This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Do people seriously believe used games are going away for the next gen?

#1Inter4lifePosted 2/19/2013 11:59:46 AM
So far, ive already read alot of articles saying how ps4 and xbox 720 will have new copyright technology, in which the games pass will be needed to activate the game for use on your console. Ive also read how people believe ps4 will be better than the xbox because they wont be implementing the copyright technology or something, but i doubt it, cuz they are the ones who patented it.

Heres what i believe is going to happen:

The games will use the pass to activate the game and if you dont have the pass, you cant play the game and vice versa. Consequently, passes for games will be available for purchase without the game for around 10-15$. This enables users to enjoy used games while game developers still make money off their games. I honestly believe this is fair while still being reasonable. Imagine if they take away used games access altogether. Anyways, this is what i believe will happen. Let me know your thoughts.
---
GT: Inter4life PSN: gamerfreak93
#2MichaelDeAngeloPosted 2/19/2013 1:31:14 PM
If it costs $10-15 to activate a game, GameStop would have to drop their prices significantly for it to make any sense.
---
Alundra is the best top-down Zelda game since Link to the Past.
Darksiders is the best 3D Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.
#3crucialPosted 2/19/2013 3:42:03 PM
Gamestop would go under as well as Gamefly and mom and pop stores,but many people will just not buy it,I borrow game's or trade and rent titles im screwed so why buy it?just saying.
#4crucialPosted 2/19/2013 3:43:26 PM
one more thing,if Sony and MS do in fact do this I will buy a high end PC for my gaming.
#5s2goodPosted 2/19/2013 3:52:06 PM
crucial posted...
one more thing,if Sony and MS do in fact do this I will buy a high end PC for my gaming.

You cant trade PC Games in.

This doesn't effect me in the slightest tbf. All the games I want I buy on day one. And never sell them.
---
XBLIVE - Sonic B0000M NNID - Sonic_B0000M
PSN - Dragon--Punch STEAM - Sonic B0000M
#6campersniperPosted 2/19/2013 5:15:44 PM
"You cant trade PC Games in."

who cares, they are free.
---
@ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @ @
If guns kill people, then spoons make people fat.
#7VandorLeePosted 2/19/2013 5:18:09 PM
campersniper posted...
"You cant trade PC Games in."

who cares, they are free.

This is stupid. Not because i completely agree with you but its "technically" against tos which is stretching it and stupid....
---
"God did not create humans,
Humans created God"
#8PwnostarPosted 2/19/2013 5:24:32 PM
If games stopped being playable once they were used, gaming as a whole would become way too expensive for most people. $60 for each game is not cheap. MS and Sony would seriously have to be on top of things to make sure they have regular sales (not the terrible gold deals that MS currently does) and price drops.

I would rather switch to PC than deal with consoles if that becomes a reality. At least Steam seems to have its **** together.
---
Disregard women, sell illegal substances, and acquire currency.
#9mhollan3Posted 2/19/2013 5:28:12 PM
I think it's a load of garbage.

The only thing I can see is more publishers popping online passes in the games that have significant online play.

Halo 5, Black Ops 3, MW4, BF4, GoW4?, and so on.

The used game market has been out for a LONG TIME. If the companies killed that? They kill Gamefly, Redbox's game division, Gamestop obviously, even pawn shops and such.

It'd be a very poor business solution, and one I don't see coming. The reports from that one guy? Garbage. If he really had all that stuff, he would've been for-real jailed long ago.
#10AnonymousFriendPosted 2/19/2013 5:33:37 PM
If this comes to pass, then it will become a buyers market for used games. As used game sellers will have to lower their prices to accommadate. Game rental companies will have to work more with the game companies to stay in business.

And if you're compaining because now your commune of ten gamer buddies can't share the same game, then you are why this is happening. Plus, this doesn't stop ten people from playing the game on the same console.
---
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend