This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does a game sell 1+ million in three months and be a failure in sales?

#1all_that_juicePosted 2/17/2013 2:37:52 PM
The game was the best selling game of August with over 247,000 units sold in the U.S. As of November 5, 2012, the game had only sold 1.5 million copies, with THQ stating that the game "did not perform to our expectations."

A third Darksiders game was originally planned by Vigil Games, however, the fate of its franchise is threatened due to financial complications. Its parent company, THQ, recently filed for bankruptcy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darksiders_II

Darksiders II sold 1.5 million copies in the first three months of release yet it's considered a massive failure of a game. Never mind any copies sold after it's first three months. Apparently those sales don't count. DSII is so much of a failure it's company is now going out of business. How could this happen? Didn't 1+ million sales used to mean you were a success not that long ago? Didn't sales used to be counted over like a 1-2 year period rather than the first three months of release? When did the rules change? When did game publishers start getting ****ed so royally?
---
isn't hearing technically a dimension? so this should be called the 4DS. - I_Always_Die
#2memphis12Posted 2/17/2013 2:39:58 PM
Because THQ needed 2million sales just to break even.
---
'I wrestled with an alligator,I tussled with a whale,only last week I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick. I'm so mean I make medicine sick.'
#3metroidman92Posted 2/17/2013 2:40:30 PM
For the same reason a game "sucks" if it gets anything less than an average of 9.5 in "professional" reviews.
---
If you even think about coming after your brother, this bullet will be waiting for you!
#4bluehat94Posted 2/17/2013 2:44:51 PM
Because THQ expected it to sell 4-5 million, and needed it to sell 2 million to make back the money it cost to develop, advertise, etc. So it's a failure.
---
"So my lunch today involved both a noodle packet and a sauce packet....so yeah, things are going pretty well for me."
#5CaseyJonezPosted 2/17/2013 2:45:46 PM
Yeah, I don't get it either. Your game goes platinum and you lose your job.
---
Signature pending mod approval.
#6MctiasPosted 2/17/2013 3:52:54 PM
The first thing that a company takes into account when determining if a product was a success or not, is how much money they spent on it versus how much money it earned them.

So let's say you spent 10 million dollars in the actual development of a game and 90 million dollars in ads to get people to actually know about it, but after everything was said and done total sales rounded at 50 million dollars, you would be down 50 million.

Maybe alot of people played your game, but you still weren't able to break even.
#7AshWilliams78Posted 2/17/2013 4:08:59 PM
Remember the good old days when a game would get Platinum Hits Status just selling 1 million copies. Now apparently a game has to sell at least 4-5 million.
---
ShopSmart,ShopS-Mart - Names Ash....Housewares
#8SoF-RamboPosted 2/17/2013 4:12:50 PM
Thank CoD for making 1Mil in 12 hours the new standard.
---
Gamertag : Z0mb13S0ldier PSN : GotYourGatorade
Current Most Played : PS All-Stars, Battlefield 3, and WWE 13.
#9TheRobPosted 2/17/2013 4:17:41 PM
Even if Darksiders was a huge success by THQ's terms they still be out of business, they were too far gone. Nothing could have saved them.

It sucks for fans of the series like myself though, because now no one will pick it up and continue it.
---
The People's Heel
IF YA SMEELLLALALAO..WHAT THE ROB IS COOKING !!!
'B-|
#10Rob_the_NinjaPosted 2/17/2013 4:25:55 PM
Budget.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ARxIB.gif