This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Dead Island worth a look?

#11HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 10:44:27 AM
shawnmck posted...
HaloODSTD posted...
ugh well tbh I wanted to buy this for the PS3, very disappointing seeing the flaws (freezing, save glitch, framrate drops) on the DI board... :(

^ The vast majority of bugs & glitches are grossly over-exaggerated.
Most of them were related to people playing On-line with hackers & modders, who infected the people's games they played with because they were using moded items that conflicted with the game.
This was mentioned by the Devs.

Also, the game automatically sets itself to On-line by default.
People playing solo while On-line usually experience more lag.
Turn it off when you play solo, and your fine.
And the game isn't that bad with lag to begin with...like I said, most of the complaints are extremely over-exaggerated by trolls & haters.

its an awesome game, and if you like zombie games then you owe it to yourself to check it out.

However, if you are unsure, then just go to youtube to check out game-play footage &/or walkthrough videos to get a better idea.

I personally think its one of the best zombie games out there.

The game starts off a bit slow, but picks up as you level up.
it really is similar to Borderlands in structure, as you have these big maps to explore, lots of quests, color coded weapons, leveling up & putting points into skills, and etc.
The only difference is that it is more focused on melee (although there are guns), and it involves zombies.

oh wow thanks, that cleared up a lot. Hopefully i can get a few of my buds to buy this too.
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
PSN: Rutgers Student
#12JKSonicPosted 2/11/2013 10:46:05 AM

Yup, no more bugs/glitches than in any other game of this size.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#13HaloODSTD(Topic Creator)Posted 2/11/2013 10:51:58 AM
JKSonic posted...

I'm talking 'bout the PS3 version....
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
PSN: Rutgers Student
#14shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 10:53:49 AM
Also keep in mind that there are two versions of the game...

There is the regular launch version of the game, but you can down-load all the latest patches.

Then there is the "Game of the Year" version, that has all the patches and DLC on the disc.

You can probably get the GotY edition for $20 bucks new.
I saw it at my local Wal-Mart for that price.
#15shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 10:57:00 AM
HaloODSTD posted...
JKSonic posted...

I'm talking 'bout the PS3 version....

^ Doesn't matter...
Both PS3 & XB 360 versions were patched within a few months to take care of most of the problems.

If you get the regular version, make sure you down-load the latest patch.
If you get the GotY edition then it already has the patches.

BTW
That's not to say that there won't be any slow-down....
The game is a big open-world game...there is going to be some stutters in frame-rate here & there when you encounter larger mobs of zombies.
But it really isn't that bad.
I think Far Cry 3 is much worse.
#16JKSonicPosted 2/11/2013 11:00:42 AM
^ Doesn't matter...
Both PS3 & XB 360 versions were patched within a few months to take care of most of the problems.

---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#17shawnmckPosted 2/11/2013 11:00:48 AM
I also wanted to mention that there will be semi-sequel that comes out in April, titled..."Dead Island: Riptide", which adds a day & night cycle, random weather, new locations & zombie-types, new modes of travel (boat), new types of game-play (in water), and defense (build barriers), and a new character.

It's not the same game with new stuff, but is a separate game...and is supposed to retail for $50 bucks.