This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Man, I miss when games were just straight creepy.

#1SomnambulisticPosted 2/15/2013 1:47:51 AM
Replaying through Prey over the past week and holy hell, the design of the levels, atmosphere, enemies, weapons, and overall setting are just outlandish and creepy and alien. It creeps me out just playing through some of the game despite that there aren't really any legitimate scary moments. The sad part is, out of all the sci-fi in current gen, this launch FPS has one of the most unique and original tones to it.

Anybody else wish more games would sort of step outside of the box and their comfort zones of standard settings and atmospheres and try more stuff like Prey did?
---
Would you like to know more?
#2mastahjebusPosted 2/15/2013 1:51:49 AM
Amnesia.

Also, I found that STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl was more than creepy. It was never absolutely terrifying, but dat atmosphere...
---
"Your" = Possession | "You're" = You Are | "Their" = Possession | "They're" = They Are | "There" = Position
#3dolablaPosted 2/15/2013 1:57:46 AM
Resident Evil and Silent Hill. I'll never forget the first time I played Resident Evil back in the 90's. My older brothers got me hooked on the series. Unfortunately, the series is crap now.
#4JukainPosted 2/15/2013 2:20:01 AM
Catherine has some pretty creepy moments.
---
"In peace, vigilance. In war, victory. In death, sacrifice." ~ The Grey Wardens
http://www.trueachievements.com/mygames.aspx?gamerid=71900
#5SolisPosted 2/15/2013 3:06:11 AM
There's still a good amount of games with pretty creepy aspects. Amnesia, STALKER, Metro 2033, Cryostasis, and Penumbra (which is essentially the predecessor for Amnesia). There's also a few upcoming ones, notably Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs and Routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9XrsWUO9sw

Also, Prey wasn't a launch title for the Xbox 360, it came out 8 months after.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#6SunDevil77Posted 2/15/2013 5:20:14 AM
Yeah, what about Metro 2033, TC?
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#7roots1078Posted 2/15/2013 5:29:28 AM
Dead Space 1 had its share of creepy moments. Twinkle twinkle little star?
---
GT: Polycistronic
#8TheWaitingPosted 2/15/2013 5:49:03 AM
The sewer level in aliens cm is creepy as hell.
---
GAMERTAG:SollessWarrior
#9TheBeastWithinPosted 2/15/2013 5:55:13 AM
If you liked Prey for those reasons, you might want to try clive Barker's Jericho, TC. Now, there was a reason that game had terrible reviews, but if you like games with an old-school vibe and creepy atmosphere that one will do it for you.

It was such a pleasant surprise for me. The gameplay is dated but very fun. For some incredibly strange reason, they even included a hint line that costs money per minute to get help in the game. I remember when almost every game had one of those, not that I'd ever call it. You can probably get Jericho for a couple bucks these days, and its well worth it.
---
Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
#10DyingPancakePosted 2/15/2013 5:57:32 AM
Hmmm, I feel there are a lot of creepy games this gen, but I see what you're talking about.

A game thats not scary, but has this feeling of dread lingering over it?

One game like that for me is the original Blood. Wasn't really a scary game at all, but the level design could not be beaten in terms of creepiness.

For this gen F.E.A.R and Condemned kind of felt like that to me (though Condemned was legitimately scary, but had the bonus of disturbing level design)
---
Under a cold October sky, I wait
Number of deer shot this year: 2