This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will Microsoft kill the 360 quickly like Sony is killing the PS3?

#1DADDYISSUESPosted 2/20/2013 3:28:44 PM
So the PS3 looks like it's on an express elevator to irrelevance in a matter of minutes, do you think Microsoft will kill the 360 this quick?
---
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/iceageco/darth_hamlet.jpg
#2Carte360Posted 2/20/2013 3:31:44 PM
Quick? This has been the longest generation of systems yet. You do know what 'quick' means right?
---
Why would Microsoft worry about exclusives when it has the awe-inspiring Kinect to sell consoles. - MrRGerk
#3squarex8264Posted 2/20/2013 3:37:04 PM
Given that there are still some pretty big multiplat games coming out later this year for both systems... I wouldn't say Sony is "killing" the PS3.
---
Gamertag: Squ4rex
"You guys can sig that if you want." -TheArcade
#4richdmoorePosted 2/20/2013 3:45:32 PM
Sony sold the PS2 along side the PS3 for a long time. Microsoft, actually killed the original xbox very quickly once the 360 model was available.

Rumor was that because the original xbox used more off the shelf pc components, Microsoft had to pay more license fees to other companies, vs the 360 which the developed a lot of the tech in house, and simply paid companies like Foxconn to actually produce.

Also, I think Microsoft stopped production of the original months before the 360 was available, so not as many old systems were on the shelf at the same time to compete with the new system.
#5Dragon NexusPosted 2/20/2013 3:48:09 PM
Microsoft, actually killed the original xbox very quickly once the 360 model was available.

Contract broke down, couldn't sell the console out of contract, price of games would have skyrocketed, console hurried up to prevent there being a gap in the market, etc etc...
I've explained this too many times.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#6MRL3G3NDPosted 2/20/2013 3:49:56 PM
The 360 is still doing well with the cheap and casual crowds, I doubt if they kill it quickly...quickly would be 2 years...

The ps2 outsold the ps3 for many years, but the original xbox didn't have a bunch of titles or following...it benefitted them to go out early.

I think it's a good move for sony to blast out of the gate like this...hopefully it will wake MS u, and they can compete for our dollar again sheesh
---
The Closest You'll Ever Come to Afghanistan in Gaming...
http://youtu.be/GIhqUiQJt6Q
#7wombat013Posted 2/20/2013 3:53:00 PM
Microsoft stopped support of the original xbox 6 months after the 360 was released if I remember right.
---
He who needs a pat on the back makes every man his judge
#8jessica73Posted 2/20/2013 3:55:23 PM
this s***ty gen is like 7/8 years old, it's been time for a console switch
---
http://i.imgur.com/TqLlP.jpg
#9deimos91Posted 2/20/2013 3:55:24 PM
DADDYISSUES posted...
So the PS3 looks like it's on an express elevator to irrelevance in a matter of minutes, do you think Microsoft will kill the 360 this quick?

The last ps2 game has yet to be released the last xbox game was 2006 i think so to all the trolls who misunderstand the TC thats what he means
---
steam:fartman91/3DSFC:3265-5740-7951
#10flame030191Posted 2/20/2013 4:07:28 PM
PS3 isnt going anywhere for a while if PS1 and PS2 were any indication. Each was still supported for at least 3 years after the next released, both in game production and in system production. Online servers are still active for many games, such as SOCOM, Star Wars Battlefront, and FFXI. Xbox kept production for what, a year? Online support lasted one more.
---
PSN ID: Troll_Face_Flame (formerly armyflame) X360 gamertag: ArmyFlame9
The more people post on GameFaqs, the more I lose faith in humanity.