This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people put such a premium on replay value?

#1alienfreaks04Posted 2/13/2013 4:04:35 PM
My friend says he definitely liked BioShock, but thinks it's overrated because it has low replay value (That's completely his opinion on its replay value, but that isn't my point). If you loved the game, you loved the game.
And I mean "built in" replay value, like from extra stuff to do. Not just replaying because you liked the game.

Obviously if a game will give you only an 8 hour campaign, wait for a price drop. And BioShock's 12-15 hr campaign is a perfect length for that type of game.

He also told me about him finishing DmC. He liked it a lot, said it was great fun, but that he can't see himself going back to play it again. The way he said it sounds like he wouldn't recommend it to people. Maybe he means just not at full price.

If you feel like you won't play a game's campaign ever again after you beat it because of replay value, that shouldn't LOWER your opinion of the game's quality.

"Game was awesome, but I wouldn't play it again. Therefore, 6/10"
That makes no sense to me.
---
My signature is better than yours.
#2OKRecords1138Posted 2/13/2013 4:06:21 PM
I replay very few games. I either like them, or I don't.
---
See all your favorite toys of yesterday and today at The Toy Box - thetoybox1138.blogspot.com
#3Perfect LightPosted 2/13/2013 4:08:18 PM
I think people mean that the gameplay wasn't good enough for them to ever come back.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIbu3wJDmVQ - New gaming series
My podcast: hulkshare.com/inferiorminds
#4JoeyFNKPosted 2/13/2013 4:09:16 PM
Because some people think that spending 60 bucks on 45 hours of fun is worth more than paying 60 bucks for 7 hours of fun.
---
Last 3 Games Beat: Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Arkham City, Transformers: War for Cybertron
#5Geist des DurcheinanPosted 2/13/2013 4:19:48 PM
Trying to create some sort of dollars to time spent ratio on games is silly.

$60 means different things to different people.

I may think $60 for 6 hours of quality entertainment is money well spent. You might think you need twice or three times that much time to feel you've gotten your money's worth.

It's all relative and shouldn't be part of the equation when assessing the quality of a game.

To answer the question more directly, I think a lot of people today just play games to get from cut-scene to cut-scene until the story's over. I suppose games are more of an "experience" for them. As for me, I played through Bioshock at least four times and loved every minute of it.
---
"If God were suddenly condemned to live the life which he has inflicted on man, he would kill himself"
#6alienfreaks04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 4:21:28 PM
JoeyFNK posted...
Because some people think that spending 60 bucks on 45 hours of fun is worth more than paying 60 bucks for 7 hours of fun.

Would you consider a longer game having more replay value? It's REplay value, not just value.
For example, in Mass Effect you can play as multiple classes. Same for Oblivion, and many other RPGs. A game with multiple ways to play would make you come back for a second playthrough. That's replay value.
---
My signature is better than yours.
#7Chewy247Posted 2/13/2013 4:24:01 PM
Because its interesting to play the game in different ways.
---
#TimesUpPunk
#8nothingbeastPosted 2/13/2013 4:27:05 PM
As for me, I played through Bioshock at least four times and loved every minute of it

I played it once, did some 'cheevo hunting, and put it away.

For you, it was probably worth the full price. I bought it used for $20. I might have had a lower opinion if I paid $60.

Replay value is absolutely important for me.

I paid $60 for Skyrim. First character got 80+ hours. Would have been well worth the price. However, replay value got me to create 2 more characters and try different builds. Because of replay value, my 80+ hour game turned into over 200 hours.

Same situation for Fallout 3.

Expecting me to pay $60 for a game that's 8 hours and I won't go back to..... not worth my money. Talk to me when you get closer to the $20 mark.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#9WinternovaPosted 2/13/2013 4:27:06 PM
Sometimes I want a game I can play time and again (Mass Effect).

Sometimes I want a game I can play once, enjoy thoroughly, and then sell off or keep in my collection (Bioshock).

It depends on my mood. There's nothing wrong with a short game with no "replay value" as long as it's good.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#10TheFeshPincePosted 2/13/2013 4:27:40 PM
You guys are freaking me out... I do not count my money by how much time I will be entertained by the goods I purchase with that money. That is crazy and is hurting my head. That said... I can see how you could feel like you got your money's worth if you like a game so much that you want to play it more than once.
---
You wanna make me a sandwich?