This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

M$- "Everybody Knows" PS3 "Isn't as Good of an Entertainment Console" as Xbox360

#51dj___rollPosted 2/16/2013 2:59:56 AM
Quote:What did he mean by entertainment?
PS3 is compatible with more media types I thought.
Entertainment is a pretty ambiguous term in this context. Also, using an absolute statement automatically makes in untrue, since some would think PS3 is better simply by allowing BD playback.

Seems like just typical PR speak

@TheBonfini
Careful, you're about to be accused if being a Sony fanboy.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10
#52NinjuggalotusPosted 2/16/2013 3:47:50 AM
Dragon Nexus posted...
SparkItUp posted...
Cobra9860 posted...
I hate the shift they have made in the past several years away from games.

^ this...I wouldn't go so far as calling them dumb for it, but more so misguided.

It's smart, actually. We're well past the normal end of the console's life cycle this time around - normally a console is the primary product for about 5 years, this time it has been 8 years. To keep selling consoles you have to expand your normal customer base - you've already exhausted the core "gamer" base by year 5. The "shift away" from games was a way to market the 360 to people whose focus isn't games in an attempt to keep the console's sales going.

When the next consoles are announced, you'll see a HUGE focus on games as gamers will be the early adopters. Later on, you'll see the focus shift back to multi-media once the core audience has been tapped.

It's Marketing 101. I have no clue how anyone could call it "misguided".

Main reason it's misguided?
Smart TVs.

I've bought 2 TVs in the past year and a half, neither of which have been "smart TVs". More people are likely to buy a game console (even for apps) than a TV with smart TV features.

Glad I don't live in the stone ages
---
"Come at the king, you best not miss."
#FreeSosa
#53bossk5Posted 2/16/2013 4:06:23 AM
dj___roll posted...
Quote:Of course this is true. Why else would literally every single person, pro-Sony or pro-MS, who hates the media box idea for 720 (or been whining about 360's media focus in recent years) claim they are buying/interested more in PS4? Cause PS isn't the brand people think of for media boxes. And the app usage speaks for itself, all apps do better on 360. Complete truth, anyone claiming otherwise is trying to spin.
@scoobydoobydont
Netflix is certainly more used on the PS3. I think Hulu is as well. Netflix itself makes you wrong.

How do you know? ;)
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#54dolablaPosted 2/16/2013 4:13:47 AM
They can claim what they want. All I care about are the games.

So where's the new exclusive games at, Microsoft? And I'm not talking about a new Halo, Gears, Fable, I'm talking about some new IP's. Something new and fresh, which they obviously don't have.
#55bossk5Posted 2/16/2013 4:16:42 AM
dolabla posted...

So where's the new exclusive games at, Microsoft? And I'm not talking about a new Halo, Gears, Fable, I'm talking about some new IP's. Something new and fresh, which they obviously don't have.

Live Arcade doesn't exist.

I also love the old " where are the exclusives?" question followed up by a list of exclusive that you personally don't count.

But hey, I'm sure I'll be called a fanboy for saying that. ;)
---
Welcome to Gamefaqs, where trolls run rampant. I buy used games.Pacers 3- whatever...I give up
#56dolablaPosted 2/16/2013 4:29:22 AM
bossk5 posted...
dolabla posted...

I also love the old " where are the exclusives?" question followed up by a list of exclusive that you personally don't count.

It's the truth. They've released, what, like 4-5 Halos on 360 alone? I dunno, I've lost count. 3 Gears of War games with a 4th one on the way and 3 Fables. I just want something new and fresh, that's all.
#57SunDevil77Posted 2/16/2013 6:59:58 AM
dolabla posted...
bossk5 posted...
dolabla posted...

It's the truth. They've released, what, like 4-5 Halos on 360 alone? I dunno, I've lost count. 3 Gears of War games with a 4th one on the way and 3 Fables. I just want something new and fresh, that's all.

Xbox Live Arcade is the most "fresh" gaming that I have done in...quite a while.

Also, it's a good thing Microsoft keeps pumping out Halo, Gears, and Fable games, 'cause each one has been stellar. And I love em.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#58Dragon NexusPosted 2/16/2013 8:17:54 AM
I've bought 2 TVs in the past year and a half, neither of which have been "smart TVs". More people are likely to buy a game console (even for apps) than a TV with smart TV features.

That's quite an accomplishment, I helped mum buy a TV last year and you had to really look for a TV that didn't have 3D, assuming they even sold any. The same will be said for smart TVs by the time next gen rolls around.

Today's new technology is tomorrows standard. Going into next gen if consoles are trying to do the smartphone and smart TV thing they'll be an exercise in redundancy.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#59scoobydoobydontPosted 2/16/2013 11:28:37 AM
Cobra9860 posted...
Tvs can and will do all of these things.

Vastly worse and minus gaming, sure. I guess reading comprehension isn't your strength since I directly addressed this. Too busy running to cry to the mods I guess.

MS are painting themselves into a corner and alienating people who care about games. It will bite them in the ass.

No, they are alienating manchildren who can't tolerate a box that does more (despite literally every console post Gamecube doing so).

You buy the console for games, if it has the extra features, eh cool might as well use them. But next gen no one is going to be running out to buy a ~$400 720 because it can play Netflix and Amazon instant.

Don't tell me (or MS who has hard data to back it up) what people buy consoles for. I never would have bought 360 if it had no Kinect and media functionality. And minus those two things, it would have been a dead console years ago. But I guess that explains all the salt and spin in your posts, you're just the type of "gamer" I was dismissing. How does it feel being part of a tiny, unprofitable niche defined by its online tantrums and entitlement issues that has game companies bailing on you as fast as they can to iOS and tablets?

jorgestevenson posted...
People generally don't want a videogame console hooked up to their living room TV. If they can get a box that runs netflix, amazon, hulu, etc. without the games for cheaper than a videogame console, then all the better. Videogame consoles are for your teenage son's room or the game room in the basement.

You're acting like families actually want to watch one person play a AAA game at dinner instead of watching a movie or TV show together.

ronaldmcdonaldwtfamIreading.jpg

You have no idea what you're talking about, console sare the main box in many families living rooms, even before Kinect and Wii but more so now than ever.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#60scoobydoobydontPosted 2/16/2013 11:30:29 AM
dj___roll posted...

@scoobydoobydont
Netflix is certainly more used on the PS3. I think Hulu is as well. Netflix itself makes you wrong.

It definitely is not.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.