This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The Orange Box worth 19.99/1600 MP?

#1BronxstaPosted 2/12/2013 5:31:39 PM
So I'm like really late to the party...I never played the Orange Box. Never played any of the Half Life games or Portal 1. (Did finish Portal 2 for PS3)

Now I never play multiplayer and only have Silver so I wont be playing TF2

My only concern: does Half Life 2 still hold up today, in terms of mechanics, set pieces, graphics, length? I know the Episodes and Portal are newer so those aren't an issue.

How does Half Life 2 compare to today's shooters? Similar controls? Any replay value? Is it purely linear or is there any exploration/multiple paths and tactics through levels? Is the AI still good
#2TheBeastWithinPosted 2/12/2013 5:37:30 PM(edited)
Orange Box is awesome, but honestly $20 is about the highest price you will find for it these days. Is it worth $20 in a vacuum? Yes, absolutely. Is it worth $20 in a marketplace where Wal-Mart throws it in a bargain bin for $2.50? Not really.

EDIT: Right, your question. HL2 definitely holds up today. The graphics are older, but it actually plays better than most modern stuff. Controls aren't an issue. My only complaint is that it causes me a bit of motion sickness, which is unfortunately a fairly common side effect of that game engine.

---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#3vigorm0rtisPosted 2/12/2013 5:35:06 PM
HL2 hasn't aged well visually, but the design is so solid it still holds up.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#4RayzerTagPosted 2/12/2013 5:36:07 PM
It's worth waaay more than that, even without TF2, but you can probably get it for even cheaper than $20.
---
Baseless prediction as of 01/04/13 : the next Xbox will be called the Xbox On.
#5Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 2/12/2013 5:42:22 PM
RayzerTag posted...
It's worth waaay more than that, even without TF2, but you can probably get it for even cheaper than $20.

Was considering buying it from Games on Demand, but $20 is a ripoff?

Ok, is Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising or Crysis 1 worth $20?
#6Ginsu VictimPosted 2/12/2013 5:45:33 PM
Well worth it. I own all of Valve's stuff free on Steam, but I still bought every 360 game.

I'm currently on my third playthrough of Half-life 2. I think the graphics still look pretty good, but it's the story and gameplay that I come back for each time.

Portal is excellent. Definitely a short game, but one I've played through so many times. I'm torn on which Portal game I like better.

I don't play multiplayer, so I have no comments on TF2.

The two follow-up episodes of Half-Life 2 are great and leave you wanting more.
---
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)
#7Dark_SpiretPosted 2/12/2013 5:58:59 PM
The "problem" with HL2(and 1) now is that every shooter coming out has copied its design and many have done it better now(the game is nearly a decade old now of course). However the game still has great storytelling/character interactions, some of the best still. Shooting is still solid and varied and the games from HL2 to Episode 1 to Episode 2 show a nice steady stream of polish and improvement to its design. Portal is easier and shorter than 2, but also more open in its puzzle approach. Unfortunately because you played 2 it migth not seem as memorable, however i feel its still a tighter expereince even if its only a few hours long. HL2 and its episodes will last you atleast 20+ hours. Id say its worth it (if you cant get it on pc).

and yes since you asked, Crysis 1 is worth $20, OFP is meh though.
#8ScymitePosted 2/12/2013 6:14:27 PM
Orange Box is the best $20 you'll ever spend.

It was one of the best $60 I ever spent 6 years ago. Amazing value.

Half-Life 2 is arguably the best fps ever, and my personal favourite.
---
"I always found it both amusing and oddly appropriate that the rhetoric of the Information Age ended up being so... binary." -- Time_pants
#9JackBurton85Posted 2/12/2013 6:23:29 PM
Dark_Spiret posted...
The "problem" with HL2(and 1) now is that every shooter coming out has copied its design and many have done it better now(the game is nearly a decade old now of course). However the game still has great storytelling/character interactions, some of the best still. Shooting is still solid and varied and the games from HL2 to Episode 1 to Episode 2 show a nice steady stream of polish and improvement to its design. Portal is easier and shorter than 2, but also more open in its puzzle approach. Unfortunately because you played 2 it migth not seem as memorable, however i feel its still a tighter expereince even if its only a few hours long. HL2 and its episodes will last you atleast 20+ hours. Id say its worth it (if you cant get it on pc).

and yes since you asked, Crysis 1 is worth $20, OFP is meh though.

I don't think that's a problem at all with Half Life. Doesn't matter that other games have done similar things, it still is an amazing series with a briliant, incredible atmosphere and style to it.

Topic creator needs to play the first Half Life too though.

And yes, it's definitely worth it.
#10stawg007Posted 2/12/2013 6:36:52 PM(edited)
Il get hated for this but I think HL2 and it's episodes are very overrated! It may have been good back in the day but I played it for the first time in 09 or so and thought nearly everything about it was abysmal

Got to Ravenholm and only kept playing to get my money's worth, at that point I gave up hoping it would get better!

Portal is good though despite being overrated IMO and TF2 was awesome when I played it but it might be dead now

Not worth 1600 IMO but only because I hated HL2

Edit: since you won't be playing TF2, definitely don't bother unless you can get it very cheap and as for HL2's ageing, I thought it had aged terribly 4 years ago nevermind 2013
---
lPayneToTheMaxl