swords or are there more varied weapons?

5) Does the world feel "alive"/immersive? I talking about little details like a day-night cycle, NPCs doing daily routines, random NPC events happening independent of your actions

6) How do combos work? Is it context sensitive or do you unlock new moves?

7) In each hub/act, do you have like a home base to store items, sleep, change armor, etc? Not necessary but I always like that in RPGs
#2Super CreaturesPosted 2/10/2013 9:06:04 PM
Bronxsta posted...

Unless they were able to take a similar approach as Rock Star did with LA Noire (making the relevant content from the other discs special DLC for the GoD version), that isn't possible, because it was released on Games on Demand (the 360 is not setup for digital disc swapping, so multi-disc games cannot be released on GoD unless they do it in a way similar to LA Noire), unless the second disc is a DVD that contains bonus material (not in-game content, but stuff like "making of" videos, wallpapers, etc).
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#3snowboard340Posted 2/10/2013 9:07:32 PM
1. Simple, when you finish one disc, it will prompt you to switch discs.

2, I wouldn't say the combat is as hard as Demons souls, but it takes a little bit to get used to it. A lot of tactics can be used by setting traps and using your abilities.

3. There is a pretty good amount of exploration, with a lot of interesting side quests. Also, the story is not something i would say is linear, due to the fact that it branches off after the first chapter based on your decision, bringing you to completely different areas.

4. You have the two swords for fighting monsters and humans, your abilities as a witcher, traps, bombs, and a few other things.

5. The witcher was the most immersive game i've played in a long time. Not sure how to describe though.

6. Not sure really. Don't remember combos being a big thing in the game.

7. There is a home base type thing in each chapter where there is a chest to store items, and all your friends hang out. Not really any sleeping, or places to change armor because you can do both those anywhere (not really sleeping but meditating).
#4snowboard340Posted 2/10/2013 9:09:17 PM
Bronxsta posted...

Unless they were able to take a similar approach as Rock Star did with LA Noire (making the relevant content from the other discs special DLC for the GoD version), that isn't possible, because it was released on Games on Demand (the 360 is not setup for digital disc swapping, so multi-disc games cannot be released on GoD unless they do it in a way similar to LA Noire), unless the second disc is a DVD that contains bonus material (not in-game content, but stuff like "making of" videos, wallpapers, etc).

Umm, plenty of games have multiple discs. Mass effect, lost odyssey, final fantasy...
#5Super CreaturesPosted 2/10/2013 9:15:10 PM
Mass Effect is only 1 disc (the Platinum Hits Edition has a content disc, but it is not a game disc, it is an install disc for Bring Down the Sky, gamerpics, and a theme. and the content disc is not included with the GoD version).

As for Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, or any other multi-disc game (except for LA Noire, which is a special case) those are not available on Games on Demand.
---
#6Mako_eyesPosted 2/10/2013 9:15:17 PM
Witcher 2 is all about story and interaction with characters. If that's what you want then it's the best of its kind, but if you're looking something else, then there are better options available.
#7snowboard340Posted 2/10/2013 9:17:19 PM
Mass Effect is only 1 disc (the Platinum Hits Edition has a content disc, but it is not a game disc, it is an install disc for Bring Down the Sky, gamerpics, and a theme. and the content disc is not included with the GoD version).

As for Lost Odyssey and Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2, or any other multi-disc game (except for LA Noire, which is a special case) those are not available on Games on Demand.

Where was GoD mentioned in the OP?
#8Super CreaturesPosted 2/10/2013 9:19:27 PM
snowboard340 posted...

Did you even bother to read my original post?

Witcher 2 is available on Games on Demand, therefore, it cannot be a 2-disc game, unless they were able to do something like what was done with LA Noire, or the second disc is not a game disc.
---
#9snowboard340Posted 2/10/2013 9:26:05 PM(edited)
snowboard340 posted...

Did you even bother to read my original post?

Witcher 2 is available on Games on Demand, therefore, it cannot be a 2-disc game, unless they were able to do something like what was done with LA Noire, or the second disc is not a game disc.

It is a 2 disc game though..... So that's why I didn't understand what you were saying. The game comes with two game discs, and a soundtrack disc.
#10Mako_eyesPosted 2/10/2013 9:24:20 PM(edited)
It is a 2-disc ga,e. The second might just for the enhanced content, I don't really remember. But it is on two discs.

edit. Just checked and and there seems to be no separate game disc and content disc. Just game disc 1 and game disc 2.