This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Black History Month Gaming Poll. Favorite Black Protagonist. (Poll)

#81656stoogePosted 2/20/2013 3:36:07 AM
Damn. We really need some more black protagonist, don't we?

I spent a decent amount of time trying to come up with a game I love staring a black protagonist, and all I could think of was my character in Fallout New Vegas.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#82Fazeo13Posted 2/20/2013 3:46:24 AM
XphoenixedgeX posted...

Mr. Popo is not even human. lol.

So that's how you feel about black people huh? Disgusting. Heimdall in the Thor movie was obviously black and also a godlike entity like Mr Popo I suppose he isn't black either. What now you have a problem with deity characters being black?
---
You aren't even really reading my posts; you're just staring at your e-mail client and fondly reminiscing about that hobo you stabbed to death. :P
#83Mutant1988Posted 2/20/2013 3:51:55 AM
Halo_Forever posted...
A few characters that I was missing in the poll.

Roland, Borderlands
Louis Left 4 Dead
Coach, Left 4 Dead 2
Rochelle, Left 4 Dead 2
Purna, Dead Island
Sam B, Dead Island
Kimberly Evans, Call of Juarez The Cartel.

Let us not forget the unforgettable performance of 50 Cent as 50 Cent in 50 Cent Blood on the Sand.

That game is hilarious.

But it does raise some questions when it is one of the few games I own for the Xbox 360 that has a black protagonist. Actually, I count 4 games (Out of 113):

50 Cent Blood on the Sand, Alien Versus Predator (2010 - But the character is so incidental it hardly matters), Call of Juarez the Cartel and The Outfit.

Is it really that difficult for the majority of gamers to identify with a protagonist with a different skin colour than their own?

I think we need more games that challenge the norm. Games like The Walking Dead, which is what I voted for in the poll. Well written characters with depth to them, that just happen to be black and not only being so to prove a point (Racism is bad, durh!). Basically, have people be people instead of tools to convey a message.
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.
#84656stoogePosted 2/20/2013 3:56:20 AM
"Is it really that difficult for the majority of gamers to identify with a protagonist with a different skin colour than their own?"

Well producers seem to think so. Hell, the middle eastern enemies and allies in MGS4 were changed to have an American accent because it was thought people wouldn't be able to identify to people with a foreign accent.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#85bigbadharryPosted 2/20/2013 3:57:58 AM
Too many of them already and if they're the main character the game doesn't do well anyway, leave it for games like fallout.
#86Mutant1988Posted 2/20/2013 3:59:52 AM
bigbadharry posted...
Too many of them already

You are aware that this can be interpreted in a very bad way, right?
---
Know that if you allow someone to take advantage of you, they might make it a habit.