This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

2013 has been disappointing so far with Dead Space 3 and Aliens Colonial Marines

#31StarGoyPosted 2/16/2013 4:21:19 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Nothing annoys me more than enemies not reacting to damage, it's what made Castlevania: Lords of Shadow's combat so annoying, you were just whipping away at a big rock that hurt you, it compltely removes any sense of dealing damage.

Plus the damn things keep running at you, getting right up in your face to the point where aiming your gun means you're aiming past them, so you have to back up until you're eventually against a wall and can't shoot the necro and blah blah blah.

The first paragraph is hilarious. That's one of my pet peeves in any game, when it feels as though you're basically punching/shooting at air, and there just happens to be an enemy standing there -- like you're attacking -through- them. Coincidentally, even though I hate it, LoS didn't that grate much.

Second paragraph is like a direct product of Hollow Enemy Syndrome. I hate when attacks have next to no stopping power. Weapons in Dead Space I+II seemed potent. I'll have to check it out.
#32shagadelicPosted 2/16/2013 4:35:29 PM
Dead Space 3 is far from disappointing. Fantastic game. If you enjoyed the first 2 then there's absolutely no reason why you'd hate part 3.

Aliens is another matter entirely. I was really looking forward to it. Too bad it t turned out the way it did. That's the last time I listen to Randy Pitchford when he hypes up a game.
#33BlueJester007Posted 2/16/2013 5:27:31 PM
Saying Dead Space is survival horror is like saying the Walking Dead is an action game. Not in the least.

None of them were scary. Scary =/= jump scare. The games are startling, sure but scary? No.

They have always been a sci-fi third person shooter. That's it. If you were expecting more with the third game, then you have been terribly mislead.

Inb4that'slikeyouropinionman.
---
There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#34Dragon NexusPosted 2/16/2013 8:25:55 PM
Pandoras Tower is not great. Got it last year(europe) very average. Iwould say it's easily the worst of the 3 JRPG's from the "trio" released over here in Europe. I'd rate them Xeno as 9 Last Story as 8 and Pandoras as 6.

What makes you say that? Granted I've not beaten it yet, but it's a very unique experience that I enjoyed as long as I was playing it.
I really need to get that out of my backlog some time.

The first paragraph is hilarious. That's one of my pet peeves in any game, when it feels as though you're basically punching/shooting at air, and there just happens to be an enemy standing there -- like you're attacking -through- them. Coincidentally, even though I hate it, LoS didn't that grate much.

It works okay for some games if you have some kind of instant block button you can rely on (Ninja Gaiden, for example). An unflinching enemy is understandable in certain circumstances, like if you're fighting a big ogre or something, but if I'm fighting a goblin or some zombie thing the whip is going to knock it around some. It's annoying comboing an enemy as it casualy walks towards you and you pray you get a random flinch animation before it catched up and whollops you, completely unphased by the raining sharp blows of nothing you land upon it.

Dead Space 3 is far from disappointing. Fantastic game. If you enjoyed the first 2 then there's absolutely no reason why you'd hate part 3.

I can think of plenty of reasons...

Saying Dead Space is survival horror is like saying the Walking Dead is an action game. Not in the least.

None of them were scary. Scary =/= jump scare. The games are startling, sure but scary? No.

They have always been a sci-fi third person shooter. That's it. If you were expecting more with the third game, then you have been terribly mislead.

I used to say this...but honestly I'd say they're action horror games. They're not survival horror (unless you play Hardcore mode in DS2 and 3). I used to say "They're not scarey, ergo they're not horror" but there's more to horror than just being scarey, I think. It helps, sure, but the necromorphs are horrorish enough to me to really classify the games as horror games. Just not Amnesia psychological horror or Silent Hill atmospheric horror.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#35josh924Posted 2/16/2013 8:49:20 PM
Yes, the first month and a half of 2013 has been a disappointment. </sarcasm>
---
I like how the GameFAQs spellcheck shows that the word "Wii" is fine, but the words "Xbox" and "Kinect" show up as typos.
#36chrono2888Posted 2/16/2013 8:59:46 PM
I agree with you tc. Colonial Marines could have been a epic game. But they rushed it. I would have rather waited another year for it to be something to remember and enjoy then what it is now. But Eh that's devs for you. I would say that I hope the next installment of the game will be better but I doubt it
#37singhellotakuPosted 2/16/2013 9:07:25 PM
Dead Space 3 plays almost exactly the same as one and 2 I don't know what everybody is whining about, supplies are plentiful and the crafting system makes everything overpowered, but its no more or less a horror game than the first two, its just easier and the story is stupid.
#38Dragon NexusPosted 2/17/2013 7:10:14 AM
I agree with you tc. Colonial Marines could have been a epic game. But they rushed it. I would have rather waited another year for it to be something to remember and enjoy then what it is now. But Eh that's devs for you. I would say that I hope the next installment of the game will be better but I doubt it

It says a lot when a game that's given 6 years of development could be considered rushed.

Fact is Gearbox were working on it in bits and pieces over tim with Sega being nice enough to grant them extention after extention to get it done while they spent all their time on Borderlands 2. In the end they outsourced the coding and completion of the game to someone else just to get it done then shipped whatever they came up with.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#39Flatline05Posted 2/17/2013 8:05:02 AM
glassghost0 posted...
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
DmC .. Sly Cooper 4.

Great start to a great year - here's what I'm looking for next -

Crysis 3 - Feb 19
Tomb Raider - March 5
God of War Ascension - March 12
Bioshock Infinite - March 26
Splinter Cell Blacklist - Apr 1
The Last of Us - May 7

Splinter Cell does not come out in April!! It comes out in August

Also, The Last of Us comes out in June now.
---
GT: Rollinstone24, PSN: Rollinstone24
#40DonomegaPosted 2/17/2013 8:08:41 AM
I wouldn't say its been disappointing, we're only less then two months into the year.

Sure nothing that has come out this year has peaked my interest. But maybe I'm just old :(
---
I don't remember playing on the NES and seeing "Thank you Mario! But our Princess is in another DLC"