This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

"Broadening" a franchise's audience - there have been a lot of failures lately

#21memphis12Posted 2/18/2013 12:48:15 AM(edited)
656stooge posted...
memphis12 posted...
darkhare posted...
i dont agree with, or like the trend that one game should try to have something for everyone. all this does is make the game play like evey other game, which is exactly what were seeing in the vast majority of tripleA titles.

This. What's the point in establishing a solid fan base for a franchise to then completely change some of the core elements of what made the game a success in the first place. I hope this trend doesn't continue onto next gen.

Damn. Darkhare made a point I agree with?

...time to take of the old ignore list?

I was thinking the same, not often I agree with him, but he makes a solid point this time.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#22JackBurton85Posted 2/18/2013 1:28:13 AM
I hate it.

I'd use the example of the Ace Combat series. Boy did they dumb that down with Assault Horizon. I loved the near total freedom the previous entries gave you. There were objectives you had to do, but when it came to how you wanted to deal with an enemy, it was entirely up to you. There were no on rail crap, no God of War style press a button when you see the cue mumbo jumbo, no dogfight mode.

Don't mess with something if it's not broken. Any changes in a franchise from one title to the next should only serve to expand upon gameplay, not limit it.
#23HMXTaylor_LeePosted 2/18/2013 1:50:41 AM
A television show aimed at an audience of five year old girls taught me that.

"By trying to please everypony, you often end up pleasing nopony, especially yourself."
#24vigorm0rtisPosted 2/18/2013 1:55:23 AM
HMXTaylor_Lee posted...
A television show aimed at an audience of five year old girls taught me that.

"By trying to please everypony, you often end up pleasing nopony, especially yourself."

By referencing a show that, while directed at 5 year old girls, has actually found a far larger audience you may have undermined your point.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#25oasisbeyondPosted 2/18/2013 2:04:09 AM
It's always been like this. Dev's copy huge games, huge sucess stories. This has happened since the 80's. Last gen everyone tried to copy Halo
The gen before everyone tried to copy the 3d games that did it right... Mario64, Tomb Raider and Zelda OOT...
Nothing new here tc.
Everyone tried to copy Re4 after last gen. Now it's We need to copy Gears, GoW, Cod, Halo, or GTA... that's all we get now.
#26secondhand1Posted 2/18/2013 8:30:50 AM
nonexistinghero posted...
Part of the reason why sales of those games are so bad is because fans don't like to be stabbed in the back. Sacrificing your existing audience in favour of a potential new audience is the worst move you can make as a developer. And no, they can't keep fans happy by slapping in a few references to other games, the most important part is that the main games have to retain the same kind of feel when playing it.

You expand your audience by keeping the original audience satisfied first. then see what you can do to attract new players.

Nope.

If you did that, your incrementality would stagnate almost immediately and you'd be left with the same base for years. What happens when that base moves on and you've done nothing to get the new guy?

They already have you. Either you like where the series is going and you stick around, or you don't and you move on. When you do move on, the hope is someone will be there to take your place.
---
The inherent idiocy of youth often outweighs its many advantages.