This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

MS now has no incentive to make XBLA games transfer over... PSN games don't.

#91smurfsn1p3rPosted 2/22/2013 7:35:55 AM
randomweirdo posted...
smurfsn1p3r posted...
What's wrong with keeping your Xbox 360 around? Not everything needs to be BC.

There's nothing wrong with it, but we all know very well that keeping your 360 around isn't something that will always work.

This isn't the days of the NES and SNES where the hardware lasts a long time. Electronics these days don't last long term. It's amazing to hear of someone who has had a current gen console that lasted over 5 years and wasn't collecting dust the whole time. It's a combination of a lot more parts involved, moving a lot faster and getting a lot hotter, also the fact that stuff just isn't made as well as it was years ago. Back in the 90s we expected our stuff to last for a long time, now people toss it in the trash when they get the new shiny.

Eventually, the current gen consoles will no longer be made or repaired. So what if your 360 kicks the bucket a couple years down the road? That's why gamers want backwards compatibility.

Honestly, I doubt Microsoft will say no backwards compatibility. They know from making Windows that users get mad when their stuff won't work any longer, and that's why Windows has continued to have stuff that allows people to run old stuff, even some DOS based programs still, even though we are long past that point. Some option will be present, it's just a matter of how well it works.

I can see that side, with DLC, and the expected termination of live support for the 360 down the road. But to be fair, this was always something on the back of everyones minds. 360 had limited support for the Xbox, was it to far fetched to think that they are looking forward, instead of limiting the console by adding BC support?

I would rather have a dedicated machine to play the new games, instead of having software emulation overwork my console regardless if I am playing a BC title or not.

The power of a PC to use to play disc based emus is pretty high, think about the strain on a console that you cannot replace any parts on.

We are after all consumers, we are renting the license to use the media, not actually buying the rights to use it however we want. I hate it as much as the next person, but I don't see either console really flopping because the BC is not there.
---
Skyrim has become this gens Final Fantasy VII.
#92SparkItUpPosted 2/22/2013 7:41:51 AM
Why would they make XBLA games backwards compatible? This way they can sell it to you a 2nd time (even more for some) on the next console...Smart business.
---
Does a time ever come with men stop acting like boys?
#93SirLemontPosted 2/22/2013 8:27:04 AM
If Microsoft decided to make their entire 360 category compatible with their new system, it will gain them an advantage...for awhile. Sooner or later, next-gen games will be the primary focus and everything else will be left by the wayside, besides the huge hits.
#94C810Posted 2/22/2013 4:54:23 PM
SirLemont posted...
If Microsoft decided to make their entire 360 category compatible with their new system, it will gain them an advantage...for awhile. Sooner or later, next-gen games will be the primary focus and everything else will be left by the wayside, besides the huge hits.

True, it would only be a short term advantage, but I think to the casual gamer it would seem a lot better. Since most of us here are hardcore gamers who follow what the Big Three do, we are more in tune with the gaming world as opposed to someone who just plays Madden or COD. Even if they only have backwards compatibility on the first wave of 720s, it could go a long way to win over casual people looking to be able to keep playing their favorite current gen games. I still have my copies of Halo and Halo 2, but I did buy Fable: The Lost Chapters after I lost my original copy. And I'm currently thinking about buying Black again since I really liked it on the original Xbox.

For me anyway, backwards compatibility would help to keep me on the Microsoft ship since MS has been doing a terrible job the last few years with DotW, releasing a core game, making new IPs, and shopping out the dashboard with a ton of ads. The PSN is a lot better now, and if Microsoft doesn't step up, I will, along with lots of others, move to Sony.
---
"Modern Biology is Chemistry, modern Chemistry is Physics, and modern Physics is...crazy." - Mark Peyron