This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Whats so great about Spelunky?

#1AbstraktProfSC2Posted 2/13/2013 8:36:18 PM
Bought it today. Ive been playing it....youre supposed to beat it in one sitting?
I just dont get why everyone on this board is saying its the best game ever
I regret buying it. Even with the sale price :/
---
http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/Abstrakt1/fullnxe/card.png http://i.imgur.com/IpQzE.png
#2GorillaOnRoofPosted 2/13/2013 8:37:16 PM
You died.
---
A Mod/Admin replied on 11/5/2011 6:06:56 PM:
Telling other users to smell your ass is trolling. End of story.
#3rttnPosted 2/13/2013 8:46:25 PM
Because like Dark Souls, it is notoriously hard. Gamefaqs has an obsession for those kinds of games. I own Spelunky as well, while i enjoy it I don't really ever recommend it because there is so much to the game that isn't presented to the player without digging around boards for information (ie: getting to places like the castle,worm, or black market). I feel that is a bad choice in design for any game
---
GT: rttnCRAFT
400msp will get you Bloody Good Time. If you don't have it, you should.
#4Arucard05Posted 2/13/2013 9:19:55 PM
It rewards patience and an understanding of the game mechanics. It doesn't hold your hand, and it takes time to understand how you should approach it.

Modern game design has in many way veered in a completely opposite direction so for a lot of gamers the appeal simply isn't apparent.

Give it more time, is really the only advice I could offer.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
Home of the world famous Retroulette™.
#5PurestProdigyPosted 2/13/2013 9:23:00 PM
It's difficult, rewarding, and has a ton of secrets.

The random element is kind of annoying, but most platformers use memory and adaptation to game physics as a basis for skill and Spelunky gets points for being different in that regard.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#6AbstraktProfSC2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 9:45:14 PM
Arucard05 posted...
It rewards patience and an understanding of the game mechanics. It doesn't hold your hand, and it takes time to understand how you should approach it.

Modern game design has in many way veered in a completely opposite direction so for a lot of gamers the appeal simply isn't apparent.

Give it more time, is really the only advice I could offer.

I can see that. I dont mind a game being hard but this game just feels cheap alot of times. And nowadays, I dislike short games that you have to start all over on when you die.
Ive been heavily gaming since the NES but I cant help but feel spoiled by modern games. I like to feel like Ive made progress on my games. Save it and pick up where I left off later. I thought after I got to 2-1, if I died, I'd restart at 2-1 :/
I guess I just need some other point in the game than simply getting a high score. In my opinion, the game just doesnt deserve as much appeal as it gets. I really have been trying to like it
---
http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/Abstrakt1/fullnxe/card.png http://i.imgur.com/IpQzE.png
#7Arucard05Posted 2/13/2013 9:51:43 PM
this game just feels cheap alot of times.

It definitely does....at first. The longer you play the more you understand how every single action you make will effect the world and vice versa.

I like to feel like Ive made progress on my games.

I can understand that. But this game does that for me very well. At first I couldn;t even get to 2-1. Then with practice I did and then I had trouble getting to 3-1 and so forth. And then you have the shortcut progression to work on. And even now, after 30 something hours of playing, I'm working on making it to the City of Gold. There's a sense of progression all over.
---
www.bewaretherobotsquad.com
A place where things happen. Sometimes awesome things.
#8Highly EvolvedPosted 2/13/2013 9:52:39 PM
TC, although I haven't played Spelunky I felt exactly the same way about Braid. The game was just cheap on the player, withholding information expecting you to just guess it, and then passing it off as "a good challenge for the player"

I REALLY wanted to like it, but in the end I only have so much free time for videogames and I can't spend it all trying to guess what the developer wanted me to do.

I enjoy a good challenge like everybody else, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

If this is the case with Spelunky, just let it go. Not all games are for everybody.
---
It is the beginning of my end. I've raised you well, GameFAQs. Now go, make me proud. *sniff* - CjayC 7/19/2007
#9PurestProdigyPosted 2/13/2013 9:55:46 PM
AbstraktProfSC2 posted...
Save it and pick up where I left off later. I thought after I got to 2-1, if I died, I'd restart at 2-1 :/

You can start at 2-1... Provided you give the miner supplies 3 times. So basically you unlock a level to start at permanently when you've gotten there 3 times with the right items.
---
[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[|||||||||||||]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]
#10Carte360Posted 2/17/2013 6:23:31 AM
rttn posted...
Because like Dark Souls, it is notoriously hard. Gamefaqs has an obsession for those kinds of games. I own Spelunky as well, while i enjoy it I don't really ever recommend it because there is so much to the game that isn't presented to the player without digging around boards for information (ie: getting to places like the castle,worm, or black market). I feel that is a bad choice in design for any game

This is what I would call, a ps2 starter.
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk