This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Dead Island worth a look?

#1HaloODSTDPosted 2/11/2013 8:09:16 AM
Enjoy zombie games (Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead) and open world, quest games (Fallout 3, Saints Row, San Andreas, Oblivion). Never played any loot games (Borderlands) which I hear is a similar comparison of Dead Island. Now I heard Borderlands 2 is a better game, but the whole killing zombie theme is much more appealing IMO.

I'm concerned about:
- Is there split-screen co-op?
- How long is the game (without a lot of grinding)?
- Does the game encourage grinding?
- Are there boss battles?
- I heard the melee system sucks, is it kinda like Fallout 3's melee combat?
- Do NPCs fight alongside you?
- What is the save system like?
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
PSN: Rutgers Student
#2kingbahamut83Posted 2/11/2013 8:23:31 AM
Been awhile since last played it. It was fun but there were times where I had to grind to get past missions. Npcs fight but aren't very good unless you save them. Not sure about split screen.

I would wait. I hear there is a new one coming, plus this one is full of hackers according to the boards.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
The R in my tag is apparently invisible in COD to everyone.
#3JKSonicPosted 2/11/2013 8:24:12 AM
Despite it's flaws I had a great time with it. And it's not the melee combat that sucks (think Skyrim, not Fallout 3) it's the ranged combat that sucks. If it sounds appealing to you, you'll probably like it. Been a while since I played so I'll answer best I can..

- Is there split-screen co-op?... No, but it can be played as a drop-in drop-out type deal. When you're in an area that other people around your level are in it'll match you up with people and give you a prompt on the screen to join them. I actually only played a small portion co-op though.

- How long is the game (without a lot of grinding)?... I think it lasted around 30ish hours for me?

- Does the game encourage grinding?... You don't really grind exactly. There's just a ton of side missions you can do so in doing them you sort of grinding.

- Are there boss battles?... Yeah, kinda sorta. Not many but there's definitely battles set up like boss battles would be (get stuck in a room with a hulking zombie, etc) and there's a definitive end boss as well.

- I heard the melee system sucks, is it kinda like Fallout 3's melee combat?... Like I said I didn't have a problem with it. It's not perfect but it's just as good as Skyrim was IMO and better than FO3 and Oblivion were.

- Do NPCs fight alongside you?... On a few rare occasions but it's never really a win or lose situation with them. It's one of those cases where they are supposed to be there with you but you never see them unless somebody plays co-op with you but yet they pop out during cutscenes.

- What is the save system like? As far as I remember when you save and restart you come back at one of the hubs...same as when you die. Could be wrong though don't remember for sure. It's never too hard to navigate back to places though, the hubs are well places and there's plenty of vehicles around.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#4King_AkeelaPosted 2/11/2013 9:03:48 AM
Absolutely! It is a great game with a few flaws. As long as you can except a game for what it is, and not what it isn't, you will find plenty to like.
---
Gamertag:Kreator82
#5HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 9:06:04 AM
ugh well tbh I wanted to buy this for the PS3, very disappointing seeing the flaws (freezing, save glitch, framrate drops) on the DI board... :(
---
#6Denizen_Of_DarkPosted 2/11/2013 9:27:36 AM
Keep in mind, tc, that this is an rpg in the first person perspective, not an fps.

U find blueprints and parts and craft weapons(either through exploration or quest rewards). There is no gunplay until late game, and only one character is proficient in guns, tho everyone can use them.

4 classes, each specializing in a different style(throwing expert, blunt weapon expert, blade expert, and gun expert). More than 1 person can be the same class, so dont worry if u and a buddy both want to be throwing knives around.

Co-op is online only i believe, as someone else posted. Very co-op centric game, tho it can be solo'd.

Some graphical hiccups but overall beautiful game.

Good music..... too bad its the same 2 or 3 songs over n over again(it is really good tho so im sure u wont get tired of hearing the music)

Overall i wish good loot dropped a little more frequently, closer to borderlands, but that doesnt detract from the game... its pretty fun and u can get it for cheap now. Lucky u, if u like it and want to get dead island 2: riptide then u can transfer ur game save data and keep leveling ur character in the new game. I say, especially at this point if u can get it for less than 30 dollars, its a definite try..... a definite buy if u like zombies, rpgs, lootgrinds, visceral melee combat, fps gameplay, or any combination of the above.
---
Warfriends: You must be lonely, unless you are a female; which in that case u are merely a figment of my imagination
check quote for XBL GT
#7HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 9:33:26 AM
Denizen_Of_Dark posted...
Keep in mind, tc, that this is an rpg in the first person perspective, not an fps.

definitely. I see it more like Fallout 3 than L4D
---
#8shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 9:35:11 AM(edited)
HaloODSTD posted...
Enjoy zombie games (Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead) and open world, quest games (Fallout 3, Saints Row, San Andreas, Oblivion). Never played any loot games (Borderlands) which I hear is a similar comparison of Dead Island. Now I heard Borderlands 2 is a better game, but the whole killing zombie theme is much more appealing IMO.

I'm concerned about:
- Is there split-screen co-op?
- How long is the game (without a lot of grinding)?
- Does the game encourage grinding?
- Are there boss battles?
- I heard the melee system sucks, is it kinda like Fallout 3's melee combat?
- Do NPCs fight alongside you?
- What is the save system like?

I personally think it is an awesome game that is underrated.

-but there is no split screen co-op (there is none in Borderlands either).

- the game should last you easily 20 hours ++ (depending on how you play)
Plus there is a New game + (just like Borderlands)

- not really. You can grind if you want to, but it never really feels like you have to. (its like Borderlands)

- there are a few boss battles, but nothing big or spectacular. Basically you fight new and tougher zombies.

- The melee combat is brutal & really fun...nothing like Fallout 3.

- No, NPC's mostly give you quests and information.
Unless you play co-op On-line, you are fighting by yourself.

- The game saves automatically (randomly & constantly), although there is also a manual save in the menu.
Just be careful, because the game saves randomly, and some people would screw up their saves by hastily turning off console while game was saving.
Always do a manual save when you're ready to quit and let the game go quit to menu, and you'll never have any problems.
#9Banana_ManaPosted 2/11/2013 9:38:58 AM
I liked it - coop is a lot of fun!!!
---
An Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman walk into a bar. The barman looks at them and says: "Is this some kind of a joke?
#10shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 9:42:58 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
ugh well tbh I wanted to buy this for the PS3, very disappointing seeing the flaws (freezing, save glitch, framrate drops) on the DI board... :(

^ The vast majority of bugs & glitches are grossly over-exaggerated.
Most of them were related to people playing On-line with hackers & modders, who infected the people's games they played with because they were using moded items that conflicted with the game.
This was mentioned by the Devs.

Also, the game automatically sets itself to On-line by default.
People playing solo while On-line usually experience more lag.
Turn it off when you play solo, and your fine.
And the game isn't that bad with lag to begin with...like I said, most of the complaints are extremely over-exaggerated by trolls & haters.

its an awesome game, and if you like zombie games then you owe it to yourself to check it out.

However, if you are unsure, then just go to youtube to check out game-play footage &/or walkthrough videos to get a better idea.

I personally think its one of the best zombie games out there.

The game starts off a bit slow, but picks up as you level up.
it really is similar to Borderlands in structure, as you have these big maps to explore, lots of quests, color coded weapons, leveling up & putting points into skills, and etc.
The only difference is that it is more focused on melee (although there are guns), and it involves zombies.