This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't recall the last time a game has annoyed me as much as Dead Space 3.

#21VIC10U5Posted 2/20/2013 1:40:42 PM
Dragon Nexus posted...
So because they made the PC not as godly as it has been in the past games, the shooting doesn't feel right? The shooting feels better because there isn't just one go to weapon.

Every weapon in DS1 and 2 had a purpose.
Now you need to craft something godly to make things feel right again. I shouldn't have to, the crafting system, if you're going to use such a thing, should exist to give me lots of viable options, not a mere handful with the rest being trash.

Dominant strategy will always take over in games, especially shooters. In the previous games, I'd have a line gun to use on the lurkers. they nerfed it so it fires so slowly as to be useless, plus the power is lame. The ripper used to hold enemies back at a safe distance, now without the enemies recoiling from being hurt they just run right through it without a care. Force gun is still great, sure. Flame thrower is still rubbish. Plasma cutter as nerfed, again because of a lack of recoil.

It's the subtleties that screwed the game up for me. Making the gunplay feel this much worse just ruins a big chunk of the experience. The story is okay, I can take it or leave it. A good story would have been great, but I can survive without. Weapon crafting...eh, woulda preferred the old system still, but I don't mind the new system.

but why nerf the weapons? Why make enemies way too hardy against being shot? Why take what was already brilliant and then tweak it to make it worse?

They are not nerfed. Just because they are not GODLY in this game (to begin with because you can certainly MAKE ANYTHING godly in this game) doesn't mean they are not good. As I said my PC rocks. You seem to want the best weapon in the game at the beginning of the game. What sense of achievement would you have if that were the case? In the other games it is arguable that other guns had thier place (the force gun and ripper were not that good in tthe first game) but what is NOT arguable is that the PC was by far the best gun in the game. If anything things are more balanced now as I have yet to find a weapon or combo that it just awful. Are some better than others? Sure, but that depends on playstyle. I'm playing a rusher on impossible simply using a melee weapon with tons of healthpacks to back me up and guess what, IT'S FUN!
#22VIC10U5Posted 2/20/2013 1:41:18 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#23Allaster111Posted 2/20/2013 1:50:07 PM(edited)
Get out of your comfort zone. Do not cry for the enemy stagger that wet nursed you for the previous two games.

Use stasis. Treat it as part of your weaponry. It's no longer just for the brutes or those road runner necros.

Remember the best bit of advice all the way back on the USG Ishimura. CUT OFF THEIR LIMBS. Specifically, craft a leg destroyer. A shotgun with some damage upgrades can blow off both legs in one hit.

Try out the stasis coating as a weapon attachment. Put it on the chain gun (telemetry spike + diffraction torus) and you can lock down necros just by hosing them down with gunfire.

Use that dodge move. It's there for a reason. (Pick a direction and double tap the run button.)

Have a panic weapon for when you do get surrounded, like when fighting feeders. A rocket launcher with safety guard + stasis is a good one. Just aim at your feet and pull the trigger. What doesn't die will be locked in stasis. That's when you MOVE to a better spot.

Another good panic weapon is the ground pound, aka alt fire from DS2's contact beam. In this game, the crafting formula for it is: plasma core on lower tool + diffraction torus tip + stasis coating on one attachment + stasis amp on second attachment. This one is great because Isaac seems invincible during the short animation where he sticks the gun into the ground.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your annoyance. When I crafted the ripper in this game, I was expecting it to hit-stagger necros like it did in the previous games. But when I saw that my previous go to weapon was no longer as effective, I simply moved on and changed up my tactics and weapon choices.

edit: Just for reference, I was not playing on casual. 1st time was on normal. 2nd time was on hardcore which is locked on hard and does not let you carry over NG+ inventory into that mode.
#24Killah PriestPosted 2/20/2013 1:57:51 PM
I prefer tossing the acid mod on the alt fire contact beam.

invincible issac.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#25Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 8:49:21 PM
Try out the stasis coating as a weapon attachment. Put it on the chain gun (telemetry spike + diffraction torus) and you can lock down necros just by hosing them down with gunfire.

And that is precisely the weapon I'm using. With the force gun as the secondary attachment and plenty of rate-of-fire and clip on the primary and damage on the secondary.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your annoyance. When I crafted the ripper in this game, I was expecting it to hit-stagger necros like it did in the previous games. But when I saw that my previous go to weapon was no longer as effective, I simply moved on and changed up my tactics and weapon choices.

This is just my main annoyance, the lack of flinching.
I get that they can't flinch with every shot you make, keeping them in place in a flinch loop, but they've gone way too far the other way, IMO. I get that the black shiney necros, the real bad-ass ones, are harder to stagger. That makes sense. But the weak-ass ones?.

And the advice of blowing limbs off, I know that. By chapter 15, the dudes with the axes have a black version too, and those are the ones I seem to need to completely dismember. I've taken out both legs and an arm and it's still coming until I take its last arm away, it takes forever and while I'm doing that his two buddies are charging me, and if I deal with them, shorty is jabbing my ankles and making *me* stagger.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#26DarkSymbiotePosted 2/20/2013 8:54:31 PM
Also, what the hell is with the delay between each shots from weapons? Then enemies keep on coming into a room while you are trapped with bad lighting. This has happened 10 times by now.
---
My Resident Evil 6 Review| My XCOM: Enemy Unknown Review
http://bitly.com/Z2CT6n | http://bit.ly/RJGjrn
#27HMXTaylor_LeePosted 2/20/2013 9:08:11 PM
Nothing annoys me more in a game when I am prone to flinching from minor things, but enemies don't react at all.

EFF YOU I WON'T DO WHAT YOU TELL ME is what I usually scream at my TV.
#28troubledsocietyPosted 2/20/2013 9:14:00 PM
I'm kind of glad I didn't hop on Dead Space 3. I liked the first, but the second, while a good game in its own right, felt distant from where I thought they were initially going to take it. I felt the tension was removed even more so in the second game. It was more like I walk into a room, get a cheap scare of some enemy popping out from somewhere and then get swarmed with waves of enemies. And then I would enter another room, and same thing. Over and over. Just so much action going on, I would never get a chance to breathe and let my guard down. They definitely decided that it was more about quantity of enemies that would deliver an engaging game, than the quality and suspense that just a few of these enemies could deliver.
---
San Diego Downhill Racing League! Bottom of the hill for glory, death on the hill for honor!
#29Dragon Nexus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 7:03:55 AM
See, I enjoyed DS2 because it seemed to work out what it wanted to be. Ds1 seemed to try to be frightening but failed at it, so DS2 kinda ditched the idea of being scarey and just became a horror action game. And it worked that way because the shooting was still fun and the enemies now were varied enough to keep things interesting, not to mention the scenery changed around you enough times to keep things fresh. The Sprawl was an interesting place to roam around. Set pieces were fun too.

DS3 has just taken things too far now, it's gone way too action to the point where it feels they're leaving the fanbase behind a bit in order to attract people who weren't interested in the first place.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln