This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The thing I don't understand about people who don't like used games...

#51TheBlueStigPosted 2/22/2013 7:45:34 AM
vigorm0rtis posted...
vgsrule posted...
Why are you singling games out? The entire economy works with, and accepts, the idea of reselling products. Literally every kind of product can be resold at some point. Any argument against used games, can be applied to anything else.

Comes down to this: most resale markets are symbiotic, they benefit the customer, original producer and reseller. The dominant business model for resale really only benefits the reseller. A 5-10% discount isn't enough to generate sales for that wouldn't otherwise exist or enough to generate further sales.

Gamestop's resale model is a bad one, period. I don't know anyone who dislikes used games.

The game market is different because retailers are allowed to make profit off almost all other products, but there is no profit for retailers on game systems, and there's not much profit per new game either.

Without the money generated by used sales, the numbers of new games and new game systems that get ordered would drop off drastically.
---
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Ben Franklin
#52WinternovaPosted 2/22/2013 7:49:57 AM
vgsrule posted...
The entire economy works with, and accepts, the idea of reselling products. Literally every kind of product can be resold at some point. Any argument against used games, can be applied to anything else.

You obviously don't understand the difference between works that are covered under copyright law and goods sold in the marketplace.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
Fan of: Steelers(6-time Champions), Red Wings(11-time Champions)
#53baueris24Posted 2/22/2013 8:13:06 AM
Sheepinator posted...

Go unplug the internet right now, you'll still be able to play your Arcade games (if you bought them on that console or later did a license transfer to that console). I understand the concern but I think it's over-blown. Even if it came to pass, I think it's a small minority who want to play decades old games, and if they're that important to them chances are they can re-buy them on the new systems for the price of a coffee. I think it's lame that people may end up re-buying, but it's also not the end of the world even in the worst case scenario, unless you're foolish enough to think MS would send out a mandatory dashboard update to disable all game playing on 360 even while offline, while putting a message on screen saying, "Buy 720, beeatches!" I'm not worried about that and I don't think you should be either.

What happens if your hard drive breaks and Live is no longer supported for 360? Even if you could re-buy them on new systems, that means that you have to shell out the money for a new system... what if you don't want a new console? Even if the price to redownload was dirt cheap, it's still BS. It's the principal: I paid for the game once, why should I have to keep buying it?
#54SheepinatorPosted 2/22/2013 8:18:55 AM
baueris24 posted...
Sheepinator posted...
Go unplug the internet right now, you'll still be able to play your Arcade games (if you bought them on that console or later did a license transfer to that console). I understand the concern but I think it's over-blown. Even if it came to pass, I think it's a small minority who want to play decades old games, and if they're that important to them chances are they can re-buy them on the new systems for the price of a coffee. I think it's lame that people may end up re-buying, but it's also not the end of the world even in the worst case scenario, unless you're foolish enough to think MS would send out a mandatory dashboard update to disable all game playing on 360 even while offline, while putting a message on screen saying, "Buy 720, beeatches!" I'm not worried about that and I don't think you should be either.

What happens if your hard drive breaks and Live is no longer supported for 360? Even if you could re-buy them on new systems, that means that you have to shell out the money for a new system... what if you don't want a new console? Even if the price to redownload was dirt cheap, it's still BS. It's the principal: I paid for the game once, why should I have to keep buying it?

Your HDD breaking is the same scenario as you damaging, breaking or losing a disc. Crap happens. Unlike a disc, you can pre-emptively avoid such a problem by downloading or transferring key content to 32GB USB sticks, today if you're so worried about it, to store in a fire proof safe. Now you're safer than if you own the disc.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#55baueris24Posted 2/22/2013 8:32:08 AM
Sheepinator posted...

Your HDD breaking is the same scenario as you damaging, breaking or losing a disc. Crap happens. Unlike a disc, you can pre-emptively avoid such a problem by downloading or transferring key content to 32GB USB sticks, today if you're so worried about it, to store in a fire proof safe. Now you're safer than if you own the disc.

Ok suppose I didn't have it stored on my hard drive for space reasons. Then you go to download it one day and Live is not supported anymore on the 360? Granted I'm sure they would give notice, but still it's just the point. I don't have to worry now because I don't have Xbox Live but for the people that do buy digitally, they could be screwed in the future. In the future you may only be able to buy digitally and there's a chance you can lose everything. Granted that may not happen for a couple console generations from now but it could be a problem. Also sometimes companies get out of the console business years down the road. Remember Sega? If this happens, there may not even be a console successor to re-download games on.
#56SheepinatorPosted 2/22/2013 8:38:29 AM
baueris24 posted...
Sheepinator posted...

Ok suppose I didn't have it stored on my hard drive for space reasons. Then you go to download it one day and Live is not supported anymore on the 360? Granted I'm sure they would give notice, but still it's just the point.... Also sometimes companies get out of the console business years down the road. Remember Sega? If this happens, there may not even be a console successor to re-download games on.

Don't you have *any* responsibility for your own purchases? You could buy a larger HDD. You could prioritize your HDD with the things most important to you. You could use a USB stick. Like you said, it's highly unlikely something like that would happen with no warning, but come on, if you're that worried about it why wouldn't you take a little personal responsibility hmmm?

I see tons of old Sega games on my 360 for about $5 or less, like I said slightly more than the price of a Starbucks.
---
#57baueris24Posted 2/22/2013 8:48:29 AM
Sheepinator posted...

Don't you have *any* responsibility for your own purchases? You could buy a larger HDD. You could prioritize your HDD with the things most important to you. You could use a USB stick. Like you said, it's highly unlikely something like that would happen with no warning, but come on, if you're that worried about it why wouldn't you take a little personal responsibility hmmm?

I see tons of old Sega games on my 360 for about $5 or less, like I said slightly more than the price of a Starbucks.

Don't you get the principal? Your supposed to be able to DOWNLOAD it any time you want when your online. If they take that ability away, they are screwing you over! Suppose the game companies came to your house and took your game discs from you every time a new console came out and said "Pay us $5 and we give your disc back!" Now of course this is a ridiculous scenario but so is re-buying games because they took what you were supposed to be able to do away from you. Price is irrelevant... it could be a penny it makes no difference..it's the principal.
#58SheepinatorPosted 2/22/2013 8:53:33 AM
baueris24 posted...
Sheepinator posted...

Don't you get the principal? Your supposed to be able to DOWNLOAD it any time you want when your online. If they take that ability away, they are screwing you over! Suppose the game companies came to your house and took your game discs from you every time a new console came out and said "Pay us $5 and we give your disc back!" Now of course this is a ridiculous scenario but so is re-buying games because they took what you were supposed to be able to do away from you. Price is irrelevant... it could be a penny it makes no difference..it's the principal.

Let's get some perspective here.

As you lie on your death bed 50 years from now, muttering about, "Those Microsoft bastards... 50 years ago I spent $10 on a game and all I wanted to do before I died was play it again, but I didn't back it up and I tried to download it yesterday and the service was down. They totally screwed me over."

Seriously come on, this is disposable low cost entertainment, it costs about the same as a movie ticket, lasts you a few hours longer, and you're hanging on to this thing that unless you have the service FOREVER you are being screwed? Go get a USB stick, problem solved. You're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist and even if it did, you have a cheap easy solution staring you in the face.
---
#59_OujiDoza_Posted 2/22/2013 8:55:34 AM
Sheepinator posted...
You're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist and even if it did, you have a cheap easy solution staring you in the face.

It's somewhat ironic that you of all people are bringing up cheap and easy solutions...

that's all I have to contribute, I'll show myself out now *tips hat*
---
WOULD SMASH: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm7oX1yCFU0
#60baueris24Posted 2/22/2013 9:10:08 AM
Sheepinator posted...

Let's get some perspective here.

As you lie on your death bed 50 years from now, muttering about, "Those Microsoft bastards... 50 years ago I spent $10 on a game and all I wanted to do before I died was play it again, but I didn't back it up and I tried to download it yesterday and the service was down. They totally screwed me over."

Seriously come on, this is disposable low cost entertainment, it costs about the same as a movie ticket, lasts you a few hours longer, and you're hanging on to this thing that unless you have the service FOREVER you are being screwed? Go get a USB stick, problem solved. You're complaining about a problem that doesn't exist and even if it did, you have a cheap easy solution staring you in the face.

No because I've never bought a game digitally. What happens if your USB stick gets corrupted data? I've never had a disc wear out on me. I take care of my games.Granted it could happen but the point is when you buy the game, you are supposed to be able to download it when you want. That's the deal. Granted if someone doesn't pay for their internet bills and loses service then yes that's the consumer's fault. However if the game companies discontinue service, that's their fault.

Honestly how do you feel about those games that are online only and then they shut down the servers? Wouldn't you feel that those people got screwed? In fact didn't that happen with that APB game that came out: the servers were shut down shortly after release (I'm not positive but I think this happened).

The point is your missing the principal. I'm not gonna lose sleep over it it's just games there's more important things in life. However I feel this is a way of letting people walk all over you.