This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Running games off the HDD or just using the dvd drive which is better?

#1AzeiryousPosted 2/10/2013 11:23:29 PM
I have a halo reach slim 360 and the hdd just failed.

I was worried about ruining the dvd drive because i hear so many people have disk read errors. But installing every game you have running them of the hdd is not a good idea either.
#2JoboHotepPosted 2/10/2013 11:31:01 PM
If it came down to which one I'd rather have fail, I'd pick the HDD. A new HDD would be easier and cheaper for me to replace than a DVD drive.
---
If I don't meet you no more in this world then uh, I'll meet ya on the next one..And don't be late- Jimi Hendrix Voodoo Child
#395_EclipsePosted 2/10/2013 11:32:05 PM
I think you just had bad luck.
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#4Hucast9Posted 2/10/2013 11:35:23 PM
Some games load faster from the hard drive, and it makes little difference when it comes to load times for other games. For example, Lost Odyssey is supposed to have a huge increase in the loading speed of random battles when you install. Halo 3 is suppoed to not run well when installed on the hard drive.

The best thing you can do is go to every game's discussion board and search "install" to see if there is an improvement when you install.
#5shawnmckPosted 2/10/2013 11:49:06 PM
If you have a large hard-drive, then installing games to your hd will make the game load faster, and the system should run a bit quieter (no disc-drive noise).
In some cases, it can make the game run a tad bit smoother (supposedly..I never noticed anything, but some people swear by it).
But it can take up a lot of space if you do this a lot.

otherwise it makes no difference.
#6CapwnDPosted 2/11/2013 12:00:05 AM
HDD load time is faster than Flash drive. DVD is the slowest of all.
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#7The DevourerPosted 2/11/2013 12:04:32 AM
It's no different than running a laptop or anything honestly. Constantly accessing data on it especially with a page file.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#8Super CreaturesPosted 2/11/2013 12:28:18 AM
Hucast9 posted...
Halo 3 is suppoed to not run well when installed on the hard drive.

What is this, 2008?

That was patched many, many, many moons ago.

Halo 3 no longer has cache use issues when installed to the HDD (with the appropriate update of course, but, since it is required to play online in the first place, that shouldn't be an issue).
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#9RenamonPosted 2/11/2013 12:30:51 AM
Some games, even when installed, will spin the disc back up when you do something, which I think is even worse on the DVD drive than just playing from the DVD drive normally.

For example, I was recently playing Zone of the Enders HD Collection and had the game installed, and was going for the achievement to get A ranks on every rescue mission in ZOE1. As that is a pretty hard achievement, I would fail at getting A ranks frequently, and would have to quit to the main menu to reload my save to try again. However, every time I did quit to the main menu, the disc would spin back up. So I figured I'd just uninstall the game to keep the disc constantly spinning.

Honestly, 99% of games are made to load from the DVD drive anyway, so unless you're playing a game like Halo 4 that MASSIVELY benefits from being installed (1+ minute load times not installed, 2 second load times installed), then there's really no point to installing the game. The noise reduction isn't really a benefit either. I have a launch model fat 360 and it's pretty noisy ... when I listen to it. When I'm playing a game, I'm playing the game and don't even hear the 360 because my mind has learned to tune out the noise.
---
Movies that I believe will come true: Wall-E, Idiocracy
Halo 1 > all other Halo games
#10SolisPosted 2/11/2013 12:36:33 AM
Super Creatures posted...
Hucast9 posted...
Halo 3 is suppoed to not run well when installed on the hard drive.

What is this, 2008?

That was patched many, many, many moons ago.

Halo 3 no longer has cache use issues when installed to the HDD (with the appropriate update of course, but, since it is required to play online in the first place, that shouldn't be an issue).

Halo 3 was never, ever patched to resolve the loading times when installed to the HDD. The last patch for it came out months before the NXE update that allowed for harddrive installing was released. Even the Halo 3 Multiplayer disc that comes with ODST has slower loading when installed to the harddrive. I have absolutely no idea where the rumor came from that a patch was made for Halo 3 (or the ODST multiplayer disc) that improves the loading times when installed, because no such thing was ever promised or released.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review