This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What type of game structure do you think would make for a better Aliens game?

#1pothocketPosted 2/20/2013 12:41:00 PM(edited)
Read below before voting! - Results (25 votes)
Option A
56% (14 votes)
Option B
44% (11 votes)
This poll is now closed.
It's pretty clear from A:CM that you can't really plop the Aliens from the movie into that type of game and expect it to still be fun. Apparently you have to nerf the hell out of them. However, what if we could have a modern Aliens game that contains an authentic Alien threat level? I have two ideas

Option A - focus on gameplay. A FPS game with a ruleset based directly off of how Aliens are in the movies. Lethality is not a problem because this is an online game with huge group sizes. Drop 50 players (or 64 because isn't that how that kind of thing works?) onto the planet and wish them luck. Balance the game so that an hour later four of them, on average, will be left standing. Everyone else that died gets to play as an Alien.

Option B - focus on narrative. Basically Aliens as done by Telltale. All of it heavily scripted and gameplay that focuses on group dynamics, forming a plan, and then executing it. Which Marines will you have to watch for cracking under pressure? Which marine is a company plant? How long do you allow the guy who was facehugged to continue living? Do you make an attempt to rescue the marine that was dragged off and still alive? The Aliens are already the sci-fi version of zombies so simply make an Aliens version of Walking Dead.
---
well I am not like your dad. I worked as a chef at TGIF-Mattson
#2Erupt50Posted 2/20/2013 12:45:39 PM
Well, obviously the Aliens games focusing on gameplay just isn't working. Might as well try something different.
---
PSN- Erupt50 XBL- Erupt50
#3Killah PriestPosted 2/20/2013 12:47:20 PM
Option A.

Option B sounds like the worst game ever.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#4RycerXPosted 2/20/2013 12:48:15 PM
It would be great to have both, but I'd rather have polished gameplay, dynamic AI and a robust metagame. Replayability is my main concern. Although I'd love a strong, compelling narrative worthy of the Aliens license, I always have the films for that. ACM was said to take several cues from Left 4 Dead while in production, but apparently not several enough.
#5alienfreaks04Posted 2/20/2013 12:50:52 PM
I'd like a third person horror shooter like Dead Space, but in the Alien universe.
---
My signature is better than yours.
#6pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 12:51:03 PM
Erupt50 posted...
Well, obviously the Aliens games focusing on gameplay just isn't working. Might as well try something different.

I thought I made it clear that option A was all about throwing caution to the wind and giving fans the lethal gameplay they're asking for.
---
#7The DevourerPosted 2/20/2013 12:53:31 PM
A sounds like the most tense and fun. B just sounds like someone trying to make a moving comic or something like how Walking Dead was.

The problem is that you can't base an entire game around that concept as that sort of thing is more suited to be a game mode rather than an entire game. It wouldn't work as a whole game really unless there was something more to it somehow.
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#8SunDevil77Posted 2/20/2013 12:55:06 PM
Option A.

As much as I love TWD and Aliens, I honestly don't feel like Aliens has the type of storyline that could support a narrative based game.
---
Royal with Cheese. What do they call a Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac.
#9pothocket(Topic Creator)Posted 2/20/2013 1:41:25 PM
bump
---
#10Akiba69Posted 2/20/2013 1:46:27 PM
Scripted isn't scary nor is it fun.

Make it less actiony more suspenseful. Rely on the atmosphere, sound design lighting and pacing. Don't just throw alien after alien. It gets boring and loses it's meaning within the first 5 you cut down.
Make resources extremely limited, same with health. Have a few npcs who you can issue orders to. Once they die, they are dead. Make the game full of tension, suspense and choices that matter.

Though i doubt this could be done on a console as many gamers who play consoles, not all, but the majority, are inpatient. Would make a great pc game though.