This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can online gaming be saved?

#1LinktoDrinkPosted 2/19/2013 4:02:46 PM
Ever since Xbox introduced private parties, nobody is ever on their microphones in game anymore. The entire social aspect of playing with people around the world is gone, because you never hear from them. It's also become that your entire goal in playing online is to level up and get better gear. That is not what online gaming is supposed to be.

We're seeing more multiplayer games die so much faster now than they used to, and the reason is that there isn't that element of fun thatddrove the industry in the first place. People just get on the new games, play them for a bit while they talk to friends in the chat, and then move on.

The whole point of playing games with other people is to have fun with them. Online games opened that up to not only play with friends but hundreds of people from all over. Regulars of a game would always talk and become friends in that way. Now, you never talk to any of them. It has become little more than playing against the computer, so there is nothing to keep people coming back after the initial excitement wears off.

So what can be done to save it?
#2__Stewa__Posted 2/19/2013 4:04:15 PM
Perfectly fine ATM. I prefer talking to friends over 12-year olds who claim to sleep with my family members.
---
"You can't come here!" - Dumbledore, Trek Wars
#3LinktoDrink(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2013 4:14:42 PM
__Stewa__ posted...
Perfectly fine ATM. I prefer talking to friends over 12-year olds who claim to sleep with my family members.

Right. That's what people always say. But again it misses the entire point of playing online. If you're just fine playing with friends, why not just play at each other's houses? It's also very antisocial to hide within your own group and shun the outsiders.

So we look into solutions to save it, as I was talking about. What if they designed an actual working filter that would keep us adults in separate servers than little kids? Then would you feel more interested in talking to people you're playing against?
#4foodeater4Posted 2/19/2013 4:14:47 PM
They die because they arent good enough.
#5darkharePosted 2/19/2013 4:17:54 PM
LinktoDrink posted...
__Stewa__ posted...

Right. That's what people always say. But again it misses the entire point of playing online. If you're just fine playing with friends, why not just play at each other's houses? It's also very antisocial to hide within your own group and shun the outsiders.

So we look into solutions to save it, as I was talking about. What if they designed an actual working filter that would keep us adults in separate servers than little kids? Then would you feel more interested in talking to people you're playing against?

private parties works just fine, we still play with the kids in online games we just dont have to hear them.
---
sarcasm in this forum has gotten too deep, cant tell if everyones drowning in it or just over-reacting.
#6itsFelbournePosted 2/19/2013 4:21:54 PM
It's only your opinion that socializing is the point of online play. I play because its easier finding opponents/challenge and could care less about chatter.

Just because I don't care to hear crap talking and I don't want to make fake internet "friends", doesn't mean I'm antisocial.
#7AssassinDXPosted 2/19/2013 4:22:38 PM
I hope it dies tbh, either bring back local multiplayer or focus on single player content.
---
http://www.last.fm/user/Assassin_D_X
NAMI-SWAAAAAN!!!
#8mrshowtime333Posted 2/19/2013 4:25:36 PM
Well I think its because nobody wants to talk with little kids yelling into their mic. Or here internet gangsters shouting nonsense at them.

In BF3 you have active mic servers. More adults on that game. The server set up helps actually. People can seek out each other by choosing server where mics are required.