This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do games on specific consoles have their own "feel" anymore?

#1pothocketPosted 2/14/2013 6:35:31 AM
Started thinking about this because of Aliens and how it "feels" like a sega game. It reminds me of why I liked Genesis graphics as opposed to SNES. The Genesis was darker and gritty, like there was dirt between the pixels lol. At the time, SNES and N64 were the light and fuzzy systems while Genesis and Saturn/PS1 were the dark and gritty.

But it doesn't feel like that anymore, does it? I don't own a PS3 so I don't know about direct 360 vs PS3 comparisons but do any games feel different depending on which system you play them on? Have consoles lost their personality?
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2DarkSymbiotePosted 2/14/2013 6:38:49 AM
Specific feels are between Wii vs. PS360.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#3GGearXPosted 2/14/2013 6:40:10 AM
It's mostly because these days graphics are so high up that it doesn't matter anymore. The old war destroyed the different consoles from the past. Hopefully this new war will eliminate one of the big 3
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#4ObtikPosted 2/14/2013 7:16:58 AM
GGearX posted...
It's mostly because these days graphics are so high up that it doesn't matter anymore. The old war destroyed the different consoles from the past. Hopefully this new war will eliminate one of the big 3

Cuz we want less variety and competition?
#5GGearXPosted 2/14/2013 7:24:13 AM
Obtik posted...
GGearX posted...

Cuz we want less variety and competition?

Uhhh... Yeah because the only consoles that are out or coming out this gen are the PS4, 720, and the WiiU right? (sarcasm)
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#6DarkPhoenix424Posted 2/14/2013 7:54:56 AM
TC, I feel the same. It's one of the biggest reasons I still collect and play retro games. I loved getting a game on different systems back in the day and seeing how each version was often so different from its counterpart. Oftentimes different developers did the various ports, or they had to make significant changes to cater a specific console's capabilities.

Today, games are nearly identical across platforms. Even "exclusives" like DLC are usually only timed-exclusives. It's not terrible, but I do miss the time when competing consoles and the PC all had their own unique feel and flavor. It made gaming more fun.
---
The Wing Commander series is my favorite of all time...
360/PSN: ParadiseRegaind
#7SpaceMarineZackPosted 2/14/2013 7:58:35 AM
MGS4, UNcharted, Heavy Rain, Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles. The PS3 exclusives do have their own feel.

Sadly you wont know by buying 360 exclusives which most are shooters.
#8HeliosAscensionPosted 2/14/2013 1:16:53 PM
SpaceMarineZack posted...
MGS4, UNcharted, Heavy Rain, Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles. The PS3 exclusives do have their own feel.

Sadly you wont know by buying 360 exclusives which most are shooters.

I love me some Xbox, but add God of War and Ratchet and Clank to that list and I pretty much agree. I will say Fable and PGR feel pretty special to me at least.
---
I don't need games to be mature.I need them to entertain me.And sometimes what entertains me is a couple chicks with huge bouncing chests pummeling each other.
#9JenniferTatePosted 2/14/2013 3:04:37 PM
Gears of War, Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted. Even Halo has a feel to it, in my mind.

It's not just a graphical feel, there's something in the controls that conveys it.
---
Now you know I ain't wit that ****, Lieutenant