This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Retry: 360 is making some odd noise (not disc related)

#1LancetJadesPosted 2/18/2013 12:42:38 PM(edited)
Now let's see if we can have some actual discussion and help on this topic.

LancetJades
It's an original model, jasper chip.

On the lower/right half of the console (depending on how you look at it, it's the part with the power button), today it has an odd rumble-like noise. It sounds sort of like the fan is blowing too fast, or something around the fan is slightly out of alignment, causing it to do a rumbling sound.

This happens whether there's a disc in or not, and starts within 10 seconds of turning it on. Just started today, although I remember it happening once before, several months ago, and I forget what I did (if anything) to stop it.

It's almost certainly the fan, but does anyone have any ideas for what to do?

EDIT: Ok, it went away after leaving the 360 sitting on the dashboard for a few minutes. I'm guessing something was slightly ajar with the fan or something and it (probably) corrected itself. Still would like a more concrete answer if anyone else has had this issue before.

It made the sound for a minute when I played later yesterday too, but I was playing a game, so it seems like it goes away. I gave the vents (or what I assume are vents - the little holes) a cleaning with my air spray, but not sure it did much.

DarkSymbiote
Not to takeover the topic but after I shut down my Elite, I often get a sound coming from the system. Most probably the fan keeps spinning for a while. Any thoughts?

It sounds like you have cloud saves and/or "down after system turned off" set to on. Those two features make the 360 continue running for a minute or so after you turn it off. Disable both, and it'll shut down fully immediately when you turn it off. If you use one or both features, then you're stuck with it. If you're offline, it may still try to sync, but can't find the connection and so fails. But it might still try.

vigorm0rtis
Any way you clean electronics, it's a risk. It's probably safest to open it up and use compressed air-- blow it out of the machine, not just off visible surfaces. Vacuums and dust rags can create a static charge.

I used compressed air, but I'm not sure how successful it was. Is there any specific place or way to use the air to most effectively clean the inside of dust?
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#2CapwnDPosted 2/18/2013 12:51:20 PM
It sounds like you have cloud saves and/or "down after system turned off" set to on. Those two features make the 360 continue running for a minute or so after you turn it off. Disable both, and it'll shut down fully immediately when you turn it off. If you use one or both features, then you're stuck with it. If you're offline, it may still try to sync, but can't find the connection and so fails. But it might still try.

I would definitely leave it on if you use cloud. They added that after it was clear that the cloud wasn't working right unless people would dashboard and wait for active downloads to finish, (synching up the cloud).
---
Death to Videodrome, Long Live the New Flesh
#3Billy_DeliciousPosted 2/18/2013 12:55:37 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#4Erupt50Posted 2/18/2013 12:57:05 PM
Try hitting it.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#5Killah PriestPosted 2/18/2013 12:58:01 PM
looking at the innards of the old consoles... I can't see anything located in that area that might cause a noise.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#6LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 2/18/2013 1:01:33 PM
Killah Priest posted...
looking at the innards of the old consoles... I can't see anything located in that area that might cause a noise.

It sounds like the fan is slightly off-balance or something. I had an old computer that had a similar (but different nonetheless) noise issue from the fan region. Never did officially diagnose it, though.

Erupt50 posted...
Try hitting it.

I actually did. No hard or anything, just lightly, but firmly enough that it might do something. All it did was delay the noise by about 10 seconds when I next turned it on. Not eager to get more violent with my system than I did there.
---
Eclipsing power is, at times, not only the instrument of demons, but also of gods.
Lost, but not forgotten.
#7Killah PriestPosted 2/18/2013 1:04:39 PM
maybe the little USB box came loose and is slightly vibrating from the fans?

the only thing I see in that area is a heatsink and the USB hub for the front.
---
#8Killah PriestPosted 2/18/2013 1:06:10 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-an-xbox-360-jasper-ben-heck-dissects-the-mythical-consol/

some pictures for reference.
---
#9LancetJades(Topic Creator)(Moderator)Posted 2/18/2013 1:14:23 PM
Killah Priest posted...
http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/10/inside-an-xbox-360-jasper-ben-heck-dissects-the-mythical-consol/

some pictures for reference.

I'll check that out later tonight and see if I can find anything that may cause it, assuming it's even doing it today. Thanks for the help!
---
Lost, but not forgotten.
#10popping4itPosted 2/18/2013 1:21:19 PM
its the fan.

either a wire is resting on the rotating fan or the fan is off balance so its rattling.
---
Ravens WORLD Champions, Flacco = ELITE
Still hoping for a Shenmue 3.