This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The thing I don't understand about people who don't like used games...

#1vgsrulePosted 2/20/2013 12:54:15 PM
Why are you singling games out? The entire economy works with, and accepts, the idea of reselling products. Literally every kind of product can be resold at some point. Any argument against used games, can be applied to anything else.

I understand it from the business standpoint. Video games are a new enough media that it hasn't been completely integrated into culture yet, so there's some small chance of it being filtered out yet. I hate that, but I understand it.

What I don't get are the fans thinking that way. I want to know what makes games special in this regard. What reason is there to dislike the concept, that can only be applied to video games?
---
http://backloggery.com/khff123
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/A_Metal_Pipe
#2The DevourerPosted 2/20/2013 12:56:25 PM
Because people are short sighted and close minded, basically. It's like singling games out for violence. Because of a short sightedness or some sort of vendetta they have more than likely
---
FX6100, HD7970, 8G DDR3 1600, 750G/400/1T SATA2/3, 700W, Logitech G5/G510, Win7
XPS16 - i7 720QM, 6G DDR3@1333, 500G SATA, HD4670 1G, Win7
#3MrMikeMaPosted 2/20/2013 12:57:20 PM
Why are you singling games out

Because they still live at home and don't have to worry about any real issues in life as of yet
#4TrugamerPosted 2/20/2013 1:04:37 PM
Fanboys don't think about anything but how much money they can throw at their favorite game and think everyone else should feel the same.
Leaving all other new games that have no built in fanboy support system to die.

Somehow lately everything is upside down.
People vote that their employer is the enemy that must be punished and the gov is their savior and they think gamer's who are not rolling in cash are the enemy and the industry is their best friend that they must protect at any cost .

Backwards and upside down.
#5MRL3G3NDPosted 2/20/2013 1:31:41 PM
I don't dislike used games...it's just not that big of a deal to me.

I am grown and I understand that the gaming industry missed out on a lot of profit because of gamestop...this is their solution.

Any game I ever wanted, I got and didn't care if it was new or not...I budgeted $60 for it, and if they have a used copy saving me $5 then yay for me...

There are some people who want a game but won't pay for it until it drops $20+ thats not fair to anyone but them..and as an adult I understand they have to do something about that...

They've been doing it for years on the PC...once I install MS office, I can't go around installing it on everything else...
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#6vigorm0rtisPosted 2/20/2013 1:32:25 PM
vgsrule posted...
Why are you singling games out? The entire economy works with, and accepts, the idea of reselling products. Literally every kind of product can be resold at some point. Any argument against used games, can be applied to anything else.

Comes down to this: most resale markets are symbiotic, they benefit the customer, original producer and reseller. The dominant business model for resale really only benefits the reseller. A 5-10% discount isn't enough to generate sales for that wouldn't otherwise exist or enough to generate further sales.

Gamestop's resale model is a bad one, period. I don't know anyone who dislikes used games.
---
"'Grab the guns!' 'What about the troll?' 'Leave the troll.'"--ATHF
#795_EclipsePosted 2/20/2013 1:35:58 PM
Basically people are stupid. Half have no idea how many negative effects for gamers this could and would produce and the rest just support it because it makes them feel superior to people who buy used games. (The biggest idiots of them all)
---
Favorite game to date - Xenogears \/-/-/-/\
#8foodeater4Posted 2/20/2013 1:37:16 PM
vigorm0rtis posted...
vgsrule posted...

Comes down to this: most resale markets are symbiotic, they benefit the customer, original producer and reseller. The dominant business model for resale really only benefits the reseller. A 5-10% discount isn't enough to generate sales for that wouldn't otherwise exist or enough to generate further sales.

Gamestop's resale model is a bad one, period. I don't know anyone who dislikes used games.

What about all the people who trade in games and then buy a new game they otherwise could not afford. That benefits everyone.

Not everyone trades in games and buys used games with the credit. Many trade ins are to buy a new release.
#9therickmu25Posted 2/20/2013 1:45:35 PM
The Devourer posted...
Because people are short sighted and close minded, basically. It's like singling games out for violence. Because of a short sightedness or some sort of vendetta they have more than likely

^ This applies to the people that curse and stone you if you mention games going all digital soon too. Even if you mention that you will be able to get them for real cheap ($5-10), they aren't listening. Just close mindedness "I need my round paperweight to put in my console". They are unable to listen or see the positives with something like that.
---
Games List: http://i.imgur.com/n5R72Cl.jpg
PC Setup: http://i.imgur.com/fUPqE7N.jpg
#10Dragon NexusPosted 2/20/2013 2:14:12 PM
Even if you mention that you will be able to get them for real cheap ($5-10), they aren't listening.

If you take Steam as a model, sure.
But I seriously doubt any digital only console will dopt such a model. Why should they? what other choice do you have on your new Xbox or Playstation?

Steam is competing against other digital distributors, retail and most importantly against pirates. You beat pirates not with DRM, but by offering a better service. If you own a console, you have only one option for your games - the digital games offered by the console's maker at the prices they set. Sure there's competition between the two consoles, but there's no actual insentive to really try to lower prices on amazing deals.

Just compare the existing digital/retail market we have now. compare Microsoft's sales to Steams.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln