This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Halo Wars vs Xcom. Which game should I play next?

#31darkharePosted 2/13/2013 9:52:22 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
HELZERO posted...
Im actually more interested in halo wars bc of the coop but now im shifting toward xcom. Is the multi in xcom any good or is it unbalanced?

It is a bit unbalanced. I'd play it for the SP myself.

if you know its unbalanced, care to explain how?
---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#32HELZERO(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 9:57:26 AM
When game first came our ppl were complaining about snipers camping at rooftops. Is this still the case?
#33jorgestevensonPosted 2/13/2013 1:06:53 PM
DaLagga posted...
jorgestevenson posted...
Full disclosure - how many hours of HW have you ever played in your entire life?

The amount of time your commands take depends on how quickly you can press one button on the d-pad and then the x button to implement your command. Does that take 3 seconds?

It's a good game. If anything negative could be said about it, it would be about gameplay balance and the lack of a 3rd faction. Controls are excellent.

I only played it a couple of hours specifically because it was so dumbed down and bland. You most certainly cannot select and micro individual units with any level of proficiency, no matter how good you are. Not to mention that you can't even hotkey units (a vital feature in order to micro). Maybe if there were M&K support, but there isn't. Hell, you can't even build your base like a real RTS. And seeing as how base building is such a huge part of these games, that's a travesty. In addition, resource collection and management has been simplified to the point where anyone can master it.

I'm not saying that the game requires no strategy at all exactly. It's just that the amount of strategy involved is pitiful compared to even low end RTS's on the PC because Halo Wars was never designed to be a seriously competitive RTS. It was designed so that Halo fans could watch perdy colors and explosions. It may be fun for very casual RTS players, but for anyone else, it's just boring because most of the depth that you'd expect from a title in this genre has been ripped out. In short, go play Starcraft instead (or pretty much any RTS designed for PC).

Pro tip -

(1) To select an individual unit, highlight it and press A.
(2) To select all of the units in a small area (3-4 units), hold down A.
(3) To select all of the units of the same type on your screen, highlight one of them and double tap A.
(4) To micro units of different types on the screen, press RB to select all units on screen then RT to select units of only the specific type you want. Thus you can create multiple control groups on the same screen.
(5) The game automatically creates control groups for you when your troops spread across more than one screen. To cycle through the control groups, press the down arrow on the d-pad.
(6) Before bashing Halo Wars for having bad controls, you should learn how the controls actually work.

One last thing -

Halo Wars was not made for Halo fanboys. It was originally created by Ensemble Studios (you're a PC gamer so you should know who they are) as a sci-fi RTS. Late in its development cycle, Microsoft asked that they adjust the game so that it was based on Halo lore. So, the game was originally designed as a stand-alone game, not as a cash-in. You can read about that here - http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-09-27-halo-wars-bungie-saw-it-as-whoring-out-franchise-says-ensemble-founder. Key quote -

It was never meant to be a Halo game, however, and that unfortunately led to all sorts of friction between Ensemble, Bungie and Microsoft.
#34SparkItUpPosted 2/13/2013 1:27:14 PM
HELZERO posted...
When game first came our ppl were complaining about snipers camping at rooftops. Is this still the case?

No, it's actually slightly worse...Snipers using squad sight, archangel armor.
---
Does a time ever come with men stop acting like boys?
#35Halo_ForeverPosted 2/14/2013 12:08:12 AM
darkhare posted...

What Spark said above me, or then the garden variety snipers on rooftops with no ladders. Additionally you'll have the guys who just place their entire team in overwatch.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#36darkharePosted 2/14/2013 6:20:43 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
darkhare posted...

What Spark said above me, or then the garden variety snipers on rooftops with no ladders. Additionally you'll have the guys who just place their entire team in overwatch.

apparently your referring to multiplayer, ive only played that with friends and have yet to come across anything i would consider unbalanced.
---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#37Halo_ForeverPosted 2/14/2013 7:37:45 AM
darkhare posted...

apparently your referring to multiplayer, ive only played that with friends and have yet to come across anything i would consider unbalanced.

Yeah I was referring to the XCom MP.

Most games are okay with friends, the difference between Perfect Dark with friends and Perfect Dark with random is quite absurd.
---
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....
#38DyingPancakePosted 2/14/2013 7:40:26 AM
I have not played either of them, but just based on gameplay alone Halo Wars looks like it would be much more fun
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2
#39darkharePosted 2/14/2013 8:55:49 AM
DyingPancake posted...
I have not played either of them, but just based on gameplay alone Halo Wars looks like it would be much more fun

HaloWars pretty much amounts to taking a group of units and throwing them at the nearest group of enemies as fast as possible just like almost every other rts game, xcom:enemy unknown actually takes strategy to play well.
---