This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else get the feeling that even if the next xbox doesn't ban used titles..

#1656stoogePosted 2/16/2013 6:38:55 AM
that used games will eventually be rendered impossible by other means as next gen moves on.

We've already seen online passes move from sports only titles to any multiplayer title, and then they moved into single player only games, I just get the feeling that someone (EA) will eventually bring out a type of one use code system for their games.

They'll again probably try it out on a title guaranteed to sell, like FIFA, and once people calm down they'll slowly introduce it to their other games. Once companies see that take off they'll follow suit, and in the end we'll be left with very games that don't require one.

Call me a pessimist, but I see a big push towards DD only halfway through next gen, and I'll they'll start by limiting us to one use games.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#2JKSonicPosted 2/16/2013 7:01:18 AM
that used games will eventually be rendered impossible by other means as next gen moves on.

Kind of the same thing though isn't it? Just an alternate means. I've been saying since the rumors started I don't think there will be a literal outright ban, but that they'll go about it other ways. Even what's been rumored points to this, people just don't want to see it and always assume the worst.

What I think will happen is that games will require an install as well as a code. Without that code you only get a trial mode, be it an hour or just more of a demo that only lets you go so far. They'll sell these codes at a discount from the full priced game. That way used discs can still be sold and bought but you'll still need to spend additional money to play. Basically like how EA does it now with Madden and stuff only the codes will cost much more money and won't just control mulitplayer.

This will still effectively hurt companies like GS while still allowing friends to trade and stuff like that.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#3TheBlueStigPosted 2/16/2013 10:35:07 AM
No matter which method gets used to block used games, who's gonna sell the hardware when the retailers refuse to keep a Loss Leader going?

None of the big 3 have the infrastructure to sell their own hardware in large enough numbers to keep it selling enough to keep the games selling.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin