This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Display problem

#1mucusquintPosted 2/19/2013 7:44:07 AM
I recently bought a new 360 slim 250 gb to replace my old elite which broke. I have it connected to my TV using a HDMI cable but every time I turn the 360 on it automatically sets the resolution to 480p when my TV is capable of displaying in 1080p. What this means is that I have to manually change the display settings each time I turn the machine on. I know this is a relatively minor complaint but if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can fix this it would be appreciated.
---
Nice shoes, you must work out.
#2FocianPosted 2/19/2013 8:17:09 AM
I know very little about the subject matter, but something about the 'Reference Levels' settings may be relevant here.

Play around with it and see if it makes any difference while waiting for someone who actually knows about this stuff to post and help you.
---
GT/PSN: Focian
The measure of a life is a measure of love and respect; So hard to earn, so easily burned.
#3SheepinatorPosted 2/19/2013 8:21:23 AM
Have you tried enabling Display Discovery? Do you have other things plugged in which may mess with the HDCP signals? Such as a dongle for a headset.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#4ObtikPosted 2/19/2013 8:36:44 AM
Reference levels refer to how deep your blacks are, standard if your tv had naturally good blacks, expanded for lots lcds and leds with those washed out looking blacks.

Right?
#5mucusquint(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 8:47:42 AM
The Display Discovery option solved the problem so thanks for your help fellas.
---
Nice shoes, you must work out.
#6SheepinatorPosted 2/19/2013 8:50:50 AM
Obtik posted...
Reference levels refer to how deep your blacks are, standard if your tv had naturally good blacks, expanded for lots lcds and leds with those washed out looking blacks.

Right?

Sort of. It's more to do with the encoding of the color range. It's something like Expanded uses the full range of 0-255 but Standard maps to 16-235 or something like that. If the TV expects a full range input and the lowest input is 16, the result is a loss of blacks. I set my 360 to Expanded and my TV's to Full.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.