This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people put such a premium on replay value?

#21CienoKahloPosted 2/13/2013 6:19:51 PM
alienfreaks04 posted...
My friend says he definitely liked BioShock, but thinks it's overrated because it has low replay value (That's completely his opinion on its replay value, but that isn't my point). If you loved the game, you loved the game.
And I mean "built in" replay value, like from extra stuff to do. Not just replaying because you liked the game.

Maybe your friend just didn't like Bioshock *that* much?

Using a book analogy, I'm a cheapskate but I'd still pick a $25.00 100 page book of the best story ever over 600 pages of mediocrity. I wonder what your friend thought of Kingdoms of Amalur.
---
Now playing: Sleeping Dogs, Dragon Age: Origins
#22alienfreaks04(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 7:02:59 PM
CienoKahlo posted...
alienfreaks04 posted...
My friend says he definitely liked BioShock, but thinks it's overrated because it has low replay value (That's completely his opinion on its replay value, but that isn't my point). If you loved the game, you loved the game.
And I mean "built in" replay value, like from extra stuff to do. Not just replaying because you liked the game.

Maybe your friend just didn't like Bioshock *that* much?

Using a book analogy, I'm a cheapskate but I'd still pick a $25.00 100 page book of the best story ever over 600 pages of mediocrity. I wonder what your friend thought of Kingdoms of Amalur.

He enjoyed the game. Never finished it, but enjoyed it.
I'm the same, but I do want to finish it someday.
---
My signature is better than yours.
#23ThePowerOf140Posted 2/14/2013 6:25:21 AM
The Devourer posted...
Most people don't want to spend money on music they're only going to listen to once. Why do you think it's any different with a game?

--
#24darkharePosted 2/14/2013 8:19:06 AM
Geist des Durcheinan posted...
Trying to create some sort of dollars to time spent ratio on games is silly.

$60 means different things to different people.

I may think $60 for 6 hours of quality entertainment is money well spent. You might think you need twice or three times that much time to feel you've gotten your money's worth.

It's all relative and shouldn't be part of the equation when assessing the quality of a game.

To answer the question more directly, I think a lot of people today just play games to get from cut-scene to cut-scene until the story's over. I suppose games are more of an "experience" for them. As for me, I played through Bioshock at least four times and loved every minute of it.

dollar to hour ratio is different for each individual because each individual gets payed a different amount per hour for the type/level of work that they do, that is the point. i dont use it because i think my $/hr equation is correct for everyone, i do it because its correct for me. use the amount of $ you make per-hr to see if you feel a games worth the amount of time you put into it.

$60 for a 5hr game, if your making $6hr at work is less than half the amount you payed so your already -5hrs, which is $30 in the hole. your not only losing $ on the amount you spent per-hr, but your spending twice the amount of time working for less amount of time of gametime.
---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#25EvilCactusPosted 2/14/2013 9:41:52 AM
Dollar to hour ratio is one of the worst "qualities" used by gaming journalists to review games. The way some games integrate story and gameplay together naturally lends itself to a relatively short game. An excellent short game such as Bioshock or Portal 2 is worth replaying just for the quality of its campaign. Certainly more replayable than a mediocre game that pads itself through fetch quests, cutscenes, and tracked on multiplayer, i.e. Assassin's Creed 3 or Mass Effect 3.
---
sig here
#26metroidman92Posted 2/14/2013 9:59:47 AM
Geist des Durcheinan posted...
Trying to create some sort of dollars to time spent ratio on games is silly.

$60 means different things to different people.

I may think $60 for 6 hours of quality entertainment is money well spent. You might think you need twice or three times that much time to feel you've gotten your money's worth.

It's all relative and shouldn't be part of the equation when assessing the quality of a game.

To answer the question more directly, I think a lot of people today just play games to get from cut-scene to cut-scene until the story's over. I suppose games are more of an "experience" for them. As for me, I played through Bioshock at least four times and loved every minute of it.

$60 for 6 hours of entertainment equates to $10/hour. I make $8/hour at work, so I better be getting a lot more bang for my buck.

Something like Mass Effect has tons of replay value, and I'm still finding new ways to enjoy it years alter. To me, that is money well spent.
---
Carry we who die in battle over land and sea
across the rainbow bridge, to Valhalla! Odin's waiting for me!
#27TheBlueStigPosted 2/14/2013 10:04:28 AM
alienfreaks04 posted...
"Game was awesome, but I wouldn't play it again. Therefore, 6/10"
That makes no sense to me.

The sad fact is that there's too many people who DON'T THINK.....just like you.

People want replay value because they're sick and f***ing tired of paying full price for 5 hour games, then paying even more for DLC packs that only increase playing time by 10 minutes.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#28JenniferTatePosted 2/14/2013 10:07:41 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
If a game isn't worth playing twice, it's probably not worth playing once. See: film and books.

Agreed.
---
Now you know I ain't wit that ****, Lieutenant
#29darkharePosted 2/14/2013 10:09:03 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
If a game isn't worth playing twice, it's probably not worth playing once. See: film and books.

yeah i whole-heartedly agree with this, almost all of the games i really enjoyed playing ive equally enjoyed playing them a 2nd time and maybe even a 3rd.
---
micro-transactions in $60.00 retail games, it will get worse devs are just boiling the frog slowly so we dont notice.
#30pothocketPosted 2/14/2013 10:13:00 AM
EvilCactus posted...
Dollar to hour ratio is one of the worst "qualities" used by gaming journalists to review games. The way some games integrate story and gameplay together naturally lends itself to a relatively short game. An excellent short game such as Bioshock or Portal 2 is worth replaying just for the quality of its campaign. Certainly more replayable than a mediocre game that pads itself through fetch quests, cutscenes, and tracked on multiplayer, i.e. Assassin's Creed 3 or Mass Effect 3.

Agreed
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson