This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Motion controls? Social media? Mobile games? WHO CARES!!!!!????

#1protools1983Posted 2/20/2013 4:23:13 PM
Why are these the topics Microsoft and Sony keep talking about? I don't know one person who is interested in any of that garbage. Why are they insisting this crap is important. This may be the generation I bow out from gaming. If this is the future I want no part of it.

Hey Sony and Microsoft, you want the answer? KILLER IPs!!!!!!!!!! Tried and true, get to work! Stop trying to reinvent the wheel. If it ain't broke don't fix it.
---
Me - wat poopmist? DreamTheater33 - when you break wind and a mist of poop forms giving whoever is in the path pinkeye
#2DredjPosted 2/20/2013 4:37:14 PM
Console brands care about mobile gaming because of mobile phone gaming is killing the mobile "gamers" market.

Just look at how bad the DS got murdered by the iPhone. It's a phone, a social media device and it played games.
#3Dragon NexusPosted 2/20/2013 4:47:10 PM
Just look at how bad the DS got murdered by the iPhone. It's a phone, a social media device and it played games.

Well...it's a different market. The portable and home console market have always been seperate.
People look at the 3DS with its $40 games and then look at the phone they already have with games available at about $5 or whatever. The Vita has a mobile phone game available for it at something like 8x the price for no benefit. Just because it's on the Vita, apparently.

However, you can't get the home console experience on a phone.
---
"The problem with quotes on the internet is that you can never be sure if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
#4CaIiber345Posted 2/20/2013 4:55:20 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

MS and Sony think that they can get a piece of the pie like the originall Wii did, with motion based gaming and physical console/game interaction aimed at casuals. That ship has sailed, and Nintendo was the captain.

As for social media, personally I don't bother with it. I don't want to use it, and I don't care about Apps and Facebook and all of the social media connectivity on a gaming console. I just want to play video games and sometimes chat with friends while I do so. I own a PC, tablet, and smartphone. That's enough for my daily digital consumption.

However, social media is here to stay. It's an integral part of many people's lives, and its going to move forward as technology does. Whether we want it or not, its going to be there. All I want out of a next gen console is backwards compatibility with this gen's games, a generous standard HDD, and an affordable launch price. I will ignore the rest.
---
"Tonight was darker than technology." Warrior Soul, Chuck Pfarrer
Hail HYDRA!
#5BJW1980Posted 2/20/2013 5:07:54 PM(edited)
Couldn't agree more, TC. All this social gaming media crap sickens me. Gamers have devolved into these complacent, afraid to be alone/ unconnected for two seconds, texting obsessed weenies. When are these kids ever going to get off my lawwn..., ahem, console.
#6656stoogePosted 2/20/2013 5:12:03 PM
Who cares?

not me. Not me at all.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#7sk4ndalousPosted 2/20/2013 5:19:39 PM
and yet microsoft really pushed facebook on the 360 hard a few years back to the cheers of microsoft fanboys the world over.

lol
#8656stoogePosted 2/20/2013 5:23:19 PM
sk4ndalous posted...
and yet microsoft really pushed facebook on the 360 hard a few years back to the cheers of microsoft fanboys the world over.

lol

And none of us cared then either. I don't even have a facebook.
---
Meet the new love of my life--
http://itotd.com/view/80/
#9EternalDividePosted 2/21/2013 12:58:20 AM
Exactly. Who other than an overpaid think tank is Sony and MS listening to when they insist this social media bs is important and that it's what people want?
The gulf of disconnect between these companies and their audience is shocking.
It's games. Games! I buy a console for it's games. So does everyone else. Not because it does Facebook this and YouTube that. Chat rooms and cameras and the like. Why is such a simple concept so elusive to people who are supposedly experts in their fields?

And while my interest in this next gen went down by about 90% with Sony's insistence on social bs being their focus instead of gaming and MS sure to follow suit. I imagine I'll jump in eventually, maybe a few years down the line.
I WILL kiss gaming goodbye if and when digital download/cloud gaming becomes the only option to play new games. I'm sorry but the death of physical media will be the death of my support for the product.
#10scoobydoobydontPosted 2/21/2013 1:04:35 AM
I care about motion gaming and apps. Don't care about mobile though, and I can take or leave social gaming.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.