This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is it time to let RARE go?

#11ADHDguitarPosted 2/12/2013 12:26:47 AM
oasisbeyond posted...
^ Kinect Spoorts = a fad, just like the wii was. Don't think we will see those numbers again.
But, who knows, gaming as never been this bad... and good? lol

Kinect Sports is not a fad, it's a cash in on a fad.

But yeah, Rare should just die.
---
Still waiting for Diddy Kong Racing 2
#12zyxomma100Posted 2/12/2013 12:39:12 AM
Rare shouldn't die, because IMO they were the best overall developer for the 360.

But they will die, because no one buys their awesome games.
#13staticxtreme5Posted 2/12/2013 12:47:40 AM
scoobydoobydont posted...
Rare did some of their best stuff this gen IMO, and I'm hopeful they have something interesting planned for Durango launch/unveiling. MS is more generous/adventuresome at the beginning of generations (well, so far).

Really? You honestly think the games they made this generation can even hold a candle to there old games? Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Either you are too young to have had an N64, or are just not right in the head....
#14lolamericansPosted 2/12/2013 1:14:30 AM
its funny how everyone in this topic acts like they know anything about how devs work
---
All that is necessary for Americans to triumph is for Asians to do nothing
#15tisukoPosted 2/12/2013 1:18:01 AM
Rare did some of their best stuff this gen IMO, and I'm hopeful they have something interesting planned for Durango launch/unveiling. MS is more generous/adventuresome at the beginning of generations (well, so far).

Really? You honestly think the games they made this generation can even hold a candle to there old games? Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Donkey Kong 64 and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Either you are too young to have had an N64, or are just not right in the head....

Killer Instinct 1 and 2. Even though I didn't care for 2 as much, but it was still a good game.
---
+_AN|?+=E+ ?w?_+ i
PSN: tisuko GT: k0tet5u
#16zyxomma100Posted 2/12/2013 1:21:57 AM

I guess I'm not right in the head, since I consider Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts to be better than any of those games.
#17staticxtreme5Posted 2/12/2013 2:17:24 AM(edited)
zyxomma100 posted...

I guess I'm not right in the head, since I consider Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts to be better than any of those games.

Nah, your probably just under 16 yrs old so you wouldn't know how huge Rare games were for Nintendo.

Edit: I bet if you polled 1000 gamers who have owned both a N64 from launch and a Xbox 360 from launch that very few of them would list a Rare game in there top 25 games on Xbox 360, while they would have 3-5 Rare games in the N64 top 25. To say that there best work is on the Xbox is just stupid.
#18zyxomma100Posted 2/12/2013 2:36:30 AM
Nah, your probably just under 16 yrs old so you wouldn't know how huge Rare games were for Nintendo.

You gave two options (as if they were the only two):
-Under 16.
-Not right in the head.

I jokingly chose the second one in an obvious jab at your flawed logic.

And while your point about picking the top 25 for each system may be true, it's also quite silly and non-telling.

If we were to perform a magical time experiment where Rare's games like Kameo, BKNB, and Viva Pinata were released on the N64 (with appropriate graphics), and games like Goldeneye, DK64, etc. were all released on current-gen systems, we'd see the exact same effect. You'd see the old N64 games praised as Rare's best work.

The reason why Rare's non-Kinect games have done so badly is because the game industry and market has changed. Even if they could theoretically make inarguably the best Banjo Kazooie game of all time, it wouldn't sell well as a standard release today.
#19scoobydoobydontPosted 2/12/2013 2:45:04 AM
staticxtreme5 posted...

I started gaming with Atari before Nintendo was a thing the average American had even heard of (it was just a logo on my Atari Donkey Kong cart), and yes I do. I honestly don't care what your idea of "right in the head" is, I enjoyed Rare's 64 days, but they were by a wide margin the most overrated thing from that era, then and now. I would honestly take DKC or Star Fox Adventures over anything they did on 64 (just in case you think this might be an xbot thing). I'd take Viva, Kinect Sports, and especially Kameo (which is a personal fav of mine, not making any claims about objective quality here) over that stuff too. And while I'm blaspheming by not agreeing with the herd, I think PDZ was just as good as PD, and just plain never liked Goldeneye (liked Turok, Medal of Honor, Disrupter, Powerslave and Doom, Alien Trilogy, DN3D... aka pretty much every fps of the era not named Goldeneye, better).

*eagerly awaits you or another poster to pretend my opinions aren't valid because only popular opinions count*
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#20MudbuttSanchezPosted 2/12/2013 3:03:37 AM
Funny how a company named hasn't put out any good games in 8 years.