This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The thing I don't understand about people who don't like used games...

#31scythecamPosted 2/21/2013 8:30:36 AM
Sheepinator posted...
scythecam posted...
If it was bad, publishers wouldnt do business with gs, but they do.

Can they legally avoid selling to one retailer even if they wanted to? Besides, how would not selling a new copy to GS prevent someone who bought the game at Walmart trading it in at GS?

Absolutely. Whens the last time you saw a rolex at wal-mart?

Publishers arent forced to sell games to gs, they willingly choose to.
And the give gs exclusive preorder crap on top of it.

Saying that publishers dont approve of gs is farcical, its nothing more than pr spin to rile up fanboys into a frothy rage, and is used as a scapegoat for all these asinine dlc/online pass schemes.

When people trade in a game to gs they get store credit. If publishers stop selling new games to gs, what are people going to use the credit for? More used games? Maybe, but we all know that people use the credit almost exclusively for new purchases, so if there arent any new games at gs, people will stop trading in there.

Publishers could end gs tomorrow.

But thats not what theyre really interested in.
---
One-and-Donecos
#32baueris24Posted 2/21/2013 8:35:35 AM
The thing I don't get with people that don't like used games is when the next gen gets here, what happens if you want to buy a game for the previous generation console? It can be hard or impossible to find a brand new copy when the companies focus on new consoles... you almost have to get it used.

As for digital, what happens if down the road they stop supporting the previous consoles and all your purchases become obsolete? I'd rather have a physical copy that I can play anytime!
#33SheepinatorPosted 2/21/2013 8:38:00 AM
scythecam posted...
we all know that people use the credit almost exclusively for new purchases

Do we? Pawn shops exist, they are all used goods. Or you could take cash from your GS trade-in. And that credit had about the same dollar amount going to GS in profit. It's not like you selling it to your buddy, there's a middleman taking almost half the money from the equation and re-investing it in new yachts and beachside vacation properties.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#34scythecamPosted 2/21/2013 8:38:43 AM
Sheepinator posted...
scythecam posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Btw, where can I find used cars and used electronics that are 100% identical to their new versions? If a used car was identical to a new car, wouldn't a lot fewer people buy new?

Yes, in this magical scenario people would still buy new cars.

Mainly because of warranties.

Most of which transfer to the new owner...

No. Many states allow cars to be sold as is without a warranty.

The states that do require them require ones that pale in comparison to ones you would receive if you purchased a new car.
---
One-and-Donecos
#35scythecamPosted 2/21/2013 8:41:06 AM
Sheepinator posted...
_OujiDoza_ posted...
Sheepinator posted...
_OujiDoza_ posted...
Sheepinator posted...
What I find amusing is that people support buying used games and GameStop's profit taking at the expense of the industry,

Except nobody even cares about GS, it's just the easy go - to counter argument when it comes to used gaming, nobody of sound mind goes to GS for used games anyway, only folks who do trade ins or parents.

GS has $8.4 BILLION revenue from used products (hardware+software) in the last 6 years, with around 48% profit margin. And unlike developers who maybe don't see a single dollar profit until years later and millions of units sold, GS sees profit from unit 1.

My point is that the thing that is always harped on about GS is that folks are conceding to used games as an alternative just to save $5, when that is not the case. GS's "newer" games sold as used don't sell near as much volume as folks here think, and if they do the only reason that is is because GS has the lifetime warranty on their used games - they have pretty decent deals on used games that have been out a while and essentially have dropped in price over time, I'd imagine a pretty good chunk of their revenue come from those sales.

So it's not like I'm not agreeing with you on your argument, I'm just coming at it from a different angle.

The important takeaway is that gamers in this case want to buy games, and they take their money and give it to GS execs. Then they complain when profit squeezed pubs start offering DLC, online passes, etc.

As if the nickle and dime dlc/microtranasction model wasnt part of the master plan to begin with.

You think we wouldnt see this stuff if used games didnt exist?

Get real.
---
One-and-Donecos
#36SheepinatorPosted 2/21/2013 8:41:43 AM
baueris24 posted...
The thing I don't get with people that don't like used games is when the next gen gets here, what happens if you want to buy a game for the previous generation console? It can be hard or impossible to find a brand new copy

Perhaps because the #1 retailer doesn't want to stock new copies because they'd prefer you to buy the used copy because they make much more profit from it? Also, digital sales are more common now than ever before, like Nintendo and Sony offering decades old games on their systems.

As for digital, what happens if down the road they stop supporting the previous consoles and all your purchases become obsolete? I'd rather have a physical copy that I can play anytime!

MS can drop support for 360 in 3...2...1... seconds. Oh look, I can still play all my games.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#37DrFeelgood1984Posted 2/21/2013 8:44:25 AM
vgsrule posted...
Why are you singling games out? The entire economy works with, and accepts, the idea of reselling products. Literally every kind of product can be resold at some point. Any argument against used games, can be applied to anything else.

I understand it from the business standpoint. Video games are a new enough media that it hasn't been completely integrated into culture yet, so there's some small chance of it being filtered out yet. I hate that, but I understand it.

What I don't get are the fans thinking that way. I want to know what makes games special in this regard. What reason is there to dislike the concept, that can only be applied to video games?

I don't understand why people line up to get ripped off by GameStop. I sometimes buy and sell used games on Craigslist.
#38baueris24Posted 2/21/2013 8:52:58 AM
Sheepinator posted...
baueris24 posted...
The thing I don't get with people that don't like used games is when the next gen gets here, what happens if you want to buy a game for the previous generation console? It can be hard or impossible to find a brand new copy

Perhaps because the #1 retailer doesn't want to stock new copies because they'd prefer you to buy the used copy because they make much more profit from it? Also, digital sales are more common now than ever before, like Nintendo and Sony offering decades old games on their systems.

MS can drop support for 360 in 3...2...1... seconds. Oh look, I can still play all my games.

Not every game is available digitally. Besides some people want the physical copy. Think of it this way if you support new games only... Suppose I want a copy of a rare game for the NES. How likely do you think I am to find a copy of it brand new? Not likely at all!

As for Microsoft dropping support, didn't they drop online for the original Xbox? If so what if years down the road they drop it for 360? You might not be able to download your purchase again.
#39scythecamPosted 2/21/2013 8:52:59 AM
Sheepinator posted...
scythecam posted...
we all know that people use the credit almost exclusively for new purchases

Do we? Pawn shops exist, they are all used goods. Or you could take cash from your GS trade-in. And that credit had about the same dollar amount going to GS in profit. It's not like you selling it to your buddy, there's a middleman taking almost half the money from the equation and re-investing it in new yachts and beachside vacation properties.

Funny how i never here pubs crying about pawn shops or ebay.

Has anyone here ever bought or sold a game to a pawn shop?

Gama sutra put out a study like 3 years ago that showed that 70% of people who traded in games used the credit for new purchases.

You said gs had 8 billion in used game revenue. Since they typically give half of what they sell for thats 4 billion, 70% of that is almost 3 bilion going back into the industry that disappears the second used games do.
---
One-and-Donecos
#40vashtrichamPosted 2/21/2013 11:04:39 AM
Quote:vgsrule posted...
Why are you singling games out? The entire economy works with, and accepts, the idea of reselling products. Literally every kind of product can be resold at some point. Any argument against used games, can be applied to anything else.

I understand it from the business standpoint. Video games are a new enough media that it hasn't been completely integrated into culture yet, so there's some small chance of it being filtered out yet. I hate that, but I understand it.

What I don't get are the fans thinking that way. I want to know what makes games special in this regard. What reason is there to dislike the concept, that can only be applied to video games?

I don't understand why people line up to get ripped off by GameStop. I sometimes buy and sell used games on Craigslist.

@DrFeelgood1984
There not getting roped of I swear people have no clue on how the business actually works. Just because gstop didn't give you $50 dollars for your used games does not mean your getting ripped off. Sure you can take long way and sell your games on EBay for a few more dollars. But gstop has enough promotions and rewards to make up for the few dollars plus it is way more convenient.
---
Sent from my iPhone via PowerGuides 1.10