This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I feel like the Dead Space series is criminally under rated. Do you agree?

#1mrhappyguy12345Posted 2/22/2013 4:34:25 PM
Is the Dead Space series under rated? - Results (108 votes)
Yes, it doesn't get the respect it deserves.
25.93% (28 votes)
No, it's an ok series and gets just enough love.
56.48% (61 votes)
No, it's mediocre, and deserves the hate/lack of attention.
17.59% (19 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I've played the fist two, and am currently playing through 3 right now, and honestly, this is one of the best series in gaming imo. Disregarding the haters that naturally come out of the woodwork for bigger releases(as seen for ds3), every game seems to only get some love from a minority of people. Or some like 1 but hate 2 and 3. Or think 1 was ok and 2 was great and 3 sold out, etc.

Every game in the series is solid all around, and each sequel makes just the right improvements. They look amazing, have some of the best audio out there, and have original, fun gameplay with smooth controls, great atmosphere, a good variety of enemies and a decent story. I feel like the series should be up there with the bioshocks of the world, instead, most just see it as a second rate game in a dying genre.
---
I love video games : )
#2PMCkubrickPosted 2/22/2013 4:35:33 PM
can you define underrated
#3mrhappyguy12345(Topic Creator)Posted 2/22/2013 4:40:34 PM
PMCkubrick posted...

underrated past participle, past tense of unĚderĚrate

Verb Underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something)
---
#4BBBanks03Posted 2/22/2013 4:45:36 PM
I think he's asking more along the lines of why you would think a very popular series would be considered in your eyes underrated? Everyone knows what the standard definition is.
---
Can someone bum me a sig? I'm fresh out.
#5skiguy1981Posted 2/22/2013 6:29:41 PM
mrhappyguy12345 posted...
PMCkubrick posted...

underrated past participle, past tense of unĚderĚrate

Verb Underestimate the extent, value, or importance of (someone or something)

um ok still I don't think it is underated
---
The problem with Internet quotations is that many are not genuine. - Abraham Lincoln
#6rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/22/2013 6:33:17 PM
Pretty sure TC doesn't know what "underrated" means.

The first two games were critical smashes. They couldn't be underrated. If anything, they were probably slightly overrated, though I enjoyed them immensely. The third game is a piece of ****, and fortunately the reviews are accordingly mediocre.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#7StucklnMyPantsPosted 2/22/2013 6:48:37 PM
I enjoyed the first game a lot, but really disliked the second one. I think the first one did a good job of keeping the mood tense as you get a pretty decently sized level, each stage, to explore and the player isn't really ever sure where the enemies can come from. In 2, the somewhat explorable levels from the first game, were abandoned in lieu of what essentially boiled down to a single path with rooms that unlock once all of the enemies are dead.

Emphasis was also placed more on shooting lots of things, which I think takes away from "horror" aspect of the first game (at least what little there already was). The 2nd one just didn't have the same feeling of desolation as the first one did because you get to see the enemies so often. I understand that it's a hybrid, but I think the mix or shooter/horror was skewed more towards shooting in DS2, which left the horror aspect as an after thought, or at least not as prevalent as it was in the first game.

I haven't played 3, but from what I've heard on here and from what direction they decided to take 2 in, I doubt I'd like it all that much. I think the first Dead Space is underrated. Dead Space 2, not so much. Just my two cents.
---
Americans speak American. English speakers are in England. The two languages are quite different - cup_a_soup
#8NE_PatriotsFanPosted 2/22/2013 6:54:41 PM
rockyoumonkeys posted...

The first two games were critical smashes. They couldn't be underrated. If anything, they were probably slightly overrated, though I enjoyed them immensely. The third game is a piece of ****, and fortunately the reviews are accordingly mediocre.

Metacritic scores are in the 80's for Dead Space 3 and the game is improved in so many ways. The first 2 were great, the third is a great improvement/ much needed change to formula.

I like how you guys whine when COD never changes, but when a game does change its formula (dead space 3) it gets massive hate from the fans.
---
It's funny how we give thanks for all that we have on Thanksgiving Day and then the next day go out and act like a bunch of materialistic idiots.
#9rockyoumonkeysPosted 2/22/2013 7:08:48 PM
NE_PatriotsFan posted...
rockyoumonkeys posted...

Metacritic scores are in the 80's for Dead Space 3 and the game is improved in so many ways. The first 2 were great, the third is a great improvement/ much needed change to formula.

I like how you guys whine when COD never changes, but when a game does change its formula (dead space 3) it gets massive hate from the fans.

Jesus, is EA paying you too? DS3 isn't an improvement in any way. Not one single way. And a "much needed change to the formula" doesn't help when the change is for the worse. What, you felt like Dead Space games were too space-oriented? Well you got your wish! Now it's almost entirely planet-bound! Bonus points because the one planet is lifeless and bland and the same thing everywhere you look! Didn't like the enemies? Well now you get to kill other humans! Hooray!

People whine because COD doesn't change at all. Like, not even a little. And there's been like three times as many COD games as DS games.
---
Formerly Known As: boingboingboing
Now Reading: Great North Road, P. Hamilton
#10mrhappyguy12345(Topic Creator)Posted 2/23/2013 6:36:26 AM
Bump
---