This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Question about Gamestop preorders and return policies

#1BronxstaPosted 2/18/2013 10:43:43 PM
1) So I had preordered a game. It got delayed so I had transferred that preorder to another game. Then that game got delayed so I decided to just cancel the preorder. Now the Gamestop employee said I can't cancel because I already transferred the preorder. I'd have to wait for the game to release to get my money back.

Anyone else experience this? True or not?

2) So two days ago, I bought a game, partly with credit and partly with cash. Now when I want to return this game. Would the money I get back include tax? Because once before I had returned a 24.99 game (~26.80 with tax) but they would only give me back the 24.99.

Anyone else had to deal wih this? Was I ripped off?
#2glassghost0Posted 2/18/2013 10:46:32 PM
You were ripped off in both cases
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428
#3SolGerXPosted 2/18/2013 10:52:44 PM
1: it should be possible to do it. i don't think they can just keep your money hostage. try another employee or maybe a manager.

2. was the game new or used? new: you have 30 days to return it for another copy of the same game. i don't believe you can get the cash or credit for it. if it is used: you have 7 days to return it for a full refund. credit and cash in your case. about the tax...idk...as long as you can get your money back i don't think it matters.
---
GamerTag: SolGer360
#4Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 10:54:05 PM
glassghost0 posted...
You were ripped off in both cases

Damn, really?

I still have the preorder. The employee's story was that now that I preordered, she can't cancel it at Gamestop. She would have to call the distributor and work it out with them. And I just want my $5 back!

And I'm supposed to get tax back. Good, now I know. If they try to rip me off again, how should I approach the situation? (Returning a game tomorrow)
#5Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 10:57:17 PM
SolGerX posted...
1: it should be possible to do it. i don't think they can just keep your money hostage. try another employee or maybe a manager.

2. was the game new or used? new: you have 30 days to return it for another copy of the same game. i don't believe you can get the cash or credit for it. if it is used: you have 7 days to return it for a full refund. credit and cash in your case. about the tax...idk...as long as you can get your money back i don't think it matters.

It was used, but I had returned the next day. And even if tax is a dollar and change, I paid it. So does anyone know if I'm supposed to get tax back too?
#6glassghost0Posted 2/18/2013 11:04:57 PM
Bronxsta posted...
SolGerX posted...

It was used, but I had returned the next day. And even if tax is a dollar and change, I paid it. So does anyone know if I'm supposed to get tax back too?

1.Just go back when someone else is working and just say that you want to cancel your preorder.

2.I've always gotten the exact amount back when I took back a used game, so idk what's going on there
---
www.youtube.com/GlassGhost428
#7mattcorley1212Posted 2/18/2013 11:17:04 PM
#1 happened to me when the ps2 came out. And they still had software etc. they are not fans of you canceling a preorder. It has nothing to do with anything other than lazy employees. Jus tell them you want your 5$ end of story and slip a "suck it" in there if you can haha. Ive hated this company forever. Ill only buy from them if my local used game store is more expensive, and yes ill drive a street to save 3$
---
"this fit like clothes made outta wasp"
GT-K3lnk3ll
#8IonizerPosted 2/18/2013 11:20:45 PM
GS employees will tell you anything so that you don't cancel a pre-order with them. Apparently, their quota of pre-orders also counts pre-orders they cancel as "negatives." If you make a fuss, they may call a manager, so that when you do cancel it, it's on the manager's record, not theirs.

Go back in there and make sure the same girl you talked to before is there. Cancel your pre-order with her and no one else. If she calls a manager, make sure the cancellation is on her record. She should not be rewarded for lying to customers.

The other thing might just be a glitch in the system. I know some states don't require you to pay sales tax if buy something with store credit, but since you paid partly in cash, they probably charged you tax. When you returned it, the computer may have just seen "paid with store credit" and didn't think it charged you tax in the first place. It might be too late for that transaction, but next time, double check before putting your money away and leaving, then point out the discrepancy if it comes up again. They can't charge you tax on something you no longer own.
---
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s166/Ionizer_1/squirrel.jpg
Carrier of Squirrel Flu
#9Bronxsta(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2013 11:29:19 PM
Ionizer posted...
GS employees will tell you anything so that you don't cancel a pre-order with them. Apparently, their quota of pre-orders also counts pre-orders they cancel as "negatives." If you make a fuss, they may call a manager, so that when you do cancel it, it's on the manager's record, not theirs.

Go back in there and make sure the same girl you talked to before is there. Cancel your pre-order with her and no one else. If she calls a manager, make sure the cancellation is on her record. She should not be rewarded for lying to customers..

Didn't know that about preorders and Gamestops. Makes more sense now. She made this big deal out it: she would have to call the distributor and see if they could do anything. Supposedly the process would have taken an hour.

And it's funny; I'm still definitely going to get the game (The Last of Us) but all I wanted was my $5 back. Now my $$ going to Best Buy when I get it in June.
#10JenniferTatePosted 2/18/2013 11:41:46 PM
The pre-order/return system is a little idiotic. I haven't worked there in a decade but it used to work as such:

I'm working and Jim is working. You come to the counter and I ring you out on my register. You pre-order Bioshock and GTA.

I'm +2, Jim is at 0.

I go on lunch, you come back and change your mind. You return the games through Jim. I'm at +2, Jim is at -2.

Your friend decides to pre-order three games. Jim is now at +1, I'm still +2 because it didn't strike against me. I come back from lunch, the District Manager calls and tells me I'm better than Jim, my Manager gives me more hours. Except my subscription attachments suck, so he still hates me.

The next day, I start at 0 and open by myself. Your friend comes in and refunds all his pre-orders I wasn't even there for. Now I'm -3 to start, and my manager is on my case when he waltzes in at noon.

As for used games, bring your receipt. You should get every penny back.
---
"If it's important, do it every day. If it's not important, don't do it all." -Dan Gable