This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Have Developers/Publishers in general lost money from generation to generation?

#11shawnmckPosted 2/19/2013 11:27:25 PM(edited)
Sheepinator posted...
TheBlueStig posted...
Industry earnings have kept going UP every year since the NES came out.

Any developers that have failed in that time only have themselves to blame for not doing what they were supposed to.

Who needs facts when they get in the way of the fiction you repeatedly post? Publishers earnings are public knowledge. I know you've been in topics where you have been given these facts.

Companies like EA, Take Two, THQ, have made a fraction of the profits this cycle compared to what they made on PS2/Xbox, and this is reflected in their stock prices which have massively under-performed the market. Activision has done well thanks to CoD and WoW.

^ The stock Market is NOT an indication on how much money a company is making...
Apple stocks are down, yet they are still making an ass-ton of money.
Sure, there sales are down a little, but not that big as a percentage.
For example, their sales are down from this point last year, but they are still way up over this point 5 years ago.
Yet their stocks are much lower.

Stock Market is a fickle *****, and you can't really use it to judge how well or poorly a company is doing.
Heck, even gamestop saw their stocks go down a little, even though their earnings are up slightly.

Or how about Disney having their stocks go up after the announcement that they bought Lucas and the Star Wars franchise...yet their overall sales are the same (or even down in some areas).

Stock market is not an accurate gauge with which to measure company success in terms of profits.
It can be, but not always....which makes it unreliable.
#12SheepinatorPosted 2/19/2013 11:27:11 PM
Profits well down... check.
Stock prices well down... check.

Coincidence? Doubtful.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#13shawnmckPosted 2/19/2013 11:31:31 PM
^ Its the ECONOMY.

And sales are DOWN everywhere.
Car sales
Home sales
Clothing sales
Movie-ticket sales
Music sales
cigarette sales
Electronics sales
TV sales
and etc, & etc, and etc...

Sales are down Everywhere...NOT just video-games.
So your point is moot.
#14SheepinatorPosted 2/19/2013 11:38:41 PM
Those things didn't see a sudden massive increase in costs like console games did, as in several hundred % increase in costs.
---
#15SheepinatorPosted 2/19/2013 11:49:27 PM
As for stock prices, short term volatility over days, weeks, months, is different to a multi-year, like 5 years, performance.
---
#16chrcolPosted 2/20/2013 3:55:50 AM
its worth pointing out a game taking many years to develop is actually normal.

games finished in a year (which seems more common lately) is a sign of excessive dev staff to rush it through, lack of QA and probably a rushed game in general.

eg. FF13 took 3 and half years, FF13-2 a year or so later? FF13-2 clearly looks more rushed out of the 2 games but also that FF13-2 used the same engine as FF13-2 which was alreayd developed. Blizzard routinely take several years to develop their games and it shows on the finished product. They also support their games several years after release as well. eg. the last patch for warcraft 3 was over 5 years after release. WoW is still going and was released several years ago. People will still be playing SC2 in 5 years time.