This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Gearbox a good developer?

#1mtjormitchPosted 2/12/2013 5:55:00 PM
Judging by how they treat everything that isn't Borderlands. I am starting to wonder if they are nothing but a half assed company that would rather out source their work instead of making good things at this point.

Just curious on how people view them here.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#2RetroFanGirlPosted 2/12/2013 5:57:56 PM
No, Borderlands is kind of bad on its own too, but is fun enough with friends.
---
Hi.
#3Aadrian1234Posted 2/12/2013 5:58:35 PM
Borderlands is my favorite series as of now, but I don't really care about any of their other games. I know how much people hate them for other mediocre games, but ever since Borderlands they have been on my top developer's list. Just my opinion
---
PSN/GT-Aadrianseth Message me via PSN Xbox live or i will ignore the request
3DS: 0817-4248-5560 PM me your FC if you add me
#4glassghost0Posted 2/12/2013 6:00:07 PM
Borderlands is extremely overrated
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428
#5tracazoidPosted 2/12/2013 6:04:16 PM(edited)
I find them solid developers, they made fine Half Life and Brothers in Arms games long before they became more popular for Borderlands, yet they do seem to have a hit and miss record. They make quality titles like the Half Life expansions, Band of Brothers and Borderland titles yet when they pick up other people licences(Not Half Life) they seem to drop the ball a bit.
#6ded5833Posted 2/12/2013 6:02:54 PM
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-12-aliens-colonial-marines-primary-development-outsourced-to-section-8-developer-timegate-studios-report

They're a good developer. Everyone seems to forget they made really good Half Life expansion and the Brothers In Arms series.

Also good developers make a bad game or two, Valve made Ricochet for example. No one's perfect.
---
These counting things are stupid.
People that agree: 22
#7shawnmckPosted 2/12/2013 6:11:42 PM(edited)
I really like Borderlands...but that could be a testament to the formula, and not necessarily the company as a Developer.

I would like to think that Gearbox is a good Developer...but with Aliens: CM coming out in the shape it did makes me doubt.

I was willing to cut them some slack for Duke Nukem Forever...but this is not a good sign.
And the game has been in development since 2008 to boot.

While I won't say they are a bad Developer, their reputation has been tarnished as far as I'm concerned.
#8Dark_SpiretPosted 2/12/2013 6:09:48 PM
their good. assuming of course they dont try to pick up the pieces of games that were already a mess to begin with. Brothers in Arms and Borderlands ARE great series and they did do the Half-Life expansions well.
#9DieMyBridePosted 2/12/2013 6:10:04 PM
ded5833 posted...
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-12-aliens-colonial-marines-primary-development-outsourced-to-section-8-developer-timegate-studios-report

They're a good developer. Everyone seems to forget they made really good Half Life expansion and the Brothers In Arms series.

Also good developers make a bad game or two, Valve made Ricochet for example. No one's perfect.

My thoughts exactly. It's amazing how the people on the internet turn on people so easily.

Also calling Borderlands overrated is ridiculous. Calling anything overrated is ridiculous.
---
XboxLive GT:JoeStillLife
#10SparkItUpPosted 2/12/2013 6:13:52 PM
glassghost0 posted...
Borderlands is extremely overrated

^ this...while it is opinion..it's definitely one i share..

Now that all being said, universally, it is considered a hit...but really that is their only hit. BiA Hells Highway didn't get recieved well, DNF did not get recieved well and neither has Aliens.

Some may say that DNF & Aliens shouldn't count because they were projects they took over, but fact of the matter is, when you are the final word that it gets put out and you are the one the finished the development and you put your name on it, then you take the criticism that comes with it, because you sure as hell would have taken the accolades had they been successful.

As I said in a similar topic earlier...I think Gear is a developer that is still trying to find itself and its niche...They aren't bad, but they aren't good either.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.