This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

FPS partner AI, you prefer...

#1Dragon NexusPosted 2/17/2013 9:19:03 AM
What kind of allies partner AI do you prefer in an FPS campaign? - Results (47 votes)
Background noise gunfire to add to the drama but completely ineffectual, aka Call of Duty.
10.64% (5 votes)
Actual contributing characters who kill the eemies but can end up killing everything before you can, aka Battlefield 3.
89.36% (42 votes)
This poll is now closed.
It got me thinking when I was playing Crysis 2 last night that friendly AI in an FPs is a tricky thing.

Many times when I played Veteran on Call of Duty I'd be frustrated with my team mates just hiding behind a wall and shooting at the never ending targets instead of moving forward and helping, their gunfire completely ineffectual because they're just there to add background noise and make the scene seem more dramatic...but really you're doing *all* of the work. Halo does this as well, throwing marines out to just get slaughtered and at best serve as a distraction.

But there's the other side of the coin where I played Battlefield 3 on the hardest difficulty and in one section I hung back to shoot a few enemies from a distance and then suddenly realised my AI team mates had stormed the possition and run all the way up to the next waypoint and were waiting for my slow moving ass to hurry up. It's what made hard mode so easy, my team mates did most of the work for me.

So it made me wonder if there were many games that struck a nice balance between the two. And actually, which do people prefer? I can see arguments for both sides, it's nice to have team mates that DO stuff and actually manage to kill things with you, but on the other hand it sucks to reach the battlefield and kill maybe one or two people because our team mates got there first.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#2TravarkothPosted 2/17/2013 9:24:15 AM
Haha, I love this topic already, Dragon.

I just replayed MW3, and beat it on Veteran (finally started and finished it a few days ago), and know exactly what you mean. They actually wait until you progress before you do anything. If you head to the side, and sprint across the battlefield, and hide further ahed - your partners will go Rambo and start popping headshots, and gunning down enemies like it's nothing.

I prefer it when your allies actually do something. I understand devs want *you* to do most of the work since you are the one playing it, but it's not fair that the enemy focuses entirely on you, and your partners don't do anything to help you out. Sometimes a bad guy will charge across the battlefield just to take *you* (and only you) out.

I've yet to play any of the Battlefield games (I've tried them, but never *really* played them). They were fun, but I never got around to buying one and actually playing it, and beating it. How's the Campaign in Bad Company 1 or 2, or Battlefield 3, if you don't mind answering?
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#3JDGfootmanPosted 2/17/2013 9:35:17 AM
You know what game had really awesome squad AI? Star Wars Republic Commando. They were very useful, followed orders very well, but didnt do all the work either. That game deserves a sequel goddamn it! Not to mention it ended on a cliff hanger.
#4TravarkothPosted 2/17/2013 9:38:00 AM
You know what game had really awesome squad AI? Star Wars Republic Commando. They were very useful, followed orders very well, but didnt do all the work either. That game deserves a sequel goddamn it! Not to mention it ended on a cliff hanger.

Yeah, what happened to Sev? It set itself up for a sequel, yet we never saw one.
---
What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?
--Bastila Shan
#5Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 9:57:18 AM
How's the Campaign in Bad Company 1 or 2, or Battlefield 3, if you don't mind answering?

Bad Company 1's campaign was brilliant.
True it feels kinda like an advanced tutorial for the multiplayer (and personally, I think multiplayer orientated FPS games should function like this because you're buying it for the multiplayer after all, you need somewhere to practise so you don't screw things up for your team mates), but it has some emotional weight to it, the characters are very likable and the story feels quite unique for the genre. In a way it feels like something of a good natured parody of FPS games with the protagonists mostly being self interested, greedy asses after gold rather than trying to follow orders. The game was just fun, and the open nature of the maps pushed you to take things at your own pace and do things how you wanted to an extent.

BC2 was disappointing to me in that respect, the playful banter between the characters was relegated to moments between battles rather than during them or over the radio. The large sprawling battle zones you navigated with vehicles were pretty much gone, instead following a linear coridor much like Call of Duty, just going from battle to battle. The story was dull as well, the first game ended on a high note and sort of a cliffhanger, the second game feels like one of those frustrating sequels where only the main character returns and everything else is different (think The Transporter or Ace Ventura). It's still good, don't get me wrong, it's just not what I bought Bad Company 1 for. If I wanted a "USA is being invaded and there's a super weapon we must stop!" story, I'd buy Modern Warfare or something, not Bad Company. It's like if Saints Row 3 came out and played everything completely straight like GTA4. It's not what you buy SR for, right?

BF3...well it's the same kinda thing. It has some great set pieces, but it's really nothing special overall. I had fun, sure, but it really should have served as an extended multiplayer tutorial, and an opportunity was lost on the jet section where the player could have learned how to fly a jet and out maneuver an AI before heading into multi, getting into a jet and applying what they've learned. Instead you're meant to pick it all up on-the-fly, which isn't conducive to team work.

So overall, BC1 had the best campaign and actually a nice light hearted tone to th multiplayer as well since you were trying to bust open crates full of gold or defend them, rather than attacking some communications equipment (yawn). You'd lose and hear something like "Aw great, there's goes my retirement plan. I'm gonna be stuck in the army forever!!" and it's a level of fun you don't see much in these po-faced super serial FPs games now.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#6TravarkothPosted 2/17/2013 10:55:14 AM
Ah, alright - sounds good, I might order Bad Company 1 in a bit then and see how it goes.

Thanks, man.
---
--Bastila Shan
#7Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 11:04:20 AM
Ah, alright - sounds good, I might order Bad Company 1 in a bit then and see how it goes.

Thanks, man.

For single player, I find BC1 is the best.
For multiplayer nothing really beats BF3. Though it does kinda suck about the expensive map packs and such. If that bothers you, Bad Company 2 has an excellent multiplayer as well, some actually prefer it. I miss the light hearted nature of NC1's multiplayer, but for sheer gameplay BC2 edges it out.

As for my poll, I think we can safekly assume that all gamers are lazy and just want the AI to do all the work for them. Muahaha.
---
#8Killah PriestPosted 2/17/2013 11:05:34 AM
The AI in my call of duty games kill people just fine

stealth trolling call of duty topic?
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#9TravarkothPosted 2/17/2013 11:06:55 AM
Ah, alright. And regarding the AI, I just wish partners would act like partners.

Also, and apparent on MW3 on Veteran, the enemy targets only you. Not your partners, you.

Frustrating, to say the least, haha!
---
--Bastila Shan
#10Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2013 11:18:43 AM
The AI in my call of duty games kill people just fine

stealth trolling call of duty topic?

Not at all, just going by my own experiences. I'm a good two or three years past the "I hate CoD and you guys are all losers!" phase and have grown into a more comfortable "Acually I think I'm just bored of CoD while everyone else hasn't hit that point yet...fair play to them" phase.

Honestly, I really enjoyed CoD2, 4 and MW2 and etc but I just kinda got bored after MW2. So if you still enjoy it, good for you I hope it continues to entertain you for years to come. As for me, I just got tired of it. So yeah, since MW2 was the last game I really played maybe the AI got better. I 'unno.

Also, and apparent on MW3 on Veteran, the enemy targets only you. Not your partners, you.

Frustrating, to say the least, haha!

Yup, I hate that aspect too. Halo at least changes that up in the levels where you have marines with you, getting the enemy to chase them down and reacting to you if they see you.
---