This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Xbox Live should be free at this point.

#31mrshowtime333Posted 2/15/2013 8:09:40 AM
If you want to see what kind of quality you get for free, go play PS3.

Not to mention a year of live should cost you no more than $40 if you are doing it right. Stop being poor.
#32godplaysSNESPosted 2/15/2013 8:24:20 AM(edited)
mrshowtime333 posted...

Not to mention a year of live should cost you no more than $40 if you are doing it right. Stop being poor.

Or simply go to the PC, where almost all games that aren't MMOs are free to play online. Superior to Live in every way

How long have you paid 40 USD for Live? If you've done it since the 360's release 2005, you're up at 280 USD now. 280 USD for something that has cost PC and PS3 users zero dollars during the same time.

It's not about being poor, it's about not wanting to pay for something the other devices get for free.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#33DakhanavarXPosted 2/15/2013 8:49:44 AM
Young Playa posted...
With Next-Gen consoles coming out real soon, Microsoft should really change their online fees. Sony seems like they will come in with the heavy guns and while Xbox 360 was a better console than PS3, a good portion of 360 users switched to PS3 for obvious reasons. Hopefully the next Xbox changes the way online is played? What does everyone else think?

I think I'd love to be the fly on the wall during that meeting when some guy tries to explain to all of them, from a business standpoint, how free Xbox Live would actually be profitable in the long run. If being free meant that much, the PS3 should have way more people playing online than 360. The truth is, they don't. Hell, a lot of the time they seem to have a smaller population on multi-platform games.

It's real easy for us to sit around and say, "I'd rather pay nothing than $30-60 a year for live". But you know what, it only means the difference between $30-60 dollars a year for an individual. So let's say there are "only" 10 million people with a gold membership (Last number I saw was 12 million sometime last year, I believe). Now lets just say they all spent $50 a year for gold. Some pay less, some pay more. So in a year, that's about $500,000,000 dollars. Good luck explaining to your boss that you'll make that up in additional console sales or whatever.

You also gotta remember that regardless of how this gen ends in terms of consoles sold, the 360 did much better than the original Xbox, and the PS3 did quite a bit worse than the PS2. Sure, it's due to a number of factors, but I don't think there's enough for Microsoft to say, "Hmm...looks like we need to give up half a billion dollars a year." (Mind you, it's also probably a few million more gold members than I used as an example)

I'm not saying I wouldn't prefer it was free, but I am saying I can see why they don't just spontaneously decide to give up a whole lot of revenue when it would be difficult to quantify tangible benefits. They're a business, and they have to make business decisions.
---
Member of the 8-Bit Playas: http://www.youtube.com/user/8BitPlayas
See my game collection: http://darkadia.com/member/Dakhanavar/library
#34WinternovaPosted 2/15/2013 9:13:30 AM(edited)
chrono625 posted...
Does it ever occur to people that maybe JUST MAYBE other people value what they get?

Did it ever occur to you that millions of other people value Xbox LIVE at how much it costs?
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#35therickmu25Posted 2/15/2013 9:20:14 AM
I 'wish' it was free because I barely use my Xbox anymore and have moved on to PC until we get some new hardware, but I know it makes no sense for MS to do it from a business persepective when they have so many people willing to pay for it.
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg
#36Darkest_EvilPosted 2/15/2013 9:22:49 AM
its not free due to the following
Use of kinect for video chat etc on their servers
use of voice chat and part chat on their servers
use of internet explorer and other aps and things on thier servers

Basically your gold is you paying for the priveledge to play on their servers and use the wonderful communication that they offer

Video, voice chat, party chat messaging etc..

Its not free just like the internet so if you think it sucks you should complain about having to pay for an isp
---
http://castleminerz.freeforums.org/index.php
#37otisanimePosted 2/15/2013 9:27:49 AM(edited)
Darkest_Evil posted...
its not free due to the following
Use of kinect for video chat etc on their servers
use of voice chat and part chat on their servers
use of internet explorer and other aps and things on thier servers

Basically your gold is you paying for the priveledge to play on their servers and use the wonderful communication that they offer

Video, voice chat, party chat messaging etc..

Its not free just like the internet so if you think it sucks you should complain about having to pay for an isp

Actually, most of those things aren't done "on their servers", but via peer-to-peer... and it's not the same thing at all as having to pay for the internet. It makes zero sense, and I'm tired of hearing this argument. It's like saying paying for cable is the same as paying for buckets of candy, or something.

Moreover, that whole thing falls into that "naive console gamer being defensive" tripe I mentioned.
---
PSN: OtimusPSN // XBOX Live: Otimus // Steam: mightypotatojones
Now playing: Tribes Ascend (PC)
#38WinternovaPosted 2/15/2013 9:34:12 AM
otisanime posted...
Actually, most of those things aren't done "on their servers", but via peer-to-peer

If that's the case, then just play peer-to-peer online without using the Xbox LIVE service if their servers aren't involved.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#39nothingbeastPosted 2/15/2013 9:36:08 AM
So is there a limit to how many people you can put on your ignore lists?

I think i've officially had enough of the daily "Gold should be free" topics that do nothing but turn into elitist arguments over who's stupid for doing what.
---
~I was stomping goombas and saving princesses long before most of you were born.
#40mrshowtime333Posted 2/15/2013 9:37:33 AM
godplaysSNES posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...

Or simply go to the PC, where almost all games that aren't MMOs are free to play online. Superior to Live in every way

How long have you paid 40 USD for Live? If you've done it since the 360's release 2005, you're up at 280 USD now. 280 USD for something that has cost PC and PS3 users zero dollars during the same time.

It's not about being poor, it's about not wanting to pay for something the other devices get for free.

Yea but then you would be playing on PC which is just a mess to begin with. And by your logic, if it cost me 280 for Live and 300 for the Xbox that is $580. Hmmmm, what kind of gaming do you think I will be doing on a $580 PC? Id say youd have to pay near double that amount to have a good gaming experience on PC.