This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

When making moral decisions in games how close to your personality are they?

#1memphis12Posted 2/17/2013 12:46:02 AM
Topic - Results (87 votes)
I'm good in real life, and good in games
35.63% (31 votes)
I'm evil in real life, and evil in games
4.6% (4 votes)
I'm good in real life, but evil in games
5.75% (5 votes)
I'm evil in real life, butgood in games
1.15% (1 votes)
I just go with the flow
18.39% (16 votes)
A bit of both
13.79% (12 votes)
It depends on my mood
20.69% (18 votes)
I don't play games with moral choices
0% (0 votes)
This poll is now closed.
When you play a game that has "moral choices" what do you do?

I personally feel I'm a good guy in real life, always defend the little guy and do the same when I'm playing games. I just completed Far Cry 3 and I chose to save my friends, where as my son chose to kill them. He always chooses the "evil" route when a game gives him a choice. I know some "evil" choices are a matter of opinion, but you know what I mean.

I was wondering how close to your own personality you play when gaming.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#2vigorm0rtisPosted 2/17/2013 12:57:30 AM
I tend to make 'good' decisions in games, but have a hard time gauging my RL actions as good or evil.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#3memphis12(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 1:01:00 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
I tend to make 'good' decisions in games, but have a hard time gauging my RL actions as good or evil.

I think the word "evil" is maybe a bit extreme, but I'm a little hungover and is all I could really think of. Lol. Don't get me wrong, I can be a jack ass in rl, but the majority of my personality and decisions are morally good (I hope)
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#4vigorm0rtisPosted 2/17/2013 1:03:21 AM
I think I revolve around the 'order v. chaos' more accurately. I'm pretty lawful these days.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#5DarkSymbiotePosted 2/17/2013 1:20:20 AM(edited)
I do good playthroughs first and then evil. I try my best to be good in reality but have a tough time doing so these days.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#6Cobra9860Posted 2/17/2013 1:34:11 AM(edited)
Depends on the game. In Far Cry 3 I went with the evil ending just because it seemed more exciting, and it definitely was.

But in games with real choice/ consequence stuff like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol, I go with what I would choose if I were in the situation myself.

I usually ends up as about 70% "evil", but I consider myself a good person, I just try to be pragmatic.
---
wat
#7rofflchopperPosted 2/17/2013 2:24:23 AM
I'm good in real life and usually good in games..... Unless I really need or want something. lol
---
Dear Society, Please stop calling Justin Bieber gay. We don't want him either.
Sincerely, Homosexuals.
#8DoukouPosted 2/17/2013 2:33:40 AM
I'd probably be more neutral in life than I would be in game.
So neutral/good
---
Don't read this sig.
#9_LordAndSaviorPosted 2/17/2013 2:41:44 AM
I play every game with choices such as these imaging if I myself and my true self was stuck in this world and had to actually make these choices.

And due to this I can't simply say "Good" or "Evil" since human personality is much too dynamic to fit into a category as such.
---
Will not change this sig, until Carlito is a World Champion! 7/10/11 (Unofficial Date: 6/11/05)
R.I.P Shauwk, Gone but Never Forgotten. You will be missed.
#10JenniferTatePosted 2/17/2013 9:05:35 AM
I tend to role play how I see the character. I can't be an outlaw with John Marston in any play through, but have no problem going on killing sprees as Jack, thanks to the narrative. In GTA4 I feel Nico is willing to do what it takes to get out of the messes he finds himself in, but won't kill innocents (unless it's accidental collateral, but he makes an effort not to. In that game's moral choices, I tended to help people or let them off, except for Vlad, who deserved the execution. I think Luis and Johnny have that same resigned attitude towards dirtying their hands - they will, but it's only because you forced their hand.

In Mass Effect I trended Paragon, but in ME2 found myself on the Renegade path. I don't believe my actions were truly Renegade when you look at the situation of Shepard and crew in ME2 - at this point you know what's going on and you're trying to get **** done and have little tolerance for people who test you.

When I played Old Republic as an Imperial Agent, I walked the line of "greater good" and "patriotism" to the Empire's cause while not choosing to be strictly ruthless. Dark Side choices tended to be fairly dramatic and overreactionary and worthy of the term "evil", so I found some of them absurd when I did try it on my Bounty Hunter and Sniper.

In Infamous 2, I had the same attitude as I did in Mass Effect 2 - It's not that I'm making bad moral choices, but it's a bigger picture attitude, and these people/monsters are hunting me and innocents anyway. I just need to handle business and deal with the fallout later.

In actual roleplay, be it forum or tabletop, I find I can never be truly malicious and constantly on the "evil" side of the classic D&D scale, unless I'm the storyteller with a cast. If it's my own character, I can justify most of my questionable choices, because I rarely go so far as to be murderous and despicable. I don't like the naively optimistic Boy Scout attitude, either, and I don't understand how people can maintain that outlook, myself, in the real world.

To that end, it is probably no surprise I don't find Superman that engaging, but enjoy Daredevil, most of the X-Men and X-Force, and Supergirl, who isn't as Black and White as her cousin when written well.
---
We rip cell doors off, we don't ask for bail