This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

which difficulty do you choose when playing a game?

#11DarkSymbiotePosted 2/11/2013 2:50:23 AM
Normal or what the game specifically recommends. After playing God of War II on Easy, I have vowed to never play games on Easy ever again unless cheapness is involved like in Forza Horizon.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#12memphis12Posted 2/11/2013 2:56:22 AM
Super Creatures posted...
memphis12 posted...
I'm old school and games were very hard back in the day with sometimes no saves through a level *gasp*

To be fair, most games back then were difficult due to fundamental design flaws, not because of an actual attempt to make the game difficult.

Hell, the same thing could still be said today about some games.

Also, where is the option for Ninja Werewolf, or Ninja Tiger, or Ninja Vampire, or, you know, a combination of the three?

I refuse to associate with my lowly ninja canine cousins.

Megaman & Battletoads, ghost & goblins had their flaws, but I wouldn't go as far to day "fundamental design flaw" I think certain games were really hard back then. Doom, Who Dares Win 2, Into The Eagles nest also.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#13Marnex15Posted 2/11/2013 3:01:21 AM
Hard or Normal. Mostly hard. I never go above or below those two.

Super Creatures posted...
To be fair, most games back then were difficult due to fundamental design flaws, not because of an actual attempt to make the game difficult.

Yes. And actually, most of those design flaws were on purpose because developers had the mentality of "we need to encourage people to keep wasting quarters" back in the arcade days. When consoles came around they just had to adapt and make their games as cheap and unfair as possible to justify a full price tag on the 2-5 hour long games. No one complained about the length of games back then because it took most weeks just to get past certain levels/bosses and at the end they felt satisfied.

Ninja Gaiden is actually a good example of purposely cheap unfair level and enemy design, but I still love it.

Now developers can justify the price tag with graphics, story, and content rather than difficulty whilst also attracting casuals.
---
Official Lord of the Wiinet of LoZ: Skyward Sword | www.zeldawtwii.proboards.com
#14nickoman33Posted 2/11/2013 3:02:25 AM
if it's a game/genre I'm not familiar with, normal, anything else than I usually go one notch above normal.
#15vigorm0rtisPosted 2/11/2013 3:06:18 AM
memphis12 posted...

Megaman & Battletoads, ghost & goblins had their flaws, but I wouldn't go as far to day "fundamental design flaw" I think certain games were really hard back then. Doom, Who Dares Win 2, Into The Eagles nest also.

Depends on the genre, and how far back you're going. People who make noise about the 'casualization' of RPGs just weren't around for early RPGs. I know that's not a fine point anyone's making here, but when people make noise about Skyrim's HUD I want to lock them in a room with a copy of The Dungeon and a pad of graph paper.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#16DarkSymbiotePosted 2/11/2013 3:07:44 AM
Battletoads had difficulty in general. To see good difficulty see Contra.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#17memphis12Posted 2/11/2013 3:19:24 AM
Well, for whatever reason. They were hard. I'm not saying games aren't hard now. They are! But, I have the mentality that the harder a game the longer it will last & I can keep playing it. Maybe I got this mentality from when I was kid, I don't know. This is just me of course.

PS, I know Contra is hard, but I never played it. So didn't want to mention for that reason.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#18i8g4wlPosted 2/11/2013 3:36:28 AM
It depends of the game and my mood.

I just play and if it doesn't fit my fun I adjust the difficulty.
#19VeliconisPosted 2/11/2013 4:05:08 AM
I usually start off on normal, but as of late, I've been starting on hard for pretty much every game I've been playing.
---
Your = belonging to you, you're = you are, their = belonging to them, they're = they are, there = not here.
#20pakathecatPosted 2/11/2013 5:54:46 AM
Generally on the easiest, as I play more to relax and unwind and for exploration and story, but it depends on the game, as how easy the easiest is can vary quite a bit. Also can depend if there are achievements attached to higher difficulties.