This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Destiny will require online connection

#21mtjormitchPosted 2/18/2013 9:36:50 AM
Kazuya_80 posted...
mtjormitch posted...
It's because we want something that can last nearly forever instead of when devs decide to shut it down after a couple years for the next version. Also because online only is quite possibly the most anti consumer thing invented by film, book, comic book, and video games combined. It literally is one of the most unfriendly practices out there when it comes to how vile most of these online only games get.

Also, how many online games in the last... 7 years are still played and or even have servers still on? Only a few out of THOUSANDS. Online only games are pretty much wastes of money and judging by what Bungie is doing with not showing any gameplay at all. This game is going to suck and they are just trying to pull a Aliens Colonial Marines on us.

If the game sucks then you wouldnt play it anyway ?

I feel like warning people away. I get gut feelings about video games. This one has bad mojo all over it.
---
People need to realize that games are art. Seriously, it's been proven over and over again. I think it's about time to people to man up and finally say this.
#22darkharePosted 2/18/2013 9:39:54 AM
mtjormitch posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...
Ill never understand people that have this fear or hatred of games requiring online. Its strange. What is your fear? Or are you just that against playing with anyone but yourself?

The gaming community has to be one of the weirdest there is.

It's because we want something that can last nearly forever instead of when devs decide to shut it down after a couple years for the next version. Also because online only is quite possibly the most anti consumer thing invented by film, book, comic book, and video games combined. It literally is one of the most unfriendly practices out there when it comes to how vile most of these online only games get.

Also, how many online games in the last... 7 years are still played and or even have servers still on? Only a few out of THOUSANDS. Online only games are pretty much wastes of money and judging by what Bungie is doing with not showing any gameplay at all. This game is going to suck and they are just trying to pull a Aliens Colonial Marines on us.

Oh, and the fact that I can still buy Mario for the NES and still play it and now while I can't play a good half of Halo 2 due to the online dying out.

I want something that can last and actually be good is pretty much what I want.

that is the point of the majority of games going online, shuffle everyone in let them be entertained then push everyone out the door and make them buy another game. the majority of games trending towards online now puts them on a time-line, its these kind of trends thats making me very cautious about what console if any im going to buy next gen.

---
sarcasm in this forum has gotten too deep, cant tell if everyones drowning in it or just over-reacting.
#23EM_MegaPosted 2/18/2013 9:41:59 AM
mrshowtime333 posted...
EM_Mega posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...
Ill never understand people that have this fear or hatred of games requiring online. Its strange. What is your fear? Or are you just that against playing with anyone but yourself?

What it means is that those who live in areas with only shoddy internet connections available to them will experience frequent disconnects and will be unable to play the game fluidly.

Well if you live where you cant get some kind of broadband these days then its probably time to think about moving. Because im betting the rest of the infastructure in that area is poor as well. And if its a money issue than you probably shouldnt have a console and worry about buying $60 games for a 6 hour campaign.

So you're saying those who live in the more rural areas of America have no right to play games solely because they prefer to live closer to the countryside?

It's not even just them, multiple apartments complexes these days have extremely restrictive internet services for those who live in them. Bandwidth caps, restricted access to the routers, it's all a mess that's compounded by terrible wiring in those very same apartments which cause frequent drops.

Moving your entire living quarters just to be able to play games at your leisure is an absurd idea in the first place, and your statement just shows how blind to other perspectives you are. Consoles are supposed to be the cheaper option for gaming anyway, if money wasn't a problem the vast majority of the community would be PC gaming already.
---
Main: Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye
Side: Strider/Dante/Doom
#24mrshowtime333Posted 2/18/2013 9:44:01 AM
mtjormitch posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...

Oh, and the fact that I can still buy Mario for the NES and still play it and now while I can't play a good half of Halo 2 due to the online dying out.

I want something that can last and actually be good is pretty much what I want.

I think the majority could care less about being able to play a game that is years old. People still play Mario?

Im dont understand what is so vile about it. Are you worried about DRM? If so, why? In this games case online is required because of the style of game it is. You dont like the game, ok there are many other options for you. But I will say that your days of SP are coming to a end sooner than later. The number of people looking for that is dropping. And the quality of a campaigns have been dropping this entire gen.

To me, if the community wants to get up in arms about something it should be about the quality of games in general. You mention only a few games being active out of thousands. Well thats because 95% of games are awful.

Instead of the community not putting up with broken, awful games.....they still buy them. Not only do they buy them, they defend them. Broken games like GR Future Soldier for example. Nobody in their right mind could enjoy that mess. But this "fanboy" epidemic has people defending and accepting these piles of trash. So of course, we just keep getting piles of trash.

