This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Epic: a female Gears of War star would be "tough to justify"

#1TravarkothPosted 2/14/2013 12:00:21 PM
Gears of War packs more machismo into its little finger than the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger pack into their ridiculously inflated torsos, but according to Epic's art director Chris Perna, the franchise is a hit nonetheless with female players, who regard its female characters as "empowering".

"In Gears you kind of need dirt," Perna explained to OXM in a Gears of War: Judgment interview - read all about it in our next issue, which hits shelves this Friday, 15th February. "If you want to create this attractive, stereotypical, sexy female - a lot of games do that and it's kind of cliché at this point.

"You see the implants and the blonde hair and pants and you roll your eyes - it's almost like the game geek's idealisation of what a woman should be. I think because we didn't go that route we have more believability... we've got more butch characters.

"They're still feminine," he went on. "Anya in Gears 3 comes across as being very feminine, and I think it works."

Perna discussed positive reactions to these portrayals from female fans at Gears of War cosplay events. "They feel empowered," he said. "They put on that armour and they walk around with these massive weapons and I think they get a kick out of it - I get a kick out of seeing it.

"From what we've heard, when they play the game they feel empowered and they feel good. Some of the feedback I've heard from women that I talk to is that if we'd made these women more feminine and more stereotypical it wouldn't have been so nice."

is it possible a future Gears game could feature a lady in the starring role?

Alas, it seems the market might have issues with this. "That's certainly interesting but I don't know," Perna mused. "If you look at what sells, it's tough to justify something like that."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/50193/epic-a-female-gears-of-war-star-would-be-tough-to-justify/

Would be awesome if they did, and like he said - it would be interesting.
---
"Please stop being human. "
--- 343 Guilty Spark ---
#2HaloODSTDPosted 2/14/2013 12:03:57 PM
WNBA 2k14
---
GT: Jessica Jung xo
PSN: Rutgers Student
#3SteelToothPosted 2/14/2013 12:05:04 PM
Just use Michelle Rodriguez to voice the character and it'll all make sense. >_>
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
#4Travarkoth(Topic Creator)Posted 2/14/2013 12:06:53 PM
Just use Michelle Rodriguez to voice the character and it'll all make sense. >_>

Speaking of Michelle Rodriguez, who's ready for some Fast & Furious 6?
---
"Please stop being human. "
--- 343 Guilty Spark ---
#5darkharePosted 2/14/2013 12:42:40 PM
Travarkoth posted...
"You see the implants and the blonde hair and pants and you roll your eyes - it's almost like the game geek's idealisation of what a woman should be. I think because we didn't go that route we have more believability... we've got more butch characters.

im curious why they feel that a women protagonist would need to fit that stereotype? their are alot of different types of wemen but they would choose that one instead of some other..
---
whats wrong with ppl when you ask someone to imagine something and they then ask you to describe it to them so they can imagine it?
#6Dragon NexusPosted 2/14/2013 2:27:48 PM
Dude needs to read the damn books.
Helena Stroud was plenty awesome without any narrative explaining she had amazing curves, nice boobs and an ass you could bounce a coin off.

Making an effective female character should be no more difficult than drawing a female and giving her a likable personality. We don't seem to have as much trouble with males.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#7GGearXPosted 2/14/2013 2:35:01 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
Dude needs to read the damn books.
Helena Stroud was plenty awesome without any narrative explaining she had amazing curves, nice boobs and an ass you could bounce a coin off.

Making an effective female character should be no more difficult than drawing a female and giving her a likable personality. We don't seem to have as much trouble with males.

When you read the books its completely different than watching them on TV. Boobs are distracting. They won't work in a game. Look at Samus from Metroid prime. She was the most badass female I've ever seen in a video game. Then Super smash Bros brawl ( other M as well) came out and they sexed her up. Now I don't think of her as the best anymore.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#8JenniferTatePosted 2/14/2013 2:40:20 PM(edited)
Sam pulled it off in 3.

Alex pulls it off in the comics.

I understand his "tough to justify" stance looking at it from a sales perspective. There's a lot of flak whenever you have female leads, as there is a group that says they can't carry action, they don't work as "proactive protagonists", anything you do with them suddenly becomes skewed to some absurd gender agenda by some feminists themselves, etc. I think those reasons and the others I've heard all are bullf'n ****, but that's me.

I use them in everything I write because I grew up with Kitty Pryde and Buffy Summers and prefer female leads, but I've had editors and producers tell me some of my stories don't "justify" the female lead purely from the viewpoint of selling it to a large audience.
---
Now you know I ain't wit that ****, Lieutenant
#9SonyHoundDawgPosted 2/14/2013 2:41:29 PM(edited)
So what games really have stereotypical female leads these days?

The biggest female lead games nowadays hardly do not.

Look at Mass Effect, Dragon Age, you get to basically make your character and none are super slutty implant blond girls (well maybe with PC mods you can do that). RE5. The only games I can really think of where you can make like a total slut character is like Saints Row 2 and 3, and maybe you can throw Lolipop chainsaw in there but thats kinda the whole point of the game.

The new Tomb raider went for a more "normal protaganist".

I think a Gears game could totally work with a female lead. Anya and Sam look great. There tough, and still nice to look at.

If anything, most games really star just the stereotypical tough guy. Then gamers flip out when they get changedl ike Dante lol

To be honest the only games that really have mega slutty characters are fighting games.
#10JKSonicPosted 2/14/2013 2:42:21 PM
Many people play games to be immersed in the world. In gaming females are a huge minority and so making a female "main character" is going to be something that doesn't happen often. Sure there's cases were it works, but in those cases most of the time it's because she's a sex symbol. It's pretty rare that a female lead isn't (not saying it doesn't happen just that more often than not it's a sexy thing) and while sure those games have sometimes been great (BG&E as a good example) don't really think I want a female lead in a game like GoW.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."