This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Halo Wars vs Xcom. Which game should I play next?

#1HELZEROPosted 2/12/2013 9:38:33 PM
Any comments appreciated.
#2SparkItUpPosted 2/12/2013 9:41:45 PM
I liked both...but they are entirely different games...that being said, since you asked for a recommendation, I have to say XCOM...it's just honestly my fav game this gen....

Now, as far as Halo Wars, that is probably my fav RTS.
---
http://youtu.be/_JyETEkNXSY
Not only the best football player alive...the absolute sexiest.
#3Limp_sugarPosted 2/12/2013 9:45:40 PM
I've spent more time with Xcom this gen than any other game aside from oblivion. It's very good.
---
Support your developer. Buy new.
#4WiiLover94Posted 2/12/2013 9:47:47 PM
I've never played Halo Wars but I sunk hours of time into X-Com and thought it was excellent. Definitely a unique approach to turn-based gaming.
---
"He never saw Molly again."
XBL GT: Hellcamino420
#5JimmyFraskaPosted 2/12/2013 9:54:25 PM
Halo Wars is a bad attempt at a console RTS.

XCOM is a strategy game that works just as well on the console as it does the PC.
#6Apac4245Posted 2/12/2013 9:59:19 PM
Xcom all the way. I have both. I still haven't given Halo Wars the time that it deserves, that is, only playing it a couple hours, but the game just isn't that gripping. If you're very into Halo lore it might do more for you. Then again I was kind of into Halo lore and I just got bored. Its a fairly watered down RTS. Not bad but it is very limited due to the nature of being on a console and controller.

That being said, XCOM is just a terrific game. It probably is my game of the year for last year. It is very "fresh" even though it is a remake game using an older style of game design (turn based strategy). XCOM is just utterly fantastic and I think offers a very unique gaming experience. I seriously loved naming my characters after friends and family and then talking about how sorry I was when they died. When my brother kicked the bucket (in game obviously) I was devastated. He was my medic and had healed tons of my other soldiers. Next time I saw him (in real life lol) I gave him a huge hug and apologized.

Seriously XCOM is awesome!
#7metroidman92Posted 2/12/2013 10:22:03 PM
JimmyFraska posted...
Halo Wars is a bad attempt at a console RTS.

XCOM is a strategy game that works just as well on the console as it does the PC.

And what constitutes as a good attempt? It's a solid console RTS, that I would still play if it weren't Halo. Being Halo themed is just icing on the cake.
---
Xbox Kinect. Works better as a MoCap tool for amateur animators than it does as a gaming gimmick.
#8Madness2012Posted 2/12/2013 10:22:33 PM
To different genre of games,but if i had to pick i would go with XCOM....
#9DaLaggaPosted 2/12/2013 11:02:13 PM
XCOM, easily. Halo Wars is just horrible because the whole point of an RTS is that they involve a lot of strategy. Halo Wars, on the other hand, is so dumbed down that it's essentially a "babies first RTS". In other words, it's the Fable 3 of the RTS genre.
#10jorgestevensonPosted 2/13/2013 5:18:24 AM
DaLagga posted...
XCOM, easily. Halo Wars is just horrible because the whole point of an RTS is that they involve a lot of strategy. Halo Wars, on the other hand, is so dumbed down that it's essentially a "babies first RTS". In other words, it's the Fable 3 of the RTS genre.

Please go into further detail on this. You seem to be incredibly knowledgeable about Halo Wars.

Halo Wars is a great game. To compete online at the highest levels, you absolutely positively have to know what you're doing and how to coutner what the opponent is doing. You have to grab strategic points on the map, decide when to tech up, decide which units or mix of units you will concentrate, whether or not to research upgrades for the units you are making...AKA pretty much every single thing you would do in any other "real" RTS.

There's control groups, stacking moves, microing units during combat...what exactly is it missing?