Far Cry 3 was a big budget game that had a entire studio working on MP. They still couldnt put together a functional game.
#25staticxtreme5Posted 2/18/2013 9:49:22 AM
if you don't like it requiring internet then don't buy it. If you want to miss out on what could be an excellent gaming experience then so be it. I don't understand why people can't take something for what it is and be happy. Buy the game, play the game, have fun for a while and move on to the next thing. Why must every game last until the end of time? I just don't understand the complaints.
#26mrshowtime333Posted 2/18/2013 9:57:18 AM
EM_Mega posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...
EM_Mega posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...

What it means is that those who live in areas with only shoddy internet connections available to them will experience frequent disconnects and will be unable to play the game fluidly.

Well if you live where you cant get some kind of broadband these days then its probably time to think about moving. Because im betting the rest of the infastructure in that area is poor as well. And if its a money issue than you probably shouldnt have a console and worry about buying $60 games for a 6 hour campaign.

So you're saying those who live in the more rural areas of America have no right to play games solely because they prefer to live closer to the countryside?

It's not even just them, multiple apartments complexes these days have extremely restrictive internet services for those who live in them. Bandwidth caps, restricted access to the routers, it's all a mess that's compounded by terrible wiring in those very same apartments which cause frequent drops.

Moving your entire living quarters just to be able to play games at your leisure is an absurd idea in the first place, and your statement just shows how blind to other perspectives you are. Consoles are supposed to be the cheaper option for gaming anyway, if money wasn't a problem the vast majority of the community would be PC gaming already.

First, the majority would never go to PC gaming because you have to have some brain to be able to do that. You run into problem solving all the time on PC.

Anyway. 94% of america has broadband access of some kind as of last year. Rural areas generally still have DSL access. Unless its just desolate. If you live in a area such as that, gaming shouldnt even be a worry of yours.

Caps are not a issue with gaming.

I feel as though this group that begs for SP is stuck in a time warp. Look, the world has changed. I know going from arcade gaming to at home was a big leap. But now online is crucial. It will be the biggest part of gaming going forward. You can either see whats happening or give it up. Crying for developers to put in SP is going on deaf ears. Its no longer worth the money to develop these SP experiences you want. Thats why this entire gen you have gotten 6 hour campaigns.
#27mrshowtime333Posted 2/18/2013 9:57:42 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#28SunDevil77Posted 2/18/2013 10:15:04 AM
mtjormitch posted...
People should mention that singleplayer is ALSO required to be online...

Yeah... this game needs to bomb badly. Do not follow the hype. It is WAY to much of a Diablo 3 feel from it.

Yeah, mitch...Diablo 3 sure did flop didn't it ;)
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#29EM_MegaPosted 2/18/2013 10:20:04 AM
mrshowtime333 posted...
EM_Mega posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...
EM_Mega posted...
mrshowtime333 posted...

First, the majority would never go to PC gaming because you have to have some brain to be able to do that. You run into problem solving all the time on PC.

Anyway. 94% of america has broadband access of some kind as of last year. Rural areas generally still have DSL access. Unless its just desolate. If you live in a area such as that, gaming shouldnt even be a worry of yours.

Caps are not a issue with gaming.

I feel as though this group that begs for SP is stuck in a time warp. Look, the world has changed. I know going from arcade gaming to at home was a big leap. But now online is crucial. It will be the biggest part of gaming going forward. You can either see whats happening or give it up. Crying for developers to put in SP is going on deaf ears. Its no longer worth the money to develop these SP experiences you want. Thats why this entire gen you have gotten 6 hour campaigns.

What " brains" are needed to PC game? Ordering a pre-made custom rig and then hooking it up is no more difficult than setting up a console. They don't even have to go through motherboard compatibility issues or anything using that method.

Not sure what you mean by "94%" either, since http://tinyurl.com/bovasa and http://tinyurl.com/a3qnr9p both show that the population with reliable internet access is well below that. Keep in mind this is those who have used such a device even ONCE within the past year.
How are caps not an issue? Anyone who takes an online class has to stream lectures and download video files sometimes, which certainly takes up bandwidth quickly. After they hit the cap, then what? Don't play anything for the entire month? That's a pretty harsh punishment for doing nothing And what's your response to restricted router access? I'm eager to hear your enlightened response of how to deal with that.

Face it, until the infrastructure worldwide is reliable and affordable, mandatory online connections is stupid.
---
Main: Nova/Spencer/Hawkeye
Side: Strider/Dante/Doom
#30seankimberley42Posted 2/18/2013 10:21:27 AM
mtjormitch posted...
Kazuya_80 posted...
mtjormitch posted...

If the game sucks then you wouldnt play it anyway ?

I feel like warning people away. I get gut feelings about video games. This one has bad mojo all over it.

I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't trust your gut to digest food Mitch.
---
Twilight is like Soccer: 2 hours of people running around, no one scoring and millions of fans telling me I don't get it. - Maliice