This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Questions about the 4GB xbox 360 and USB drives

#1EasyPIMPPosted 2/19/2013 6:53:51 AM
Hi there, Im thinking of getting a new xbox 4gb console, I did have the 250gb but I had to sell it (this was like a year ago maybe) well Im thinking of getting a 4gb but what Im wondering is, I know 4gb isnt alot of room atall, so would it be possible to load mappacks onto my usb drive which is like 64gb? and would I be able to install games onto my usb drive and play them of there? (obviously I know I still need the disk)
#2EasyPIMP(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 9:09:14 AM
also do ALL 360 games work on 4gb?
#3kingbahamut83Posted 2/19/2013 9:16:12 AM
USB sticks can only be 16gb but you can use 2. This is unless they changed how it works. I believe the answer to both questions is yes otherwise.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
The R in my tag is apparently invisible in COD to everyone.
#4TheBlueStigPosted 2/19/2013 9:34:25 AM
kingbahamut83 posted...
USB sticks can only be 16gb but you can use 2. This is unless they changed how it works. I believe the answer to both questions is yes otherwise.

The limit was changed to 32GB for each stick months ago.

And for some features of select games you still need an official HDD.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#5_Ominousity_Posted 2/19/2013 9:34:52 AM
kingbahamut83 posted...

Actually, the limit is now 32GB, they upped it in a recent system update.

TC: The only real limits you'll have with a USB vs an actual HDD are you cannot play Games on Demand or Xbox Originals, or download certain content that requires a hard drive, like the Battlefield 3 HD pack.
---
Xbox Live Gamertag - Om1nous1ty -
[R] [Looknmypants]: YO shhh im straight chipp off this ambien and iu think my towel cat can hear you
#6Super CreaturesPosted 2/19/2013 8:54:48 PM
_Ominousity_ posted...
The only real limits you'll have with a USB vs an actual HDD are you cannot play Games on Demand

Yes, you can.

I don't know where people get the idea that GoD requires an HDD to be able to play them.

The only games listed under the "Games on Demand" section of the marketplace that require an HDD to be able to play them are Xbox Originals, since the HDD is required for the BC software needed to play any original Xbox game.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#7GGearXPosted 2/19/2013 9:01:43 PM
Super Creatures posted...
_Ominousity_ posted...
The only real limits you'll have with a USB vs an actual HDD are you cannot play Games on Demand

Yes, you can.

I don't know where people get the idea that GoD requires an HDD to be able to play them.

The only games listed under the "Games on Demand" section of the marketplace that require an HDD to be able to play them are Xbox Originals, since the HDD is required for the BC software needed to play any original Xbox game.

You CAN play GoD games but they stutter and slow down due to how slow the memory card are. So it's not advisable to play on a cheap little USB flash drive.
---
GT: KryDamoure *Insert cool line here *
.............I'm a very shy guy........
#8Super CreaturesPosted 2/19/2013 9:21:17 PM
That is entirely dependent on the quality of the flash drive.

Even the one I was using, which was below recommended specs, back before I had an HDD had no problem running games off of it.
---
R.I.P. Eve English (Feb. 12, 1968 - Oct. 13, 2010)
Momma Eve, you will be missed.
#9kingbahamut83Posted 2/20/2013 6:37:21 AM
TheBlueStig posted...
kingbahamut83 posted...

The limit was changed to 32GB for each stick months ago.

Did not know that as i have a 250gb. only use my flash drive to take profile mobile and its just a small 1gb.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
The R in my tag is apparently invisible in COD to everyone.