This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

The next Xbox will not be backwards compatible if they want power. Here's Why.

#1MacBookAirPosted 2/21/2013 6:42:12 PM
Why? Different architectures. PowerPC games can't run on an x86-64 environment natively. It would require either full hardware emulation (which would cost price to go up easily past $600) or full software emulation, which is EXTREMELY difficult to do (wonder why there are no PS3/360 emulators?)

The only way the next Xbox would be Backwards Compatible from Day 1 is if they stick to the PowerPC architecture, which would limit the usable RAM (The Wii U is PowerPC based, which is why it's unable to have more than 2GB of RAM. 8GB of RAM is nearly impossible to implement unless you want the console to go into the $$$$ range), which would put it way under the PS4, and depending on how well they make use of the PowerPC, it could even slot under the Wii U in terms of ability.

I would strongly recommend holding onto your 360s. If they make the jump to x86-64 (and they will if they want a power system to compete with the PS4), you won't have B/C for a while.

For more detail check out my post on the PS4 boards: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/65518901
---
"Sweet Kitty, Sweet Kitty, send your topics unto me..." - Lord-Sheogorath
#2scoobydoobydontPosted 2/21/2013 6:43:45 PM
I'll hold onto my 360... and never buy 720.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#3xPercivala2536xPosted 2/21/2013 6:53:38 PM
I don't need Backwards compatibility. The PS3 and Xbox 360 aren't like the previous generation compared to this generation. It was a big jump graphics wise, and in general, game design. Back when the PS3 and Xbox 360 released, I was concerned about BC because my PS2 and Xbox were both old, and dying already. I own two great consoles, that I can fix myself if need be, with tons of great games, I don't plan on getting rid of these anytime soon. I still have my original PS2, and it just doesn't work well playing anymore. It's loud, it takes forever to load any game up(not because it's old, that's how systems were), were as I can turn on my PS3 or 360 and load up a downloaded game, or disc game, silently and quickly, faster than it would take on the previous systems. Granted I know the new generation will be quicker, but this is already fast.

Luckily I have a decent sized entertainment center for all these consoles to fit, and they easily stack and stand sideways so it's doable.
---
"I ran into a mexican dragon earlier, he used Unrelenting Force, but it came out TA COB ELL..." - blasterfaster443
#4zen_miseryPosted 2/21/2013 7:06:51 PM
Its like you don't even try to research before you vomit out "facts".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC Would be the basic starting point.

Right under Design Implementations: A complete 64-bit specification that is backward compatible with the 32-bit mode

64-bit built right into the standard.

Regardless, if Microsoft chose to use a 32-bit PowerPc the limitation would be 4GB, which is still a vast improvement over the 512MB the 360 currently has.

Lastly, scroll down to licenses in the Wikipedia page. Right under the 64-bit PowerPc you can see Microsoft listed.

GG
---
http://i634.photobucket.com/albums/uu68/wizco02/3e5d92f6.jpg
#5MacBookAir(Topic Creator)Posted 2/21/2013 7:14:33 PM(edited)
zen_misery posted...
Its like you don't even try to research before you vomit out "facts".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerPC Would be the basic starting point.

Right under Design Implementations: A complete 64-bit specification that is backward compatible with the 32-bit mode

64-bit built right into the standard.

Regardless, if Microsoft chose to use a 32-bit PowerPc the limitation would be 4GB, which is still a vast improvement over the 512MB the 360 currently has.

Lastly, scroll down to licenses in the Wikipedia page. Right under the 64-bit PowerPc you can see Microsoft listed.

GG

Except that I didn't give any false information.

I never said PowerPC couldn't be 64-bit.

However, why do you think Sony jumped to x86-64? Why do you think Apple chose to make computers with x86-64? it's easier to develop on, you can have more powerful resources with x86-64.

x86-64 is more powerful and efficient than PowerPC. It's a proven fact. I would rather Microsoft (And Nintendo) jump to the x86-64 platform at the sacrifice of BC than to use PowerPC, but suffer from lower powered systems.

Sony specifically stated the switch was so they could have a more powerful system that was easier for developers. Apple stated the reason why they switched to x86-64 was because it was nearly impossible to match its computers up with the higher end Intel machines at the time without costing outrageously ridiculous and in the case of their laptops, weighing insane amounts and requiring insane amounts of cooling. There was a time when PowerPC was better, but since around 05-06 that has quickly changed. x86-64 is the technological future and using PowerPC is just going to hurt them.
---
"Sweet Kitty, Sweet Kitty, send your topics unto me..." - Lord-Sheogorath
#6knightimexPosted 2/21/2013 10:50:15 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...

I can bet money that you'll buy a next gen console even if it doesn't have BC.
Sooner or later it will happen.

That or you're a casual.
---
Old School Games FTW!
#7scoobydoobydontPosted 2/22/2013 7:00:32 AM
knightimex posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...

I can bet money that you'll buy a next gen console even if it doesn't have BC.
Sooner or later it will happen.

That or you're a casual.

You would lose that bet.
---
The writing was on the wall with Bioware the minute you could completely void all of your decisions with one choice in KOTOR.
#8Kerr AvonPosted 2/22/2013 8:03:36 AM
MacBookAir is right that the Power PC can't run x86/x64 code. It's a real irritant that probably neither the XBox 720 nor the PS4 will be backwards compatible, as (for me) it means I'll have to keep those two plugged in to play the games I have for them, and I'm already short of HDMI sockets on my TV, having six consoles and a PC plugged in to it. It makes me envy PC only gamers, who can play all their games from present day back to the early eighties on one PC.
---
"PCs don't catch viruses or malware. Stupid users do." - The Cranky Hermit.
For all things N64: http://z9.invisionfree.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/
#9JKSonicPosted 2/22/2013 8:18:25 AM(edited)
It makes me envy PC only gamers, who can play all their games from present day back to the early eighties on one PC.

Which shows what... wait for it... If they wanted to give BC they could give it to us. Think how many different PC combinations there are out there. There is no way that with just a little foresight both MS and Sony couldn't have easily given us BC this next gen. Has nothing to do with power, it has to do with planning.
---
"You shouldn't be asking HOW things are, given that we already know there is something..but rather WHY things are, as opposed to there being nothing."
#10MacBookAir(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 8:41:40 AM
Kerr Avon posted...
MacBookAir is right that the Power PC can't run x86/x64 code. It's a real irritant that probably neither the XBox 720 nor the PS4 will be backwards compatible, as (for me) it means I'll have to keep those two plugged in to play the games I have for them, and I'm already short of HDMI sockets on my TV, having six consoles and a PC plugged in to it. It makes me envy PC only gamers, who can play all their games from present day back to the early eighties on one PC.

THANK YOU. Finally someone on this site with the mental capacity to understand.
---
x86-64 is the future. Read why here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691087-playstation-4/65518901