This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do gamers look down on piracy but support buying used games?

#211pothocketPosted 2/19/2013 6:49:46 AM
Why is this topic over 200 replies? The answer is obvious: piracy is one extreme, blocking used games and having a monopoly over prices is the other. The used game market is ESSENTIAL to our hobby to find the balance between those two extremes.

Because, you know, that's how an economy works.

Knowing is half the battle.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#212IChangedMyNamePosted 2/19/2013 7:04:33 AM
OooO... Fun topic, I didn't read jack but I can assume anything I needed to say was already addressed.
---
I play a lil bit of everything on a lil bit of everything.
Not changing this until we get a Viewtiful Joe 3 or HD collection of VJ 1&2 (started 8/14/12)
#213StealthlysPosted 2/19/2013 8:55:38 AM
ITT if my opinions don't match yours=stupid.

Also, used game sales do hurt devs, that was a potential second customer.
Just sayian it DOES hurt devs.
#214ILikesCheesePosted 2/19/2013 2:05:46 PM
TheBlueStig posted...
You're kidding right? It was the democrat controlled congress that passed HR 1955 in 2007, a bill that essentially destroys the First Amendment.

The democrats have voted to restrict freedom and individual rights wherever possible, and will keep doing it until they're stopped.

No no no no no. You are confused.

You're thinking of the "Patriot Act" that Bush 2 pushed through with his Republican controlled House and Senate (save for Sanders) which in effect destroyed the individual rights of all Americans. But since it didn't have anything to do with gun control a lot of Conservatives tend to forget that.

:D
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#215Allaster111Posted 2/19/2013 4:48:36 PM
If this trend keeps up, we'll have devs asking for money if you even look at the box art at the store or online. Because you obviously enjoyed looking at it and someone needs to get paid.

But, to the point... As of right now it in the USA, it goes like this.

Pirating a game = illegal.
Buying/selling a used game = legal.

And that's that. Everything else is irrelevant.

For those of you that really hate the used game market, you need to call your legislators and lobby for them to make that market illegal. Otherwise, the used game market will continue despite the crying and circle jerk arguments.
#216TheBlueStigPosted 2/19/2013 4:51:12 PM
ILikesCheese posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
You're kidding right? It was the democrat controlled congress that passed HR 1955 in 2007, a bill that essentially destroys the First Amendment.

The democrats have voted to restrict freedom and individual rights wherever possible, and will keep doing it until they're stopped.

No no no no no. You are confused.

You're thinking of the "Patriot Act" that Bush 2 pushed through with his Republican controlled House and Senate (save for Sanders) which in effect destroyed the individual rights of all Americans. But since it didn't have anything to do with gun control a lot of Conservatives tend to forget that.

:D

I know what the Patriot Act is, and it's got nothing to do with HR 1955.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#217Meta LobsterPosted 2/20/2013 10:27:01 AM
Stealthlys posted...
ITT if my opinions don't match yours=stupid.

Also, used game sales do hurt devs, that was a potential second customer.
Just sayian it DOES hurt devs.

But yet the movie industry doesn't see controlling it neccessary.

For a used game sale to qualify as a potential new sale customer; you have to assume the following:

-That they found the game interesting enough at full price to buy it to begin with admist all the competition.

-That they'd take interest in purchasing the game while its STILL in circulation/print new and not a year or two after.

-That the person would just buy a used copy of a new game while its STILL in active circulation, for five bucks less, knowing good and well they're running the risk of getting a copy in poor condition.

That's just too much assuming that has to be done to say that even the majority of used game sale was even a 'potential' second customer in the first place. Not to mention factoring in if used game markets was even a deciding factor in the console purchase to begin with.

It could very well end up costing MORE to implement such a system just to see minimal increase in 'new' sales. Development ain't easy after all.

You're right in saying it does hurt. But the thing is... does it hurt enough to give a damn about it and alienate gamers who don't have as much to spend, but still buy new copies occassionally? Doubting that.
---
Do all you people just post just to complain about the opinions of others?
#218TheHunger82Posted 2/20/2013 11:18:53 AM
It would be interesting to see just how much money these game devs get from DLC sales from people who bought used or pirate copies of their games and compare the figures with DLC sales from people who bought new copies of their games from the store.
---
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
GamerTag : TheHunger82